Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
Remember that Chen already...delivered working jolla tablet.
"delivered"?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
- Full QWERTY support with the hinge that can lift the screen (Not exactly same as N950/Lauta but more like Touch Pro 2, you can change the angle)

- 5.0"+ screen. I know this will be a disappoint for some, but you can't find anything reliable and decent below this size, unless someone gives me 1M USD and I can develop a 4-inch decent solution myself...

- Regarding OS - this requires some work and need to analyse the total cost. But I can promise bootloader won't be locked and won't only be AOSP. (Not even considering pre-load with Google service)

- By JUL/AUG when I close the Moto Keyboard project and Youyota production line starts, I will reveal more design work and pictures...
Yes!
Yes please!

I've been looking forward to such a device since 2012.
Would buy instantly.

(Btw, I'm currently looking at the Gemini and the GPD Pocket, which are kind of similar devices.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
(Btw, I'm currently looking at the Gemini and the GPD Pocket, which are kind of similar devices.)
Yeah, they aren't phones though, so they are more of an extra device. Chen's phone really could be the one device that does everything.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Gemini has phone capabilities, doesn't it? (maybe need to add a bt headset - I could live with that). I have doubts they will deliver a real non-android os in any timeframe worth worrying about, but I hope I'm wrong. If I am, I will certainly buy on release - it looks a very good fit for me. Then again, I would be happy with an N900 with a slightly larger screen and a battery life approaching 1 week

The way things are going with GPD, chen might deliver just faster, and with more capabilites GPD seems to be delivering windows boxes via 3rd party vendors, while avoiding answering any questions about timescales for ubuntu, or why they have broken (at least the spirit of) their promises on IGG.

I'm not going to say any more, or I may start to sound like another Dave of this forum

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
When Michael stablise this Tablet production, I'll suggest him to build a Youyota Ubuntu product. At least to have some alternative to this GPd thing.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
When Michael stablise this Tablet production, I'll suggest him to build a Youyota Ubuntu product. At least to have some alternative to this GPd thing.
how about Opensuse

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to virgi26 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
openSUSE Leap 42.3 just released today. Includes both KDE Plasma 5.8 and Gnome 3.20. Zypper for package management. 42.2 was beautiful and stable. All my desktops and laptops run them. KDE looks awesome and well integrated.

Just upgraded one of my laptops to Leap 42.3. Server quality build and share core with SLES 12 SP3.

So openSUSE I like better than Ubuntu. And they don't have the Canonical's attitude.

Not intended to start which distro is better fight, but just expressing my love towards openSUSE.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
Gnome 3.20.
Come on openSUSE, really? In a month, GNOME 3.26 will be stable. That's 1,5 years of new (and very useful) features and bugfixes missing, and it's only the first day of its 9 month lifespan! Unlike KDE, GNOME itself has no LTS releases, so by not including 3.24 they've made a huge mistake. Just like last time, and the one before. And people claim openSUSE is not a KDE-centric distro... I know there are community repositories that provide up to date versions of the DEs, but those always end up causing trouble eventually.

I wanted to put openSUSE on my new computer again after it miraculously failed to install (with an undescribable bug that never manifested itself twice in the same way) last time I tried, which was back in September, but Leap is now majorly out of date and Tumbleweed, being rolling, has far too many package updates to keep up. I mean, Fedora works fine, but there's something about openSUSE that makes it nicer to use, even though I'm using (nearly) all the same packages. If only they would pay some more attention to GNOME users' needs (Leap 42.1 was even completely unusable because of a huge bug [with a fix that couldn't be backported] in GNOME Shell where just a couple incoming notifications would freeze the whole computer).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Leap 42.x tracks SLES 12, the new Leap 42.3 is based of SLES 12 SP2. Hence the older packages/kernel.

Leap 15 in May 2018 will be based on SLES 15 due around the same time, so shiny new everything.

+1 for suse. this post was typed on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Come on openSUSE, really? {...} That's 1,5 years of new (and very useful) features and bugfixes missing, and it's only the first day of its 9 month lifespan! U
{...}
last time I tried, which was back in September, but Leap is now majorly out of date
openSUSE Leap is the equivalent of Debian Stable.
(and the non-enterprise/non-comercial equivalent of SLES)

It has a slow turn-over of package, but they are still maintained (security and some bugfixes get back-ported).

(Though unlike Debian Stable they aren't that much behind. Compared to the base SLES, Leap does import quite a few more recent packages)

If you do want up-to-date packages, and latest bells and whistles, openSUSE Tumbleweed is what you want.

And in my personal experience, it's one of the best and most stable rolling release distro.

and Tumbleweed, being rolling, has far too many package updates to keep up.
That's why you settle for a schedule that works best for you.

Usually I only update :
- in case of critical security bugs. You know, those who usually get a nice nickname and lots of press coverage (or other update of cirical packages like kernel / libc / ssh /etc,)
- I want a recent bell and whistle that just got recently out (eg.: I want newer libdrm / Mesa )
- otherwise only every few weeks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os