Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
I was wondering if it was possible to use the N900 for direct recording from an amplifier into the TV-Out/headphone socket, like a recording desk?

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
similar question, also, isit possible to record from another computer?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
pretty sure you need some non-standard connectors to even try it. the hands-free connector enables a mic input on that connection so it can be done.

what source are you thinking of using mic, instrument or output of something else?

Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
similar question, also, isit possible to record from another computer?
what are you thinking of doing? it may be easier to record the other computer at source and transfer the audio over.

otherwise there are ways of "broadcasting" from the computer and connecting to that signal on another device without the need for wires.

Originally Posted by mr id View Post
pretty sure you need some non-standard connectors to even try it. the hands-free connector enables a mic input on that connection so it can be done.

what source are you thinking of using mic, instrument or output of something else?
basically my guitar amp has a DI port, so it can be plugged straight into a soundboard for silent recording, negating the use of the speaker cabinet and microphone for recording. I don't have a soundboard and wanted to do silent recording, so wondered if i could Di to the phone and record direct to it

sadly I'm no cabling expert. you definitely need some sort of adapter to spilt the headphone and mic rings apart. don't know if there would still be any impedance issues to worry about after that. be interested if you get anywhere with it. the input mic isn't too shabby for acoustic recordings but as you say you need electric and silent.

It's not something i'd mess with, can't afford to break it! If it was a definite yes i would, i know there's an app for the iPhone to do a similar thing

even on the iphone i'm certain you require an adapter as well the app. pretty sure i've not seen a phone with a mic / audio line in. (doesn't mean you can't get one). doubt iadapters are compatible but there may be ones floating around.

Originally Posted by mr id View Post
even on the iphone i'm certain you require an adapter as well the app. pretty sure i've not seen a phone with a mic / audio line in. (doesn't mean you can't get one). doubt iadapters are compatible but there may be ones floating around.
yeah i don't remember it exactly but my mate showed me, it's a software app that you also buy a mini amp type thing for and i think that plugs into the iPhone

You would have to solder a simple connector. Find 4 pin jack, solder needed contacts to jack that would be connected to the guitar amplifier and add a resistor (if needed) between ground and mic contacts.
You could also need a resistor between amplifier and n900 if amplifier's output is too high (I suspect it to be line-out which has bigger voltages than mic)
Look here for schematics:
http://kibergus.su/en/node/39