Originally Posted by verhagke View Post
I suppose, but why not just view the stats on your phone
Too small.

I predict we have a one year window before all relevant services are streaming "living room"-desirable information in a proprietary format rather than what happened with RSS and feeds.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, but this is marketed as a computer, and not a phone. People have different expectations from a computer.
Or a netbook. From what it was said, it is supposed to be better than a netbook and I just don't see it. For consuming rich media, maybe, but aside that, I just see many things it doesn't do or have... If I wanted a tablet I would grab the Slate that Ballmer demo'ed or hopefully a future Maemo 6 device.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Wow, that's huge iPod touch.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Or you can just stop the music. But hey, if you can convince Nokia to add an option I'm down with that, but that's not their style.
Modern headphones can detect whether they're in your ears. Problem solved.

However, for everyone without such headphones, this should be a user configurable option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
The thing is that very few (any?) phones in my experience have ever played the ringtone out of the speakers when headphones are connected, but that is now - bizarrely - what the N900 does and I'm sure it caters to a few corner cases - your corner case - but the reality is that most people will have the headphones in their ears when the call comes in. You quickly learned that when you were no longer listening on the headphones you disconnected the headphones from the socket...
Leaving aside whose case is the corner case, if the headphones are bluetooth it makes little sense to disconnect them from the phone by turning them off. They take too long to turn back on and pair automatically fo be useful for the call, so they'll be left on. This gives you the equivalent of plugged in headphones.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Is it really being marketed as a "computer"? I find that unlikely for Apple, this will be some sort of digital assistant/eBook Reader/Life Planner/etc. - anything but a computer.
Some journalist from Spiegel Online who was live blogging from the event called it the "You-can-touch-computer". Possibly Steve Jobs called it like this.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
Leaving aside whose case is the corner case, if the headphones are bluetooth it makes little sense to disconnect them from the phone by turning them off. They take too long to turn back on and pair automatically fo be useful for the call, so they'll be left on. This gives you the equivalent of plugged in headphones.
Pause button?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Would you care to define what `real content` means? N900 has undeniably the best browsing experience of all portable gadgets out there, and its browser can access more web pages and web services than all the Apple portable products combined, and the internet is full of all kinds of content.

So, what content N900 cannot access that iPhone/iPod can? I can think of hundreds of examples where the equation is opposite.
I'd have to say digital contents that people actually _invest_ (their time/money) in and expect some sort of financial compensation from. (books, music, apps, etc). These are usually enclosed in some sort of DRM protection.

PS: Before you bash DRM, try to put yourself in the shoes of the content creators. Imagine that you'll spend a significant amount of your time or money to create something that you think people will want and pay for... and how you can distribute it to them with enough protection from the pirates.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Throwing around superlatives in the promo video is surely supposed to equalize the fact that this device is at most average. Ok it is a promo vid, but SUCH sensationalistic behaviour is always suspicious. At least to me. It looks as if the actors in the video weren't allowed to blink their eyes either, to appear more convincing. Did they take lessons at scientology?

Anyway, this quote kinda sums it up quite well i think (from minyanville.com):

"The fact that it's finally arrived is an accomplishment in itself, and die-hard Apple fans will undoubtedly snatch up the iPad as soon as it's available. But it could never live up to the rabid excitement, far-out predictions, and pipe dream wishes. The iPod and iPhone revolutionized their respective categories, but the iPad really doesn't take tablet computing into a bold new direction.

It's basically just a large iPhone and, sadly, nothing more. No front-facing camera, no multitasking. Wait, and no phone calls. So it's basically just a large iPod Touch.

Still excited?"

To my eye the iPad looks pathetic. What's the point of this device? As has been stated by others it doesn't even have a web cam. I just don't get it. I usually enjoy engadget, but they've got so many articles about this turd that it's sickening. For Nokia, though, the good thing is, even Apple makes mistakes.

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet