Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Yes you're right. That's interesting, but if landscape mode is possible on the phone why have they disabled it?

On the tablet, have they just fixed everything in landscape instead or does it have proper support for both landscape and portrait mode?
For what it's worth, no phone running iOS (and I think none running Android either) has landscape mode enabled in the launcher or the system settings. I would guess Apple and Google have both done a considerable amount of testing in this regard and found that below a certain screen/device size, landscape mode in these areas is just not something that makes sense (and I could see why).

Edit: that said, I agree there are some inconsistencies that should be fixed (or: should have been fixed long ago), but Jolla clearly prefer to put their UI team to work on creating unwanted, unnecessary and ugly changes to the cover designs of their applications instead of doing 1-line fixes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I would guess Apple and Google have both done a considerable amount of testing in this regard and found that below a certain screen/device size, landscape mode in these areas is just not something that makes sense (and I could see why).
Wait, what ?
Symbian had full portait/landscape working on small screens like the N8's 3.5". This was wonderful. Reading a website in landscape and needed to switch to another application or home to check a widget ? No problem !

Then came "new" OS, like Android where Hangout's home page with list of conversations is fixed to portait (and multitasking view follow it to portait in that case), even if the conversation itself handles both... At least in the 4.X era (don't have newer android to check).
Same for Sailfish on phone, with the example provided before that home and events with its pulley menu are portait even if you are in a landscape application...

Anyway, nothing that some code can't fix, and if there is a keyboard device like chen's to push it, it may not be far away to sailfish, seeing that it apparently is already the case for the tablet.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Chen, we need more pictures, pls.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

Last edited by NX500; 2017-08-02 at 19:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Yes. A QWERTZ version will be made.
I have seen requests on the French community about the AZERTY layout, as Kabouik related above.

Seeing as it was not possible to do it for the Moto Mod, is there a way to ensure that it will be available for my French fellow ?

How much orders would you need to make it viable ? Could an additional perk of a few euros for this layout help compensate the fact that there are not much ?
This question would probably make sense also for the scandic layout which didn't made it too.

I personally don't care that much about the layout, but could take an AZERTY one if it helps having more quantity for it.

As we are speaking of buttons, will you provide a camera-shutter button ? shoulder buttons (like on game controllers, but user-mappable to ALT, CTRL, smiley keyboard popup, ...) ?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
chenliangchen, please keep some tl;dr so that one can easily see what's the current status, what has been decided an what not without digging through 20+ pages of posts.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Same for Sailfish on phone, with the example provided before that home and events with its pulley menu are portait even if you are in a landscape application...
But as said above in another post, this may be true for "some" applications and maybe the events screen, but is easily fixed with the correct patch(es). I took this screenshot today:

Everything is properly rotated. This includes gestures directions themselves, Events screen, Launcher, Homescreen, Device lock screen (including during boot), and all native applications + Android applications that support landscape mode. It took only one patch. I know it's still a patch, but there is some partial support for this without any, and one patch would probably not be considered a dealbreaker for people who are interested in Chen's device in the first place.

I have seen requests on the French community about the AZERTY layout, as Kabouik related above.
I know other French users on another forum who would be interested but have not participated in this thread, but actually I'd be more interested in QWERTY with support for dead keys for an alternative to us_international layout.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-02 at 20:23.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London

Seeing as it was not possible to do it for the Moto Mod, is there a way to ensure that it will be available for my French fellow ?

How much orders would you need to make it viable ? Could an additional perk of a few euros for this layout help compensate the fact that there are not much ?
This question would probably make sense also for the scandic layout which didn't made it too.

I personally don't care that much about the layout, but could take an AZERTY one if it helps having more quantity for it.

As we are speaking of buttons, will you provide a camera-shutter button ? shoulder buttons (like on game controllers, but user-mappable to ALT, CTRL, smiley keyboard popup, ...) ?
AZERTY layout was rather unfortunate for the Moto Mod, there was only 4 orders on IGG and I can't make it in such small quantity. And I'm not in a position that can afford another SKU with almost no demand other than a few.

But when the situation is better, ie the Keyboard Mod sells well and I will resume the layout for Scandic and AZERTY

I think same will apply to this device, unless there is a clear proof of demand of AZERTY, otherwise it will be made later than QWERTY and QWERTZ. But I DO WANT to make that version, it's matter of time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
Chen, we need more pictures, pls.
When there is a question, there is an answer.

Here is when the slider is closed, and the bottom side of the device. As well as the back of it.

Also part of the back.

We are finalising the Moto Mod development as well as making progress on this one, a lot of work to be done... Next update will be on the second half of this month.
Attached Images

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I'd be more interested in QWERTY with support for dead keys for an alternative to us_international layout.
Why don't you test it yourself using TOHKBD?
I have never configured it but If xkb support dead keys then it should works on sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Why don't you test it yourself using TOHKBD?
I have never configured it but If xkb support dead keys then it should works on sailfish.
It did in n900.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen