Notices

What I don't quite get about the "Google Latitude Updater" is that it apparently gets you to some variant of the "google maps" website. Now, notably, on this "google maps" website:

- panning with your finger works!!
- it has zoom +/- buttons!!!!

Is there a way to get directly to this kind of google maps page? Is there a link for this? Because in this way, google map is directly usable on the N900! I just want to break this out of this app... how is this done? Is this done by tricking the user Agent, or how does it work??

/Z

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
What I don't quite get about the "Google Latitude Updater" is that it apparently gets you to some variant of the "google maps" website. Now, notably, on this "google maps" website:

- panning with your finger works!!
- it has zoom +/- buttons!!!!

Is there a way to get directly to this kind of google maps page? Is there a link for this? Because in this way, google map is directly usable on the N900! I just want to break this out of this app... how is this done? Is this done by tricking the user Agent, or how does it work??

/Z
the geeps app?

"GeePS" yeilds a blank screen on my device.

I am reffering to Linfati's "Google Latitude Updater".
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/googlelatitude

It clearly is a thin frontend to the google maps page, however, that variant of google maps doesn't have the deficiens that running google-maps directly does, i.e. not being able to pan with the finger and not having any scaling.

The "google maps variant" that the Linfati app goes to has these two issues solved; panning works, and there is a zoom +/- button.

What I wonder is, how can I get to this directly, without using this app?

I even downloaded the *source* to this app and tried to decipher what link it is actually going to, but trying to go to same link myself does NOT yeild this extra feature. It's odd, reading the source (I'm a developer myself) I don't see any extra magical handling of neither user agents nor trickery with mouse clicks, it seems a straightforward html page window.... but it gets these features... I just wonder how it does that ... that's all

/Z

Originally Posted by MasterZap View Post
"GeePS" yeilds a blank screen on my device.

I am reffering to Linfati's "Google Latitude Updater".
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/googlelatitude

It clearly is a thin frontend to the google maps page, however, that variant of google maps doesn't have the deficiens that running google-maps directly does, i.e. not being able to pan with the finger and not having any scaling.
Fair enough... I thought you were looking for a tool that will give you that, and GeePS does only that: google maps, finger-panning and zoom in/out (using +/- hardware keys)

Yes, I know, when it works (often not) it does sort-of that, but much less elegantly than this "accidental sideffect" of the Google Latitude app.

Basically, I'd want the Google Latitude app without the Latitude as a "Google Maps" app.... and since the source is available, maybe I should write it myself? Havn't seen mr Linfati around for a while anyway....?

/Z

indeed, a simple daemon + config tool is all you need. For example, I would like it to not use GPS for updating unless it was already on, etc...

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by petur View Post
indeed, a simple daemon + config tool is all you need. For example, I would like it to not use GPS for updating unless it was already on, etc...
Hi all,

I didn't read this thread for a long time and didn't know there were people interested in a Latitude daemon. I've been working on the code available in the garage page of this project and made it work as a daemon. Also, I added a settings plugin to the system's control panel.

There are still some bugs, tough. The most annoying are the high memory consumption and sometimes the daemon tries to connect to the network when it shouldn't. I'll try to fix these as soon as I can.

Source is attached but the .deb is too big to attach here, where can I upload it?
Attached Files
File Type: gz googlelatitude.tar.gz (207.6 KB, 96 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
Source is attached but the .deb is too big to attach here, where can I upload it?
Create a Garage project and upload the code there (that way other people can also access and submit modifications to the code), push the binary to extras-devel.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Create a Garage project and upload the code there (that way other people can also access and submit modifications to the code), push the binary to extras-devel.
I wouldn't like to do that without first trying to contact the original author, because it's better not duplicating the packages in extras/extras-devel...
If he doesn't answer me I'll do that, tought.

Edit: ok, requested to join the garage project, waiting for answer.

Last edited by traysh; 2011-01-06 at 04:23. Reason: feedback

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 199 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Concepcion, Chile
@traysh

push the code to the git and send me an email/dm to package and upload to extras-devel.

thanks !

The Following User Says Thank You to rlinfati For This Useful Post: