Hello,

The N900 is a wonderful tool and concentrate many things in a small object.
Problem is what happened when someone steal this object or if you lose it ?

All you phones contacts, pictures, videos, SMS, Instant messaging, websites passwords, emails, Skype & SIP account, calendar etc. will be available to someone else... Not to mention what you put on the large 32 Go...

I know that you can lock the phone but it doesn't seem enough and it is quite inconvenient to do it frequently.

What would be interesting would be an option to quickly unlock with a simple gesture to draw on the screen. After three attempts, the phone gets lock, a message get displayed ("contact Mr. xxx") and you'll need the password to access it again.

Now to be on the safe side, you'll also have to store all the sensitive information in an encrypted partition (emails for instance...). But I imagine that performance issues would make that unuseable.

Do someone have a brillant idea on how to overcome this privacy problem ?
Is there a brainstorm somewhere on this subject ?

Thanks,

The Following User Says Thank You to SaintGermain For This Useful Post:
I think that there is an app for the Droid where you can initiate a system flash, remotely, via a web browser.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
I think that there is an app for the Droid where you can initiate a system flash, remotely, via a web browser.

that would be nice for n900.

also could we remotely get a location

Interesting.
In addition to system flash, the data partition should also be wiped then.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
I appreciate your privacy concerns.

Have you tried the "Secure Device" option from the Power Button menu? That does at least provide a user-configurable passcode for the phone - even if someone reflashes, the passcode won't be changed.

There is an enhancement logged to show the user's details on the Unlock screen, but I haven't been able to find the bug number.

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
that would be nice for n900.

also could we remotely get a location

"There's an app for that"... :P .

...at least I think there is, for the Droid, anyway. If nothing else, there is that Google app/network where you find your friends...lose your phone and just look for youself.

Problem w/any of those solutions is that you have a limited window w/ the short battery life.

Found them:
http://www.wavesecure.com/ (works on the N97)
https://www.mobiledefense.com/ (android only)

Originally Posted by shiny View Post
I appreciate your privacy concerns.

Have you tried the "Secure Device" option from the Power Button menu? That does at least provide a user-configurable passcode for the phone - even if someone reflashes, the passcode won't be changed.

There is an enhancement logged to show the user's details on the Unlock screen, but I haven't been able to find the bug number.
Yes but more often that not, this is too cumbersome.
I often activate/deactivate the screen dozens of times in the day (to save power).

The remote lock & wipe provide an elegant solution.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
could we send a message on screen to the theif or possibly a video. saying give my phone back i know who you are - then take a snap of him with the front camera and post it up- then take a finger print reading- lol

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
could we send a message on screen to the theif or possibly a video. saying give my phone back i know who you are - then take a snap of him with the front camera and post it up- then take a finger print reading- lol
Since Jabber video call is working, based on call initiated via "PC client", maybe someone can script an "auto answer" plug-in?