Active Topics

It appears that a lot of people are having trouble with splitting the proesthetic rear-end from the RS-MMC card on their 770s.

A quick summary: An RS-MMC card is like the front half of an MMC card. To make an RS-MMC card fit into a standard MMC slot, there's a plastic and metal piece that clips on and makes the card bigger.

Before you install the RS-MMC card into your 770, or any other RS-MMC only device, you must remove this piece. There's usually a part of it labelled "Press." Press it, and gently pull apart, and it'll just come apart.

In case you feel uncomfortable with it, I have a short video showing you how to split it:
Splitting an RS-MMC card

Good luck!

Exactly what RS MMC cards work with the 770? I've never used them so I don't understand all the terminology to do with dual voltage and so on. Do you need to get one that is specifically for Nokia phones? I have seen them advertised as such. Or will any generic card do? Thanks!

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ St Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Simon
Exactly what RS MMC cards work with the 770? I've never used them so I don't understand all the terminology to do with dual voltage and so on. Do you need to get one that is specifically for Nokia phones? I have seen them advertised as such. Or will any generic card do? Thanks!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...read.php?t=298

Excellent, thanks!

What's going on with "dual voltage" RS-MMC cards is what has gone on with various other computer interfaces over time.

Voltages keep going down. You can get by with smaller chips and lower power (to vastly simplify things) with a lower voltage. In addition, for every _different_ voltage that a device supports, you need extra components. Thus, you don't want to support more different voltages in a device than you need.

The RS-MMC card that came with my 770 says "1.8/3.0v" That means that it'll work with either 1.8v or 3.0v - it's called "dual voltage."

In other words, the chips used to build it are capable of operating at 1.8v, but are able to tolerate a higher voltage. Flash chips (the ones actually inside the RS-MMC card) that can work at 1.8v are not as common as 3v or 5v ones (my first flash cards required 12v...)

Cheaper / older / more common RS-MMC cards - like the 512MB hama brand one I have - use cheaper flash memory that requires 3v to work. Newer Nokia phones and numerous other devices only have 1.8v power to their RS-MMC slots, so 3v cards simply won't work.

The Nokia 770 has a 3v RS-MMC slot. This means that any RS-MMC card will work in it.

To summarize: RS-MMC cards are "dual voltage" or "single voltage." Single voltage means they work only at a higher voltage; dual voltage means they work at high or low voltage.

RS-MMC slots in devices are either 3.0v or 1.8v. The 770 is 3.0v, and works with all cards. Most newer Nokia phones are 1.8v and only work with dual voltage cards.