Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Im going to do that and a dependency to check if phone have theme changer installed.

It is necessary that the folder that is going to be packaged be located in /home/user? it can be in /home/user/MyDocs when applying the make--deb?

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
It can be anywhere, even in MyDocs, but in MyDocs it will lose file permissions since it will be in FAT and not in ext2. A theme should package fine but an application would lose its executing permissions.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Hi Zas, you teach me how to package a theme.
I learned that well, but now someone publish a theme changer in ovi store(http://store.ovi.com/content/300721), and i would like to add it as a "must need" for my theme package. How do i make this? Maybe im wrong but is it call dependency?

Last edited by flotron; 2012-07-28 at 18:42.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hi,

I wanted to use/share some icons from another package.
- If the other package is installed, everything is fine and I can use these icons.
- If the other package is not installed, I may put it to my package as dependency. But this would install not only the icons, but the application itself (which I do not want).
- When I put these icons into my package, I get an error (like "overwriting sth").

After some discussion with 412b we came to the conclusion, that only chance is to have the other package's maintainer split his package into two parts (one application, and one only icons). Other and mine package will then depend on his 'icon package'.
But this solution would mean work for the other party, which I would like to avoid (as it may not be possible or other package maintainer not available).

So, briefly: is there a chance to distribute some icons in my package, that are already installed by another package?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
maybe you can take that package as dep, and make a script in your package to delete that app files which you dont need and leave only the icons

hope this help

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

No, no, installing some package, then deleting it and leaving only icons is a holy **** mess, probably worst solution possible.

The only way is to just use icons in question with different name - considering their size (and fact, that they're supposed to land in opt, anyway), it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, not worth the effort,

Theoretically, it would be possible by some bug-prone post-install scripts, that check for file existence, and depending on it, either symlink, or put icons in place... But it would be still problematic for someone who install AIS *later* than Your package.

Just rename the icons, and put them into Your package

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
No, not really.

Imagine the user wants to use that package also!
Putting a dependeny and then remove all that stuff later (what about postinst/prerm and so on?) is not a good choice, especially for packages provided by someone else.

And btw if "my" icons are installed first, then the other package will not install with the same error.

--edit
Did only see sifos reply.
Estel you are absolutely right and this is how I handled situation. But, (even it is only 36k) I am not satisfied with that. And icons go to /usr/share, which is not optified, right?
Just wanted to keep rootFS clean.....

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-07-28 at 16:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
sorry peterleinchen i was wrong

what about making new icons for your package ?
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

peterleinchen, on my device, /usr/share/icons is just a symlink to /opt/usr/share/icons.

Is it true also for others, or I've kicked it there myself, and forget about doing so?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Has ANYONE, got clear instructions of how to package a DEB on the N9?

Including exactly what you put in the control file?

Help would be really appreciated.