I hope the venue (or more specifiically, the presentation rooms) support following things.

- DVI cable/interface to overhead projector, not just the typical VGA one

Also, to take advantage of the great hardware in N900 during presentions, at least one of the following:
- additional (large) TV with analogue video RCA interface/adapter cable
- additional overhead projector with analogue video RCA interface/adapter cable
- Analog video (RCA) cable/interface in the main overhead projector

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Wifi internerd access, please.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Wifi internerd access, please.
I second that. Last time WiFi was down almost all the time.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
When I was with Nokia we had a team conference in Paris Disneyland hotel. You would think with the rates involved they would have decent wifi. Nope. It was the worst I've ever been on. We had to tether our cell phones for "internerd" () access. Wonder how much THAT cost Nokia.

So, yeah... robust wifi is good.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
When I was with Nokia we had a team conference in Paris Disneyland hotel. You would think with the rates involved they would have decent wifi. Nope. It was the worst I've ever been on. We had to tether our cell phones for "internerd" () access. Wonder how much THAT cost Nokia.

So, yeah... robust wifi is good.
My experience about wifi in france is limited to Nice (TI has offices there) but it has been probably the most disappointing ever.

Hey, while I'm thinking about it: what of name badges? It would be cool to have them with our legal name, member name and an image of our icon here.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hm, I thought that the wifi was great last year (as compared with other conferences). It is probably the single-most important feature to have, though, so I hope they do it right this year.

Badges were great last year (other than having too small a font size): they had real/user names and were two-sided. Really cool. The avatar idea is cool, but that would require color (most likely), which would be expensive.

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Grey scale conversion?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Mox View Post
I hope the venue (or more specifiically, the presentation rooms) support following things.

- DVI cable/interface to overhead projector, not just the typical VGA one

Also, to take advantage of the great hardware in N900 during presentions, at least one of the following:
- additional (large) TV with analogue video RCA interface/adapter cable
- additional overhead projector with analogue video RCA interface/adapter cable
- Analog video (RCA) cable/interface in the main overhead projector
Er... can you explain the reasoning of this? We can think of special cases for the main room, or at least one room at a time if all this "overhead" is easy to transport. But having this setting for the 3 rooms all the time might be too much overhead.

About network, 500 WLAN accesses have been ordered. Should be enough. The venue promised to oversee that the networks works at all times: they have a high capacity network here (privately held optic fibre, lightning fast, 24/7 monitoring). However at the same time they recommended some instructions for the usage: "heavy downloading on wifi isn't the best for everyone - should be avoided".

Access codes are planned to be individual and available at the registration - another incentive for all to come through the registration. All summit buildings will be linked as one network - everyone need to access just once.

Badges, the plan is to produce them based on the information submitted in the registration. If someone wants to design a template and propose the good size now is the right time.

We can make them slightly bigger for better visibility, and then you can customize them at will adding your own avatar, a logo of your project, a picture of your pet... whatever you prefer but DIY.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
When I was with Nokia we had a team conference in Paris Disneyland hotel. You would think with the rates involved they would have decent wifi. Nope. It was the worst I've ever been on. We had to tether our cell phones for "internerd" () access.
Unfortunately I think that as the hotel rate goes up, the quality of wifi goes down And if the quality doesn't go down, you have to pay an absurdly high fee for using the wifi of the hotel.

In the end I prefer smaller hotels (often non-chain hotels), where usually there's complimentary wifi, so that I won't get "scammed" with high-fee-low-quality internet access