Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
2015 is way in to the blue. Jolla will be half bankruptcy before that and as it stands, no point in creating a countdown yet. Prepare for the worst expect ...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

Honestly, I don't see any point in them risking getting sued to high heaven & the hellish lows, with the only upside of selling small amount of devices to the most hardcore open source fanatics.

EDIT: My semi-uneducated guess would be that litigation case from just one major player (Apple, Google, Qualcom; etc.) would propably cost rougjly their current seed capital.
I was wondering. Several folks here have said that Jolla would not release their phone in US due to fear of litigation. So, I would like to ask. What feature(s) of the Jolla phone would Apple, Samsung, Google..pick your company, find they would have a good case for suing Jolla because it violated one of their patent rights. As a follow up. Why should these companies wait till Jolla tries to sell a phone in US? Why not sue now as these companies have a vested interest in Europe. Just askin'...

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
It doesn't matter what presumably patented feature Jolla has stepped on, that's just an excuse to bring the company into litigation. It may just be that they use - OMG! - roundish icons.
The problem is going through those litigations is expensive, and while all those companies you mentioned have plenty of money to burn (and a resident attorney dept. to feed), Jolla cannot afford any of that.
Europe is a relatively safer ground as such nonsensical litigation requests are not granted that easily.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Oulu, Finland
Well, Nokia patent department did manage to get HTC One mini blocked from the UK, although the ban was quite short-lived.

The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No one will sue jolla until they steeling any % in market share. First you have to prove yourself. If they were a threat it would be easier to buy it and or convince the manufacture not to work with jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I agree with @Dave999 that as long as Jolla is not seen as a threat, Apple will not bother to start any litigation against it. Also, the patent/legal system is more sane in Eureope than in USA, you cannot win here just by throwing enough money in like you can in the states.

However, if Jolla enters USA markets, the next day it will be lawbombed by the fruit company for entering their home turf. It will not matter it probably costs more than they gain from it, they will do it just because they are mean and want to harm others.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Thanks for the input, although I'm still not sure what feature is worth suing over. I remember Samsung was sued by Apple because some of the Galaxy phones had a little bounce effect at the end of a scroll that Apple claimed ownership of. I think Samsung actually had to remove that effect (can't remember if this suit was in Europe). Anyways, give me a break! I guess it is the sorry state of things that these large companies have plenty of cash to throw at frivolous litigation if they are so inclined. So how about this situation. If Jolla sold a version of their phone such that it could get 4G/LTE in US but did not officailly support it in US like Nokia did not support the N9. Would this situation begin the wave of lawsuits?

@Rauha: There is no such thing as standard GSM frequencies. All kind of regions use different ones, and European is nowhere a "standard".

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA

Only recent modems address this insanity properly by supporting literally all possible bands. Unfortunately Jolla didn't use one of those in their first device, because they come only in the latest SoCs.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-02-16 at 01:16.