The Wall Street Journal had an interesting video WSJ Video which mentioned the other half could have parental controls which would restrict access to certain features of the phone. I find this very useful but it makes me wonder if the other half is programmable so you can determine what features launch/are restricted when used. No one is going to want to have to carry several other halfs everywhere they go just so they can swap if the need arises.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I just stumbled across this review which is something similar to the other half as we discuss it here, only it's designed for use with iphone and not part of the phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMQBhyYGypw

It's called GoStacked, which is a Kickstarter Project, more information on http://gostacked.com/
Turns out, that it didn't receive enough funding by the deadline.

Last edited by Amboss; 2013-06-07 at 23:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
...No one is going to want to have to carry several other halfs everywhere they go just so they can swap if the need arises.
You are thinking too small, Ok, not small. But, more like only thinking about "faster horses."

Jolla has likely developed a technology, implementation, probably very similar to what we've seen from Nokia with NFC-enabled accessories, that enables them to imprint into accessories an ability to connect with the Jolla and change some of the functionality with it. Per my other comment in this thread: think less "different back covers" and more "a technology that can go into other hardware such as car kits, office accessories, and home automation products (locks, lights, etc.).

The strength in going in with the approach that the back covers can be changed and functionality changes just starts the conversation. Jolla has the advisory board who has seen the failure of other modular computing platforms. With "the other half," the opportunity is in making the ecosystem something in which they are embedding the ability for an accessory to change more than just the outside.

The other half literally means "the other half of mobile that other makers have literally forgotten in this race to put mobiles in hands." Its an approach to mobile that is a concerted look inside the ability of the owner, not just outside at the ability of a service provider or even a developer.

I seriously can't be the only person who figured this out?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Think of the other half as profilematic. Except the other half doesn't have time limits. So you can change settings, profile, 3G, Wifi, lock some apps, disable features or enable (terminal/developer other half anyone? ) This certainly can be useful on paper, but will we carry loads of other halfs? I think that's the main concern for me, that the other half will be big, and will take a lot of space. Maybe mouldable/nanotech other half? ;D

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
I seriously can't be the only person who figured this out?
You don't really want me to take that bet now do you?

Jolla may be thinking along the lines as you in this one case; those are excellent examples of what I'd say people around here would call proper extensibility of the platform as a whole - however it would also mean that developers have already figured out a new, disruptive way to extend the Sailfish/MeeGo platform that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Linux stack for the most part.

Linux is a workhorse. People want it on their servers, desktops and now phones for a reason. But to have it extend to the realm of consumer consumption where it (Jolla or otherwise) intercepts our daily operations is what's missing. Either it's Raspberry Pi (regarded as a great "toy" or tinker item") or it's a web server - which can't play the latest games (Steam withstanding).

I like your vision. Let's hope that Jolla and the devs share it. That would make me jump to Jolla immediately.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You don't really want me to take that bet now do you?

Jolla may be thinking along the lines as you in this one case; those are excellent examples of what I'd say people around here would call proper extensibility of the platform as a whole - however it would also mean that developers have already figured out a new, disruptive way to extend the Sailfish/MeeGo platform that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Linux stack for the most part.

Linux is a workhorse. People want it on their servers, desktops and now phones for a reason. But to have it extend to the realm of consumer consumption where it (Jolla or otherwise) intercepts our daily operations is what's missing. Either it's Raspberry Pi (regarded as a great "toy" or tinker item") or it's a web server - which can't play the latest games (Steam withstanding).

I like your vision. Let's hope that Jolla and the devs share it. That would make me jump to Jolla immediately.
Yes. Take that bet.
That would make lots of folks want to jump to Jolla immediately. That would scare the mess out of folks that haven't figured out that open source can also mean 3D printing circuits into accessories that can and will change a phone to something that works more like a device designed in the 2010s, not 1980s?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
which mentioned the other half could have parental controls which would restrict access to certain features of the phone. I find this very useful but it makes me wonder if the other half is programmable so you can determine what features launch/are restricted when used. No one is going to want to have to carry several other halfs everywhere they go just so they can swap if the need arises.
Agreed, if that's all it's about then I'm not the least bit interested, there needs to be true hw extensibility.
If the "Other Half" is purely about being a trigger for sw auto-runs it'll quickly become too impractical, & it'll eventually be superseded by a better implementation in iOS/Android etc.
But I doubt it's purely about that, they can't be that daft...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-08 at 05:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
It appears the Other Half will be starting off being released only by Jolla and not licensed to third parties IB Times UK

The Following User Says Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
What about an eink other half?

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
If that is all about changing wallpapers and adding operator ringtone, I'd say... I actually don't know what I'd say. But let's be honest, the white other half looks stunning.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following User Says Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo