Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Washington, DC
I am also in DC with an N810WE. I live in Del Ray (Alexandria) and get anywhere from half signal to full signal indoors.

I was only getting about 1.3 mbps on the speakeasy.net tests though. Not sure what was up with that.

The test I was most anxious to try out was streaming with Vagalume while driving south on 395. It worked fine while it had a signal, but would consistently drop off once I hit about 65 mph - which is the limit of the 802.16e spec anyhow.

There were significant holes once I got off 495 and headed west toward Fairfax. That far out, I could get a signal outdoors or right next to a window, but not anywhere inside.

Once the network goes live for real here in NOVA, Comcast is getting the heave ho!

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
WiMAX is alive-and-well at Union Station in Washington, DC:

GPS and WiMAX, oh my!

Today I walked from Columbus Circle (near Union Station) to 601 Penn Ave while using my Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition. I was averaging 2.8Mbps during my lunch today. For more pics, see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vickyke...7613997727639/
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Last edited by promethh; 2009-02-17 at 23:24. Reason: Fixed broken link, correct flickr photo set

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Clearwire is going to offer 3G + 4G USB sticks.

Aerea (Worldmax) is expanding in Amsterdam with download speeds increased from 2 mbit to 8 mbit, and also going to deliver routers for home wimax as well as sticking to plan to roll out nation-wide. First the big cities though. Also received more financial injection from Intel.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ North America (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am new here and Clear has launched almost a week ago where I live (Philly) and I am wondering if I can buy an N810 WiMAX Edition and use it with Clear. If so, that would be quite nice and maybe I wouldn't need the new N900 just yet (I already have a regular smartphone).

Is it hard to find a new N810WE considering it has been discontinued?

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
You may find one on Ebay or craiglist. Talk to Clear to see if the N810w will work on their network.

Last edited by heavyt; 2009-10-07 at 03:31.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am new here and Clear has launched almost a week ago where I live (Philly) and I am wondering if I can buy an N810 WiMAX Edition and use it with Clear.
No, it won't work with Clear. You will want to look at the Samsung Mondi.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I am new here and Clear has launched almost a week ago where I live (Philly) and I am wondering if I can buy an N810 WiMAX Edition and use it with Clear. If so, that would be quite nice and maybe I wouldn't need the new N900 just yet (I already have a regular smartphone).

Is it hard to find a new N810WE considering it has been discontinued?
You may want to speak directly with Clear for an official answer. The whole XOHM/Clearwire/Clear migration isn't cut-and-dry for people who bought earlier XOHM or Clearwire devices. As someone who actively uses his Nokia N810 WiMAX in MD/DC/VA, mine connects to the XOHM SSID and sees the Clear SSID. I've received emails from Clear saying that they'd port my XOHM account to Clear, but that hasn't happened yet.

It's a matter of your N810WE's MAC being registered on the Clear network and also having your N810WE profile manager recognize the Clear SSID as a valid WiMAX to connect to. In my own conversations with Clear engineers, both are possible. Once I port mine from XOHM to Clear, I'll know for certain.

Only in speaking direct with Clear to someone who understands their network registration, WiMAX devices, and profile management will you get a correct answer. Speaking with a sales rep at Clear won't be too helpful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ North America (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
You may want to speak directly with Clear for an official answer. The whole XOHM/Clearwire/Clear migration isn't cut-and-dry for people who bought earlier XOHM or Clearwire devices. As someone who actively uses his Nokia N810 WiMAX in MD/DC/VA, mine connects to the XOHM SSID and sees the Clear SSID. I've received emails from Clear saying that they'd port my XOHM account to Clear, but that hasn't happened yet.

It's a matter of your N810WE's MAC being registered on the Clear network and also having your N810WE profile manager recognize the Clear SSID as a valid WiMAX to connect to. In my own conversations with Clear engineers, both are possible. Once I port mine from XOHM to Clear, I'll know for certain.

Only in speaking direct with Clear to someone who understands their network registration, WiMAX devices, and profile management will you get a correct answer. Speaking with a sales rep at Clear won't be too helpful.
I did ask them about non-Clear devices and they said it would work and that's the beauty of WiMAX - that it's an open system. I don't want the Mondi as isn't that the one that runs Windows Mobile?

I did ask them about non-Clear devices and they said it would work and that's the beauty of WiMAX - that it's an open system. I don't want the Mondi as isn't that the one that runs Windows Mobile?
I agree with them: that is the beauty of WiMAX. So long as you have a WiMAX device on the same frequency as the carrier (2.3GHz / 2.5Ghz / 3.5Gz) and if you can see their SSID (XOHM / Clear), you can register your WiMAX device on that network so long as your MAC address is allowed.

Both my Sprint Broadband 3G/4G U300 card and my Nokia N810 WiMAX Edition see XOHM and Clear as an SSID in Baltimore and see only XOHM in Washington, DC. In Baltimore, my U300 connects to only Sprint (Clear) while my N810WE connects to either. In DC, my U300 fails to connect but my N810WE connects to XOHM. I have my U300 and N810WE MACs registered by XOHM and Sprint.

To be honest, I think Clear is correct. You can buy a used N810WE, get a Clear account, and register that N810WE's MAC address on Clear using your account.

Tags
clear, n810we, sprint 4g, wimax, xohm