Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Coverage varies, but where Google Maps is good, it's really good, way ahead of the competition.

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat
The competition is more than just Apple Maps. And counter-example, here in the Netherlands OpenStreetMap is often much more detailed than Google Maps, and much more up-to-date. Anecdote: two years ago a party I was with got stuck in the country side. In the dark. It was pouring. On Christmas. On a, as it turned out, private road. It was only thanks to OpenStreetMap we could actually tell the road we were stuck on, to call for help. According to Google Maps we were in the middle of a large field, it draw an absolute blank there - quite literately; there simply wasn't anything nearby on the map.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
So, how I can use openstreet maps, in this app?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iHusky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by iHusky View Post
So, how I can use openstreet maps, in this app?
@iHusky: probably all map providers in Poor Maps use OpenStreetMap in one or another form. So, you are using it already.

If your area is not covered, you could ask local government to upload the data into this free database or look into how can you improve it yourself.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Let me start off by apologizing for my ignorance, but how do I set up voice navigation with Poor Maps. I read the note on Warehouse which directs users to Mimic (with a Warehouse link). I installed that dutifully. However, now I am wondering, how do I make Poor Maps talk because it has been awkwardly silent.

On a completely different topic: Am I the only one who thinks the posting on top of this one (#144) is somewhat strange?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dubliner View Post
how do I make Poor Maps talk because it has been awkwardly silent.
  1. Go to "Navigation" from the main menu, make sure you select the correct language
  2. Once the route is found, tap the navigation block at the top of the screen and select "Voice navigation instructions"
  3. Check your device's volume level

There shouldn't be more it than that.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
[...]1., 2., 3.
There shouldn't be more it than that.
Thanks, that confirmed my settings after trying for hours on my "testing" Jolla 1 phone and finally just repeating these steps on my "production" Jolla 1 phone: While immediately working on the "production" phone, the "testing" phone is still silent.

I am using picotts under SFOS 2.1.3.7
pico2wave --wave=foo.wav "$(cat foo.txt)" is working fine on both phones.
BTW, mimic -v foo.txt foo.wav generated a garbled vocalisation and consumed a third of the available processing power while doing so, hence IMO picotts is preferable on Jolla 1 phones.

Any idea how to debug PoorMaps not using picotts on my "testing" phone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@olf, assuming that mimic is installed correctly and didn't get damaged on download, there most probable cause of problems is OOM killer.

In general, Poor Maps has preference among TTS engines which is

mimic [best]
flite [2nd]
picotts
espeak

The first on the list gets picked. So, if you have mimic installed, that would be used.

Now, if OOM gets involved, you could test it by checking what's exit value after running in shell. Mimic has several voices with the default one the most complicated (male voice ap). So, if my suspicion is right, you could switch to a simpler model by choosing female voice (slt) in Poor Maps preferences and see if it will start working.

I doubt that mimic is using any fancy hw-acceleration that could hit some other limits than RAM in J1. Since you have multiple J1, you can always run a small cluster of them and share the tasks around (would require some coding on Poor Maps side). While a joke, its surely doable .

I hope that switching the voice will resolve your problems. If not, please try to figure out whether OOM killer was involved.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Thanks @ringius for your reply, but unfortunately it misses the point a bit:

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@olf, assuming that mimic is installed correctly and didn't get damaged on download
Well, pckon / rpm should have complained then, right?

the most probable cause of problems is OOM killer.
I did not watch or capture memory statistics, but mimic was eating 1/3 of the available processing power of the Jolla 1 phone (i.e. most of one core), when used on the command line (in fingerterm, with no other applications running, but AlienDalvik started).
Hence I concluded that using mimic is not a good choice on Jolla 1 phones, as it is supposed to run concurrently with OSMscout server and a native Map app, plus eventually other apps. If mimic's memory consumption is known to be excessive, that supports this conclusion.

The first on the list gets picked.
Thanks, I have not found that clearly documented elsewhere yet, but already guessed so.

Now, if OOM gets involved, you could test it by checking what's exit value after running in shell.
AFAIR it was 0, i.e. O.K.

But for these technical reasons (and as mimic is English language only), I uninstalled mimic some days ago and decided to use picotts (as pointed out in my last post in this discussion thread).

Still I wonder, why picotts works flawlessly within PoorMaps on one Jolla 1 phone and is silent on the other (while pico2wav is working fine, if invoked at the shell).
Any hints on how to debug this are appreciated, still.

Last edited by olf; 2018-03-09 at 21:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Any hints on how to debug this are appreciated, still.
Run Poor Maps from the command line ("sailfish-qml harbour-poor-maps"), the voice generation commands and process return values should appear in the console output.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post: