Notices

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Forgive my ignorant curiousity, but why are themes in extras-devel? They can't be unstable (can they???) Are they still being tweaked? Or is that just the procedure before they go up the ladder?

Originally Posted by Matjaz View Post
There are some themes in extras-devel, like bossateal theme, maemo.org theme or reflect theme.

Nice wallpapers can be found on http://n900wallpapers.com. (I have not tried them yet, got just the link)
I second the maemo.org theme. It looks absolutely fantastic!

haven't tried the themes in app manager, will try them right now.

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Forgive my ignorant curiousity, but why are themes in extras-devel? They can't be unstable (can they???) Are they still being tweaked? Or is that just the procedure before they go up the ladder?
Maybe not unstable, but can easily cause usability issues e.g. too large/small font, similiar foreground/backgound colors, undesired effect on UI widgets, etc.

Plus, they are contained in a deb package which run scripts as root on the device. For example, you wouldn't want me to be able to upload a theme to extras without testing that has "rm -rf" in the postinst script (not that I would, obviously!)

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Yeah.. it's usually just a good idea to run all packages through a testing process before allowing everyone to install it. Jumping straight to extras could.. well.. really make t.m.o. an interesting place for a while..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Ah, ok. I'm just an ignorant n900b. I was a bit mystified about what could be 'unstable' about the theme. I take the point about usability, and if they're not compiled into an instalation packeage, then that makes perfect sens.

Thanks for the explanation: You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

(Though I still want to see that maemo.org theme...)

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philippines
I absolutely love the maemo theme as well.

And I'd like to make themes too. I don't know much about codes and programming but if there's one thing that I'd like to know first and contribute to fellow maemo users is n900 themes.

Originally Posted by Matjaz View Post
There are some themes in extras-devel, like bossateal theme, maemo.org theme or reflect theme.

Nice wallpapers can be found on http://n900wallpapers.com. (I have not tried them yet, got just the link)
Thanks for the link to N900 wallpapers. There are some excellent pictures for download

ok... there is this Red Alert theme but .. u have to use something called SSH to install it and im a noob.... can anyone get the .deb version??

Is it possible that someone could re-create the stock theme so instead of blue, it is red. Black and red work really well together. I think it would look great. I imagine it needs a simple overlay in PS - But still new to the device, I don't want to run before I can walk.