Notices

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Need help on status bar:

I have Clock & Alarms, Internet connection, Availability and OpenVPN on my left status bar. This causes the Flashlight to move down and I need to scroll the status bar to access it (it's adding 1-step for Flashlight).

- How can we expand permanently the status bar to have 5 rows instead of 4?
- Or how do we configure the Flashlight over the OpenVPN or something else?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
can someone please give me a link to get this app . ?

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Need help on status bar:

I have Clock & Alarms, Internet connection, Availability and OpenVPN on my left status bar. This causes the Flashlight to move down and I need to scroll the status bar to access it (it's adding 1-step for Flashlight).

- How can we expand permanently the status bar to have 5 rows instead of 4?
- Or how do we configure the Flashlight over the OpenVPN or something else?
get powertool from application manager....
this apps can change the status bar...not full adjust but it can add@delete anything at status bar...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pusak gaoq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
There's only one app you ever need in life, and it's called X-Terminal. Everything else is for the weak.

Seriously, there is no "app" to magically do everything conceivable for you. So, danx, assuming you're asking for a status-menu configuring app, it doesn't exit. It shouldn't be too hard to code, but it's like ApMeFo - one wrong character in the relevant area, and the entire thing stops working. So someone has to bother actually writing it, which no one has yet.

But, like I said half-jokingly above, you have X-Terminal. So, as far as I know, you can't change how many rows the status menu shows (by the way, it is technically five rows - the first row being the battery and valume applets). However, you CAN change the positions of things inside that menu.

So, either using something like FileBox or another filemanager (with root access), or using X-Term, go to: /etc/hildon-desktop/

Open status-menu.plugins. Here you will find a list of all the stuff that appears in your status menu, either as an icon at the top bar, or as a button/slider/whatever in the status menu itself, so long as it has actual assigned positions. Some things, like qwerty12's cpumem applet and wifi-signal applet, don't actually write entires into that file. So they always get put at the end of everything else. Flashlight (and if you use it, Live Focus) are the same way. They are sorted at the end of everything that does have assigned positions (I'm not sure what the sorting mechanism is).

From here, just open the file (as root) with either of the available editors. I think the stock notes app might be fine for it, I personally use vi from the command line, but there's plenty of editors available.

I don't use the OpenVPN status-menu UI thingy, so I don't know if it has an entry in the status menu. If it does, you can just add in the Flashlight entry, at the same number it has, and then either change the other numbers around as desired, or simply give the OpenVPN thing the last number. Or you can delete the OpenVPN status menu applet entry, and replace it with the flashlight one.

If on the other hand the OpenVPN applet doesn't have a status-menu.plugins entry, just adding a flashlight entry at the end should do it.

To be clear:
X-status-Area is the position in the status area/bar at the top when the status menu is closed. X-Status-Menu is the position in the menu itself.
X-Desktop-File is what applet is being used, typically /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/[name of the .desktop file in that directory of the applet you're going for].

The rest shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Near as I can tell, every entry starts with just the .desktop file name of the applet, enclosed in []. Not sure if it has to be that way, but then again, I never tried otherwise.

As an example, if you want the flashlight to always appear right under the battery icon whenever the lens cover is open, you would add an entry to the status-menu.plugins file saying:

Code:
[flashlight-applet.desktop]
X-Desktop-File=/usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/flashlight-applet.desktop
X-Status-Menu-Position=3
And then you'd go through the list and either edit what you'd be replacing (Clock & Alarms) to have X-Status-Menu-Position=[some other number, preferably one that nothing else has], or just edit everything with X-Status-Menu being 3 or more to whatever-number-it-was-plus-one.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
as above but i use winscp on pc
lowest number = top left position
highest number = bottom right position

edit:
you can also rearrange the status area icons the same way
clock, signal level, battery, ect
cant remember what file to edit but its there somewhere!

Last edited by leetut; 2010-11-27 at 07:41.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
It's in the same file. The stuff I typed about covers that. The position of the status area icons is determined by the "X-Status-Area-Position=" line.

Status menu applets go in this order:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
9 10
etc...

Status Area icons go in this order:
1 3 5 7
2 4 6 8
Clock (the time display and the alarm icon that appears next to it with a set alarm), Special-0 (phone signal), and Special-1 (battery icon) go before those. I have not experimented with seeing if you can get Special-2 or Special-#s in the status-area. Furthermore, keep in mind that if you have more than 8 icons (NOT counting the clock and the two specials), the ones after 8 just won't display. In portrait mode, only 1 and 2 fit. (Which is why I have cpumem at position 1 and wifi-signal applet at 2.)

- Edit -
Also, thanks for the winscp suggestion. I never use it myself, so I forgot to suggest it, but I realize some people may like using that instead.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I think it might possible to get the status menu to show 6 items, I'll look into it now

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...menu.c#line107

Install rootsh first
Code:
root
apt-get install wget # if you don't have wget
wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/hildon-status-menu_extended/hildon-status-menu_0.3.39+0m5_armel.deb
dpkg -i hildon-status-menu_0.3.39+0m5_armel.deb
killall hildon-status-menu
You might want to pin it if you want to prevent apt from replacing it later
Code:
echo "Package: hildon-status-menu
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001" >> /etc/apt/preferences

The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
dam !! thats some good information !!
i will try it . if i fail i will be writing about reflashing .

MohammadAG you are a star. Worked a treat.