Active Topics

Most websites are now moving to magnet links instead if torrent files. Anyone knows how you can download using these links with the N900?

Thanks

Bump. Anyone please?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maemouser1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I think a person would have to edit the mime type to have the web browser send the file to transmission. I am trying to figure that out now, havent had to hack around with mime settings since the early 90's.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
I installed dbus-switchboard which I hoped work as this is where .bittorrent files are handled, unfortunately since a magnet link is not a file but a type of URL I am not sure how to add it as a mime type.
So I installed browser-switchboard that doesn't help it just chooses default web browser.
It looked like if I could figure out a right click in about:config I could configure it but Holding the stylus in place just doesn't seem to work, this link explains the procedure, the browser works just like Firefox in this respect, so this IS the fix if you can get it to happen.
http://www.lamolabs.org/blog/7949/on...link-on-linux/
The issue is that I cant get the popup menu to fully show though it sticks in place when I pull other menus over it, white and unclickable.
in the end I edited /home/user/.mozilla/microb/prefs.js WITH THE BROWSER TURNED OFF.
after the line
<i>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.expose-all", true);</i>
I added
<i>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet", false);</i>
although it is smarter to add the <i>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet", false);</i> line in user.js in the same dir and then reboot the phone as I really scared myself by switching "network.protocol-handler.expose-all" to false and making it so I could not click on any links! Mozilla based browsers like Microb will add changes form user.js to prefs.js on restart of the browser(rebooting phone is best IMHO).
got some of this infro from http://wiki.maemo.org/MicroB_tweaks

At this point I still need to figure out how to get microb to see the magnet link as something to open with transmission but I will leave this for now as notes. Probably very simple for someone who knows how.

Last edited by biketool; 2012-03-05 at 13:14. Reason: more info

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
So when I click on a magnet link it does nothing as apparently there is no GUI in Microb to set new applications for new URL types. I believe I am 90% there but since this is a service link that must be passed not a file I have no idea where to go from here, truth is I have no idea how my laptop passes off magnet links which look like this one on for Ubuntu 10.04.4, all of the tracking info is inside the link as well as a hash which I think is used to find and join the swarm.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:b7c71bc56ddb06a2018eb1e37622eb 021e5117bb&dn=ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com %3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr= udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80

Last edited by biketool; 2012-03-05 at 13:44. Reason: more info

I suppose a reasonable question is that since the maintainer of Transmission left the project sometime after a Maemo build of the October 2009 version 1.76 I am not sure how useful magnet links would be as the old DHT and PEX seem to have trouble joining trackerless swarms even with .torrent files especially behind NAT or with ISP filtering, this is not a problem with newer builds. I see mention of several people building V2.03 or V2.11 on the thread link below but not able to share since they are not the now moved on package maintainer.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58952

Last edited by biketool; 2012-03-05 at 14:14. Reason: more info

So on a desktop machine I can take the magnet link and right click to save the URL. In Microb there is no option to save the URL to clipboard.
Maybe if you had another browser installed you could do like this in the sh terminal
$ transmission
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:b7c71bc56ddb06a2018eb1e37622eb 021e5117bb&dn=ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com %3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr= udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80
It worked on my Ubuntu netbook with Transmission 1.93.

Last edited by biketool; 2012-03-05 at 15:12.

Transmission v1.76 is too old to handle magnet links which I tried to pass over SSH, transmission starts but no torrent.
The Debian chroot runs transmission v1.22, even older and it also will not do magnet links it is the newest version for that repo.
I think the only hope is to figure out a java client or have someone smart find the almost finished source for the newer v2.03 and v2.12 transmission from OptX that never quite made the repos and then make magnet links work with microb. That work is here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58952&page=11

Taking a break for now, it could be I am seriously wrong in any or all of the above thread, I am a low level hack Linux user not any kind of dev.

Last edited by biketool; 2012-03-05 at 15:24.

You can always use Chromium or Iceweasel via EasyDebian, for that purpose.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel,
Even if I do run transmission with the magnet link on the N900 with a script I made on my laptop it still only loads transmission but cant handle the magnet link so just shows idle.