Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Would it be too far stretched to assume some lawyer at Paypal has read the Neo900 specs and concluded it is not something they want to sponsor.
I remember their behavior towards WikiLeaks.

FLOSS stack and privacy

Neo900 can be used with 100% Free Software stack. Forget about spying and influences of intelligence agencies. If you turn off GSM modem from the software, you can be sure it's really turned off.
I would say that is not the case. Then theu would have seized the account.
It is true that card brands like VISA and Mastercard have strict rules on goods they allow sold on their cards. Also on who is on the board etc etc. But, this is not one included.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Their terms lists (bolded which ones I believe did the verdict)

How long you’ve been in business.
Whether your industry has a higher likelihood of chargebacks, refunds, or fraud.
Whether your account has had a higher than average number of customer disputes, claims, chargebacks, bank reversals, or refunds.
Whether you’re selling products or services in advance (preselling orders).
Your processing history with PayPal and other providers.
Your business and/or personal credit history.
Your delivery time frames - whether there are extended delivery timeframes.
If there have been significant changes in your business such as: large increase in daily or monthly sales, increase in your average sale price, increase in your dispute, claim, chargeback, or refund rates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Also sorry for that but it was for health reasons that I been way too quiet during last few weeks, and for same reasons I have to announce that I'm not available during next 3 weeks. Werner (wpwrak) will be a great temporary replacement for me.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
There is a way to help this situation that is faster than 180 days.

1. Some users express interest in sending their funds to Neo900 via non-paypal means.
2. These users identify their paypal accounts to Neo900
3. Neo900 finds these transactions in paypal and reverses them.
4. Users receive funds back from paypal, and send to Neo900

If having returned transactions has a negative impact on seller ranking, I imagine it would be Neo900's choice between the ranking impact and waiting 180 days.

Paypal's safest bet when so much money may be charged back is to sit on it until they know they won't have to be responsible for chargebacks. And I imagine they don't want the reputation hit of helping subversion of a corporate monopoly.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 719 times | Joined on May 2014 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by thiveertm View Post
3. Neo900 finds these transactions in paypal and reverses them.
Yes, this is one of the ideas we're trying to float by PayPal (see the attachment in Joerg's post).

One possible problem I suspect may exist is that PayPal might not remove reversed transactions from the reserve. Their terms and conditions are not clear on the interaction between reserves and reversals.

If this is the case, reversing transactions would only make things worse. So we have to tread carefully there.

- Werner

The Following User Says Thank You to wpwrak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wpwrak View Post
Yes, this is one of the ideas we're trying to float by PayPal (see the attachment in Joerg's post).

One possible problem I suspect may exist is that PayPal might not remove reversed transactions from the reserve. Their terms and conditions are not clear on the interaction between reserves and reversals.

If this is the case, reversing transactions would only make things worse. So we have to tread carefully there.

- Werner
Yes, please be extremely carefull with that. I have a very strong feeling that the reserve will remain, even if PP reverses the transactions (which they will of course do).
The reservations is there to protect them. Its a part of their risk management.
The only way to prohibit this is to completely close the agreement account - with PP, and even then, PP might decide to keep the reserve for a certain time, before releasing.

Best advice, dont do it that way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
If someone who donated a small amount is willing to participate, you could use them as a test. Then only a small amount of money is up to question.
  • If the transaction cannot be reversed because the money is in the reserve, the money stays in the reserve, and we learn the technique does not help
  • If the transaction is reversed, but the reserve balance stays, then paypal has messed their books up and you have extra money
  • If the transaction is reversed, and the reserve balance drops, and this is a problem because you need to meet the quota, you can deposit the money back in the paypal account.

But i think reversing some consenting transactions could be the only way to get money out in a reasonable amount of time. If legal action is planned, before doing the technique en masse, I imagine you'd want to check with a lawyer to see if the behavior might support or hinder the legal action.

Originally Posted by wpwrak View Post
You can do this without needing the transaction list from paypal by choosing transactions of consenting users from your personal transaction history on paypal's website.

The Following User Says Thank You to thiveertm For This Useful Post:
If someone who donated a small amount is willing to participate, you could use them as a test.
We are still trying to keep the way open for a resolution going forward, i.e., to convince PayPal that our project and customers pose no extraordinary risks for them and that they can therefore remove the reserve.

Reversals would have an adverse effect on our "rating", so we would not want to make this sort of experiment at the present time.

Unfortunately, PayPal are not as easy to "debug" as a piece of software. Running the problem scenario again and again until you figure out what's wrong isn't likely to produce desirable results in this case.

- Werner

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wpwrak For This Useful Post:
You can do this without needing the transaction list from paypal
PayPal has responded numerous times when asked by our supporters about specific transactions that these transactions were not affected by the reserve.

So without PayPal telling us exactly which transaction are in the reserve, we would not learn anything useful by such an experiment.

- Werner

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wpwrak For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, webshop