Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Long story short, I didn't want the FM Transmitter status menu applet to hide after I disabled it. Unfortunately, it's closed source and I didn't want to have to add another applet just to enable it. Looking at it, it wasn't complicated so even I could write a clone. It's pretty much a 1:1 clone (with the showing of error messages broadcast by fmtxd over D-BUS, usage of Nokia strings for localisation, and everything). IDA Pro FTW.
Only things I did differently was to ensure that the button is always there in the status area and I made sure that all memory was freed...

With the FM Transmitter off:

With it on:

Download: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=13
Place the .so in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop, being sure to backup the previous one.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-06-05 at 08:00.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
This is exactly what I need, but I ran into a problem. Could someone help me out with the following problem:
Attempt 1: I tried to rename the orginal file, but I got "Access denied"
Attempt 2: I copied/pasted the original file and wanted to replace the original for the new file, bit also "Access denied".
I used GPE File manage.
Thanks in advance.

As a wild guess, you probably need root perms? Try sudo gainroot first (assuming you have rootsh installed, if not get it form the repos).

Thanks for your reply Pigro. I will do some research on gainroot and rootsh (this is all new to me).

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Long story short, I didn't want the FM Transmitter status menu applet to hide after I disabled it. Unfortunately, it's closed source and I didn't want to have to add another applet just to enable it. Looking at it, it wasn't complicated so even I could write a clone. It's pretty much a 1:1 clone (with the showing of error messages broadcast by fmtxd over D-BUS, usage of Nokia strings for localisation, and everything). IDA Pro FTW.
Only things I did differently was to ensure that the button is always there in the status area and I made sure that all memory was freed...

With the FM Transmitter off:

With it on:

Replacement .so here; source here. Place the .so in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop, being sure to backup the previous one.
WOW! Thanks for opening this up... you're still the best mang.

This approach if generalized across the board, opens many things up to the imagination.

SLN member # 009

May I ask for some help of the pro's in this forum?
I have RootSh installed, but I assume that I have to back-up and replace a .so file via X terminal/sudo gainroot . Could someone give me a clue on which commands I need to use in order to back-up and swap a file via XTerminal?
Thanks in advance.

How about a new applet that will always be there but with
the difference that you can start/stop the tm transmitter directly without
to wait that the settings app pop up from the bottom screen

something like this

[FM Transmitter __| \ / ]
[Frequency _____ | / \ ]

so i can just click on the right side of the applet to quickly turn
the transmitter on / off

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
To backup:
Code:
cp /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/fmtx_status_menu_item.so /home/user/MyDocs/fmtx_status_menu_item.so.orig
That should store it in MyDocs/"Nokia N900"
To replace it (assuming the file was downloaded to MyDocs/"Nokia N900"
Code:
cp /home/user/MyDocs/fmtx_status_menu_item.so /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/
You can use the onscreen tab button to complete file and directory names (or CTRL+I)

Of course you need to do all that (except the backup part) ^ as root

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-06-05 at 15:01. Reason: meh, forgot the /

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by Mike Fr View Post
May I ask for some help of the pro's in this forum?
I have RootSh installed, but I assume that I have to back-up and replace a .so file via X terminal/sudo gainroot . Could someone give me a clue on which commands I need to use in order to back-up and swap a file via XTerminal?
Thanks in advance.
copy the original file to somewhere safe (create a backup folder perhaps?) you can copy system files and paste them elsewhere without root permission so some file managers will work for that, you just need root permissions to write to system folders.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
(heavy sigh) If only I had this...

Instead of this...

...my life would be as it should be.

...Keep on hexin' mang!

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-04 at 03:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: