Active Topics

One thing I would like to see on my N810, N900 as well as all future cell phones, is a Wake On Power event.

It's not really a new idea as I have had it or similar (Wake on PME, Resume After Power Loss, etc) on several old motherboards.

My N810 already flashes a white Nokia logo when it receives power. At this point I would have liked it to boot. And I have yet not ever plugged in my cell phone when it's shut itself down, and wanted it to stay off. I usually want my phone turned on unless I've specifically turned it off myself. So, if my device preferences has a Wake On Power option, I would set it to 'yes'.

This is functionality I think should be included in all future cell phones, really.

As to why I want this functionality for my N810, the reason is I believe it would make it a better device for mounted car usage. I have written a complex use case here that would require Wake On Power functionality: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59369

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
That would be a nice feature. I agree.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
What do you mean? Have the N810/N900 boot up into the desktop when the charger is plugged in instead of showing the charging/blank screen, respectively?

If so, for the N900 "flasher-3.5(.exe) --set-rd-flags=force-power-key" should do it.

For the N810, look at my changes to bootreason.c in http://qwerty12.qole.org/the_insane_kernel.diff and apply the patch to the kernel.
Once I applied that, I modified /mnt/initfs/linuxrc by adding
Code:
        bootreason=`cat /proc/bootreason`
        if [ x"$bootreason" = x"charger" ]; then
                echo pwr_key > /proc/bootreason
        fi
before the line telling it to start DSME. This did two things:
  1. Made the linuxrc script start my tablet in runlevel 2, not runlevel 5 which is where it usually starts when the charger is plugged in.
  2. Made closed-but-core programs like MCE that query DSME for the bootup status think it was started by pressing the power key. This is important because, otherwise, you'll end up at the desktop because it's started in runlevel 2 but MCE will show the charging screen and you're then still required to press the power key again.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-07-29 at 17:53.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
That is exactly what I mean.

Well, apart from the part about cell phones should have it as an option. I'm not thinking just for me, here. But this hack would probably work just fine for me, though.

Even better for my in-car needs would be a saved state hibernation, but I don't know if the Nxxx devices are capable for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
@qwerty12
Hmmm I'll definitely have to give this a try. It's been driving me nuts.

Maybe it could even be implemented in the community SSU?

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
What is a community SSU? Is it a project that ever finishes, or is it more like MER?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
What is a community SSU? Is it a project that ever finishes, or is it more like MER?
It has a working deliverable. See this thread:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30648

... and search the wiki. I think there is an install file there that sets up the repos.

Tags
wake on power, wop option