Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
There are some in the business who would love to be able to offer something like an SMS-only service, for example. Imagine music players with that. An *open* wireless IP landscape would support such things.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I have couple questions regarding current XOHM activation. I believe this procedure is still working to activate XOHM service on new device outside Baltimore?
http://www.4ginfo.com/index.php/not-...max-modem.html

Anyone confirm if this works, especially in Dallas/Fort Worth area...

Second question, if you activate service on device (USB modem in my case...) for one day service, is it forever locked to one day services? (What I'm trying to do is to test XOHM first using one day services... and if it works good then I want to change the plan to monthly service.)

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Second question, if you activate service on device (USB modem in my case...) for one day service, is it forever locked to one day services? (What I'm trying to do is to test XOHM first using one day services... and if it works good then I want to change the plan to monthly service.)
Is it locked forever? No. There are no contracts, nothing is "locked".

Secondly you say you want to test the service first and then change the plan. This is entirely possible, just call customer care. 1866-XOHM-123 (1866-9646-123).

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
It might be... http://www.clearwire.com/support/faqs.php.

But I'm pretty sure that XOHM is here to stay, based on http://mobileroar.com/2008/11/05/xoh...lighted-by-fcc and http://technews.am/conversations/mob...earwire_merger

And WiMax may have a chance, after all, AT&T is scarred - http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...ranoid_ab.html.

I for one as a technology enthusiast, am excited by that this could mean. AT&T can sit on it and spin.
This is frustrating. I am trying to educate you and you point to off-the-mark links from bloggers who are themselves just regurgitating FCC news. If you are interested, I suggest you go back and read industry reports at the time the Clearwire JV was announced. Pay attention to the cablecos that made the deal happen and you will understand (I think).

As a user and technology enthusiast, I am right there with you with my hopes for wimax networks in the future. And explaining why I hope the wimax edition tablet will work on some wimax network other than XOHM.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
This is frustrating. I am trying to educate you and you point to off-the-mark links from bloggers who are themselves just regurgitating FCC news. If you are interested, I suggest you go back and read industry reports at the time the Clearwire JV was announced. Pay attention to the cablecos that made the deal happen and you will understand (I think).

As a user and technology enthusiast, I am right there with you with my hopes for wimax networks in the future. And explaining why I hope the wimax edition tablet will work on some wimax network other than XOHM.
Where could I find the reports of the Clearwire JV, and yes, the WE tablet seems to be WiMax network-agnostic, as long as its on the 2.5 GHz. I can't confirm that, but the UI leads to that conclusion (for example, you can add a wimax network to the list of connections, which wouldn't make sense if XOHM was the only one).

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I have couple questions regarding current XOHM activation. I believe this procedure is still working to activate XOHM service on new device outside Baltimore?
http://www.4ginfo.com/index.php/not-...max-modem.html

Anyone confirm if this works, especially in Dallas/Fort Worth area...

You can activate in one area (say, for a daily plan) and then activate the device again when the daily plan expires but in another area. I have activated for a daily plan in Baltimore, then 2 weeks later activated for 2 more daily plans in Northern VA. Plus, the activation doesn't do anything to the tablet, it only associates your MAC address with money

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Where could I find the reports of the Clearwire JV, and yes, the WE tablet seems to be WiMax network-agnostic, as long as its on the 2.5 GHz. I can't confirm that, but the UI leads to that conclusion (for example, you can add a wimax network to the list of connections, which wouldn't make sense if XOHM was the only one).
I would start with multichannel news, then try light reading. I don't recall whether my information is from a public source or a subscription or other non-public soure so I can't be sure what you will find. You want to look for reports after the cablecos invested and how the final deal got done.

I don't have a wimax edition tablet (yet), but will probably get one just because I don't even have a N810. Unfortunately, the 2.5 GHz limitation is a significant one as that spectrum is scarce.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Unfortunately, the 2.5 GHz limitation is a significant one as that spectrum is scarce.
Agreed, since there are WiMax networks elsewhere in the US and abroad that use 3.2 & 3.5 GHz. But it seems there aren't any multi-frequency WiMax chips... yet.

Agreed, since there are WiMax networks elsewhere in the US and abroad that use 3.2 & 3.5 GHz. But it seems there aren't any multi-frequency WiMax chips... yet.
What are the services that are running the 3.2 and 3.5 ghz range? Have you done a test run on their service?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Hey,

Sorry to jump into this a little late and be off (on) topic but In the last past week and a half, XOHM's signal has expanded in the DC Area. I actually can't wait till the official announce for this month (since I have been paying for xohm for about a month already and can never get steady reception). About 3 weeks ago I drove around DC, NOVA, PG County MD and Montgomery County MD.

Starting in MD, in most of southern PG County (as far as Clinton) I was receiving at least half bar reception. Up towards Hyattsville, the signal was strong and as long as I was in that area, I wasn't booted (dropped) from the network. There seems to be a big dead spot in the Langely Park & Tokoma Park areas. When Getting closer to DC (Capitol Heights and Landover area) the signal seems to weaken very much so.

DC is another story, I live Georgetown and work in Farragut West, reception seems to be a hit and miss situation in the middle and bottom of NW. In the SW area (except for around the water front) I received no reception. I tend to stay away from NE and SE for reasons Washingtonians would know lol.

NOVA seems to be booming, especially in Arlington. In Rosslyn and Ballston, I get a full on signal w/o being dropped =) Going out towards Alexandria and Springfield, the signal strength seems to fade, the greatest reception I got was in Old Towne and that was at half strength. Going outside of I-495, I went up to Woodbridge and got no reception at all (hmm...) I have heard reports that XOHM is available in Sterling all the out to Fredricksburg, that's pretty exciting.

Now, if we can just get that official announcement, I'd be one happy guy!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Ecua For This Useful Post:
@Mister Ecua

Awesome post! I'm just as excited as you are!

Promethh has been keeping me updated daily on his adventures into WiMAX.

Post more info lets get speed tests! What device are you using?

Tags
n810 wimax, virginia, wimax, xohm