I really love this n900 which I have had for months now. I am however really sick of all of the animations for example when the phone switches from landscape to portrait mode (the UI spins around), or when you click on the status menu and want to change your availability (the menus slide in and out).

I would really really appreciate the ability to turn all of that off or at least speed it up and dont mind fiddling with any config files to do so. Does anyone know how that can be done?

I have seen this option in android so surely it has to be available on the n900 somewhere?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaRocks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Just install app called transition control.

Then set everything to 0.
Or try smaller numbers.

I found that sometimes, a larger number gives you a "smoother" transition without added delay.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Cheers, I just edited the transitions.ini file and the end result is amazing! The phone feels so much faster. Thanks!

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
Give him credit via the "Thanks!" link near Quick Reply then

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Just install app called transition control.

Then set everything to 0.
Or try smaller numbers.

I found that sometimes, a larger number gives you a "smoother" transition without added delay.
Can anyone advise which transition variables to reduce/change to just make the switch from landscape to portrait faster ?

Originally Posted by Maruzko View Post
Can anyone advise which transition variables to reduce/change to just make the switch from landscape to portrait faster ?
Yes, very good question

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Easy. Just reduce the numbers that start with "Rotate" and "Blank" on the bottom right.
If you change these 5 values to all zero's, it just blinks between changes. Feels quicker.

btw, you can experiment all you like. You can't do any harm. Also, there is no need to reboot.
So just write down the default values, then try reducing each one to ZERO and apply and see what difference it made.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Yes, it is possible with the Transition Control app.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I think it is best to use:
Rotate:
in= 0
out= 0
Damage timeout = 300
timeout plus = 200
time out max = 380

This will do a smoother less jerky transition. This is what I use.