Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
Thanks, Andy! Wow... so will we be seeing an official announcement from XOHM for the DC area?

Wow... very cool news!
No idea when there will be an official announcement, its still listed on their site as coming soon, and when you search in the DC area it says:

"XOHM hasn't launched here. But we're currently building the network in this area, so you may see some neighborhoods that appear in coverage."

Either way exciting!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Andyschism View Post
DC coverage maps are up!

Check them out over at:
http://www.xohm.com/apps/coverage-tracker/

If you have any questions drop Arundel a line at:
Arundel@xohmkiosk.com

Thank you!
I'm intrigured by all the splotches in the suburbs. They seem too small to be a single antenna coverage area. There seems to be too many to be due to propagation anomalies. Even assuming that this map was meant for testing purposes rather than marketing, anyone have an explanation?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm intrigured by all the splotches in the suburbs. They seem too small to be a single antenna coverage area. There seems to be too many to be due to propagation anomalies. Even assuming that this map was meant for testing purposes rather than marketing, anyone have an explanation?
What factors may affect XOHM coverage?

Our coverage maps provide estimates of our coverage areas when using your device under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating WiMAX coverage and signal strength isn't an exact science.

There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas that, along with other factors both within and beyond our control (network problems, software, signal strength, your wireless device, structures, buildings, weather, geography, topography, etc.), may result in dropped and blocked connections, slower data speeds or otherwise impact the quality of services.

Estimates of future coverage areas are subject to change.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
What factors may affect XOHM coverage?

Our coverage maps provide estimates of our coverage areas when using your device under optimal conditions. Coverage isn't available everywhere. Estimating WiMAX coverage and signal strength isn't an exact science.

There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas that, along with other factors both within and beyond our control (network problems, software, signal strength, your wireless device, structures, buildings, weather, geography, topography, etc.), may result in dropped and blocked connections, slower data speeds or otherwise impact the quality of services.

Estimates of future coverage areas are subject to change.
Thanks for the response but my question was more specific than what factors generally affect WiMax coverage. I am looking for a technical or data explanation of the map, for example, the minimal signal strength in dbs of the coverage areas, etc., not marketing/sales disclaimers.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks for the response but my question was more specific than what factors generally affect WiMax coverage. I am looking for a technical or data explanation of the map, for example, the minimal signal strength in dbs of the coverage areas, etc., not marketing/sales disclaimers.
The XOHM Developers Program (if you have not signed up for it) could possibly answer these questions.

http://developer.xohm.com/community/login.jspa

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Bethesda, MD
I have been using the XOHM USB adapter on several Notebooks, UMPCs and my Home Desktop for about two weeks now. I am located in Bethesda MD near Old Gerorgetown Rd and the 495 Overpass. Great Signal Strength so far,, getting 6000-7000 kbps up and 750-1200 Up. I have used all over Rockville MD and as far as Quince Orchard Rd and 270 in Gaithersburg (also connected at Clopper Rd and Mateny Dr). I will grab a few posts I made on another site and paste them here, they have some interesting facts and info.

Ron P
Bethesda, MD
XOHM USB adapter

n810 Non WiMAX. Hoping someone will write us a nice n810 to XOHM USB Connection Program.

BB 8330 w/ SPRINT

NOKIA 770 w/ OS 2006
1 GB SanDisk RS-MMC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wireless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
That must be the poorest interface I've seen for a mapping application in years.
(All fields are required)

Why not settle for zip and let user zoom in?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
No idea when there will be an official announcement, its still listed on their site as coming soon, and when you search in the DC area it says:

"XOHM hasn't launched here. But we're currently building the network in this area, so you may see some neighborhoods that appear in coverage."

Either way exciting!
It supposed to be sometime this month, give that we only have 8 days left, it is looking more and more like this will not happen. There promotion is supposed to end either the end of this month or next month (can't remember) which sucks for the peeps waiting for the official launch. I have notice more and more city and suburban areas that now have coverage, but the connection is never steady solid

J. Maravilla
N810WE
Washington D.C. (Georgetown)

Last edited by Mister Ecua; 2008-11-22 at 22:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Ecua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
any of you guys have nokia chat, I think it would be cool for all of us (WiMAX Edition Users) to stay in touch in real time.. Just an idea...

Is XOHM and WIMAX limited to the 810? I don't think I'll be able to upgrade from my N800 anytime soon. (Sorry for what probably is a dumb question.)

Tags
dc metropolitan area, dc/nova, nokia n810 wimax edition, wimax, xohm