Thanks for this thread guys. I have XOHM gear up here in Boston & get a very strong signal out by U.Mass. I can connect to the XOHM signup page, but can't actually signup since they're not live here yet - and apparently won't be until sometime next year. I look forward to the opportunity to actually give them some money - providing I have any left by the time they finally roll out in Boston.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by punterjoe View Post
I look forward to the opportunity to actually give them some money...
XOHM guys-- Do you hear, or rather see that?

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Is it possible I am missing something with the activation? My Xohm page shows my device and MAC address as having an active "product" (xohm for the day) yet the WiMax icon on the top bar flashes and I can't access any site other than xohm and cycling power to the device didn't work either.
And with only minutes left on my day pass for Xohm, it miraculously works now in McLean... odd.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I'd like to second that request. Many of us Nokia N810 WiMax folks would probably like a forum to discuss XOHM-specific issues or WiMax comparisons. I've can confirm XOHM signals in Baltimore (MD), Hanover (MD), Washington (DC), and Reston (VA).

I'm still in the midst of rebuilding mine after a crash yesterday, but I'll start reporting signal strengths and bandwidth if I can.
Yes, I was wondering about a forum as well. Maybe there is no forum because the wimax edition is an economic bust. (It is currently selling at only a $12 premium on buy.com.) And as a practical matter, it seems the differences compared to the N810 are straight forward.

But I would like to see a forum. If so, it should follow the existing sub-forum organization and be device focused. Make it the "WiMax edition" forum including all issues related to this tablet version rather than just service related issues.

btw, XOHM is supposedly being phased out in favor of Clearwire early next year. Hopefully, there will be no interruption of wimax service in BAL, DC, Chicago and Boston.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
btw, XOHM is supposedly being phased out in favor of Clearwire early next year. Hopefully, there will be no interruption of wimax service in BAL, DC, Chicago and Boston.
Don't you mean that the FTC is allowing Spring and Clearwire to put their eggs in one basket, so to speak? If you mean the name, I'm sure XOHM is here to stay, as Clearwire is a company name, not necessarily a service name, and Clearwire sounds so 1990's while XOHM sounds 21st century. Just a thought.

And I have to disagree about the perceived economic bustitude of the N810WE. Its an investment in a new technology (yes, new for US, pun intended, not new as in brand freaking new). And like any new technology, its a gamble. Think of all those people who dumped money on HD-DVD discs and players, and all those who invested in Blueray. WiMax may come and go, or may stay and evolve. But I for one prefer it over the UMTS/HSDPA/EVDO lot.

Last edited by rjzak; 2008-11-12 at 13:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Don't you mean that the FTC is allowing Spring and Clearwire to put their eggs in one basket, so to speak? If you mean the name, I'm sure XOHM is here to stay, as Clearwire is a company name, not necessarily a service name, and Clearwire sounds so 1990's while XOHM sounds 21st century. Just a thought.
It's already decided by Clearwire management and Sprint can't change that. The cablecos wanted the change too. I'm not making mere speculations based on what I think the names sound like. (and Clearwire is a servicename as well.)

And I have to disagree about the perceived economic bustitude of the N810WE. Its an investment in a new technology (yes, new for US, pun intended, not new as in brand freaking new). And like any new technology, its a gamble. Think of all those people who dumped money on HD-DVD discs and players, and all those who invested in Blueray. WiMax may come and go, or may stay and evolve. But I for one prefer it over the UMTS/HSDPA/EVDO lot.[/
Xohm is more than a year late and more than a few cities short, and the wimax edition tablets have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere (figuratively speaking) for that time. Wimax was supposed to be a key differentiator over competitors, but it didn't happen and iPhone 3G and G1 caught up in the meantime. The gamble was made two years ago and turned out the wrong way. regardless of what happens with wimax market generally, the wimax edition tablet certainly did not work out (for Nokia) like it was planned due to its dependence on Xohm.

Why are they putting HSDPA into the tablet just now and not 2 years ago? It is an acknowledgement that the wimax edition won't sell in the volumes that they need because the coverage just isn't there (and other reasons).

I was not speaking to general wimax vs. 3G and 3.5G comparisons and the future of wimax.

Oh well, we'll see. Perhaps Nokia will drop from the bandwagon, but perhaps others like Intel will push on, at least for a little bit. It'd be really disappointing for WiMax to end up as just another technology that never reached its potential. After call, competition and consumer choice are valuable, and I hate contracts.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I(and Clearwire is a servicename as well.)
I bet that it is not...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Why are they putting HSDPA into the tablet just now and not 2 years ago? It is an acknowledgement that the wimax edition won't sell in the volumes that they need because the coverage just isn't there (and other reasons).

I was not speaking to general wimax vs. 3G and 3.5G comparisons and the future of wimax.
Not exactly. There is not necessarily any connection between decisions involving wimax vs hsdpa, except for the fact that it makes sense to address different network types. It really is too early to tell with Xohm, but it is a 4G technology and one or more of such will certainly prosper. Keep in mind Nokia is equally vested in LTE technology (on the network side).

And if wimax eventually fails, the tablets designed for it can still function just as those without.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I bet that it is not...
It might be... http://www.clearwire.com/support/faqs.php.

But I'm pretty sure that XOHM is here to stay, based on http://mobileroar.com/2008/11/05/xoh...lighted-by-fcc and http://technews.am/conversations/mob...earwire_merger

And WiMax may have a chance, after all, AT&T is scarred - http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ranoid_ab.html.

I for one as a technology enthusiast, am excited by that this could mean. AT&T can sit on it and spin.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Not exactly. There is not necessarily any connection between decisions involving wimax vs hsdpa, except for the fact that it makes sense to address different network types. It really is too early to tell with Xohm, but it is a 4G technology and one or more of such will certainly prosper. Keep in mind Nokia is equally vested in LTE technology (on the network side).

And if wimax eventually fails, the tablets designed for it can still function just as those without.
True, the tablet will function, and the black WiMax edition looks much better than its blue, disabled counterpart. And as for networks, I think its high time to have a wireless broadband network that is just TCP/IP and an IEEE standard, none of the voice junk tagging along (or rather hacking the voice junk to carry data).

Tags
n810 wimax, virginia, wimax, xohm