Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Sounds like a plan. But no. I do not think that will happen unless these 8 m has the requirment of a basic feature phone. The amount is not enough. The user base is not big enough.

Unless the Russians secretly have lined up the top 5000 developers working with the os, top notch applications an services.

To me this sounds like news scam..
But I would be really impressed if they can squeeze out an useful osES with cool and great and useful services included within 2,5 years! GORUSSIA!
I dunno, a government phone might like the fact there is no apps for it. So its used for work and nothing else.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
I m fine without apps if they focus on security.
I now that mayority "needs" the app but now they have 8 million userbase only government and in all over the world many users looking for some Linux-Phone to break with US-monopole.
So in to years we can focus to find KGB-keys and delete them

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
PS And if you want some non-casual stuff, you can always order anything from another country with no taxes up to 1000 euro/person/month.
Do you offer a forwarding service to help out fellow EU members (at least until Brexit )?

Non-EU imports hit, depending on cost and type of item, VAT and import taxes in the UK. If you haven't pre-paid this, you then get an added fee by the delivery company of £8+ for them to take the payment from you. It's annoying when the cost of goods in the US is the same here in pounds ($200 Vs £200), especially when the exchange rate was much better for the UK. By the time you add shipping and taxes most of the time it isn't worth it.

Should the day come when a decent Sailfish device is released, I expect it'll be when the UK is no longer part of the EU so I'll have to slap all those costs on top. Currently compiling a list of movies and music to import before then. To put some context to it, a CD from Japan that used to cost about £18 is now £30+. The fall in exchange rate means cost of good is higher, cost of shipping is higher, which takes you over the limit for avaoiding tax.

So, someone release a decent device before then. Pretty please.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think there's enough political "oomph" to get a "hard Brexit" through parliament. Probably not the right forum to discuss it in detail, but something like an EFTA brexit seems most likely to me.

Agree with your points about the cost of electronics in the UK, although apparently a larger chunk of the difference is due to manufacturer pricing than you might think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The price of something is dictated by one thing only: how much the customers are willing to pay. How much the customers are willing to pay is determined in part by their expectations, which in turn is determined in part by how much they paid for a similar thing in the past.

The customers in Europe and especially UK have always paid more for the same thing than their US counterparts, regardless of which side of the pond the thing was made on. How it came to be is not so important. What is important is that the manufacturers are aware of that and know that, as a result, UK customers are prepared to pay more. They have no reason not to take advantage of that, so it is not going to change any time soon.

Last edited by pichlo; 2018-09-15 at 20:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
I m fine without apps if they focus on security.
I now that mayority "needs" the app but now they have 8 million userbase only government and in all over the world many users looking for some Linux-Phone to break with US-monopole.
So in to years we can focus to find KGB-keys and delete them
And SSL certificates for MITM, analytics, you name it!

It all comes down on how MER will evolve, really.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
I better use US product then russian! I love sailfish but if russians will write even 1 line of code that we can't read it because it will be proprietry i will throw Sailfish away! Russia is enemy of my country Georgia. Russia has occupied 25% of my country. First territory we lost in 1992 war. Second in 2008. Their army is still on that territories and frequently takes people in exchange for money or kills them! They took our territory. I will stop using SFOS and promote other linux based OSs in Georgian forums and explain to others why they need to stop using SFOS. I helped a lot of people here and on Georgian forums to install SFOS and have aliendalvik running, also wrote my native language keyboard for my friends and Georgian forum members but if russia put's his hands in sailfish OS it will be dead to me!!! There is Kde plasma mobile, also ubuntu phone which is better already because it can connect to display and use my phone as desktop which sfos can't and probably will not be able ever. So russians in SFOS = FU SFOS!!!

Russians have already written code for Sailfish RU, some of which is probably ported upstream to the SF core code. So you should run away.

PS To be fair, you should also mention that If it wasn't for Russia, there would be no Georgia today, it would be a Turkey or Iran territory.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
I better use US product then russian! I love sailfish but if russians will write even 1 line of code that we can't read it because it will be proprietry i will throw Sailfish away! Russia is enemy of my country Georgia. Russia has occupied 25% of my country. First territory we lost in 1992 war. Second in 2008. Their army is still on that territories and frequently takes people in exchange for money or kills them! They took our territory. I will stop using SFOS and promote other linux based OSs in Georgian forums and explain to others why they need to stop using SFOS. I helped a lot of people here and on Georgian forums to install SFOS and have aliendalvik running, also wrote my native language keyboard for my friends and Georgian forum members but if russia put's his hands in sailfish OS it will be dead to me!!! There is Kde plasma mobile, also ubuntu phone which is better already because it can connect to display and use my phone as desktop which sfos can't and probably will not be able ever. So russians in SFOS = FU SFOS!!!
Obviously you should leave sailfish since it has been a Russian OS for more than a year. Probably even longer.

When it comes to American or Russian controlled OS I couldn’t care less. Honestly It would probably be cool if we had more supported OS with a solid user base.

But Russia is too aggressive currently. Why would they need to expand their boarders? It’s one of biggest counties already with plenty of oil and gas.
Take that military cost and invest in sailfish instead that’s how you expand the boarders.

Maybe it’s time to launch a peace keeping OS

Peaos

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-09-16 at 09:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But Russia is too aggressive currently. Why would they need to expand their boarders?
Maybe they think a full-time education away from home is more efficient? Or maybe they want to raise a new generation to win at the next Olympics?

boarder (ˈbɔːdə)
n
  1. (Education) Brit a pupil who lives at school during term time
  2. (Education) US a child who lives away from its parents and is cared for by a person or organization receiving payment
  3. another word for lodger
  4. (Nautical Terms) a person who boards a ship, esp one who forces his way aboard in an attack: stand by to repel boarders.
  5. (Swimming, Water Sports & Surfing) informal a person who takes part in sailboarding or snowboarding
  6. (Skiing) informal a person who takes part in sailboarding or snowboarding

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: