Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
[...]
  • What do we do about funding, infrastructure, resourcing of the websites & services on maemo.org?
  • What are the possible futures of Maemo, and how can we achieve them?
Future of Maemo 5 Fremantle

Pali made a list of the closed packages and provided scripts to backup repositories. based on this, two posters offered hardware they had @ home (SANs) to make a repository.
if there is interest, i'm willing to contact a UNIX User Group and ask what the conditions are for them to mirror a repository.
problem we have completely unsolved is the closed packages.
could the council "direct" ppl to work on those? or facilitate a collaboration with the CSSU team?

Saying "the Council needs to lead us" is entirely missing the point. Someone needs to come up with concrete, viable proposals which can be discussed. The council can assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

Once there is a popular, actionable plan for either of these two items, the council's power is to say "this is the roadmap" and then assist with the publication and collaboration of that, as - I'm sure - anyone vested in Maemo will also publicise.

The big "but" is, as smoku alluded to, no-one has come forward with a plan, nor even a plan to have a plan. It's unrealistic to expect five volunteers to be super CEOs of an amorphous, unruly and - if this, and so many other, threads are anything to go by - increasingly ungrateful mob.

The sad fact is that there may not be an ultimate end-game beyond "let's move to COBS for autobuilder, consolidate and reduce infrastructure costs as much as possible; have funding drives; introduce adverts and assist the CSSU as much as possible". That's still a lot of work, a lot of planning, and a lot of coordination. Who's volunteering to do it?

[1] The definition of "the community" has always been a little contentious, but my definition is "if you think you're in it, you're in it". Admittedly, this makes external definitions hard which is why we fall back on maemo.org accounts.

[2] Of course, one doesn't need to be on the Community Council to do that, but one doesn't need to be on the Community Council to do anything. You don't need its permission. You don't need its sanction. If you have a good idea, JFDI.
i leave the rest of your post rather then replacing it with my usual [...]
can't think of any comment about how enthusiastic you seem to be
did anyone ask you to be a superhero?
i wonder in how far your lack of enthusiasm is what makes the mob... "so ungrateful"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nice "ungrateful mob" jibe--because I'm sure people LOVE planned obsolescence, abandonment and secrecy.
What... The... Hell... does "obsolesence, abandonment and secrecy" have to do with the Maemo Community Council? I've no idea to what you're even referring anymore.

This is just sad. After reading up to this point.. I'm just left crestfallen and hopeless about Maemo and even MeeGo now.
Yes it is sad. Have you a plan to solve it, or do you disagree with my assessment?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
can't think of any comment about how enthusiastic you seem to be
did anyone ask you to be a superhero?
i wonder in how far your lack of enthusiasm is what makes the mob... "so ungrateful"
I'm not enthusiastic about Maemo or maemo.org!? That's a new one - thanks, I'll stop reading this thread with a smile on my face :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I'm not enthusiastic about Maemo or maemo.org!? That's a new one - thanks, I'll stop reading this thread with a smile on my face :-)
this is not about Meamo anymore.
this is about saving it after NOKIA decided to move on.
rather then gloomy posts (which abill or myself certainly already provided more then enough, right?) or promises of help & guidance, what's needed from a council would be concrete steps.
you are supposed to coordinate and facilitate?
maybe there's a little bit more needed.

clear and spontaneous communication would be a good start.
you want to hear ppl's ideas, being open to initiatives?
really?

rather then gloomy posts (which abill or myself certainly already provided more then enough, right?) or promises of help & guidance, what's needed from a council would be concrete steps. you are supposed to coordinate and facilitate?
maybe there's a little bit more needed.
I'm not currently on the council, but I tried to explain why the council shouldn't be expected to do the heavy lifting of coming up with the concrete steps to "save" Maemo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
If I was a councile member I had actually not answered this thread thats for sure its just whine over and over and olvfer again.

People want councile to "listen to the members" but its seems the members doesnt want to listen to the councile.

and about this maemo dead thuingy. last year people was angry cause Nokia did say maemo5 will not be upgarde to meego now we have an open meego projec but now all people here see doesnt want it? want the hell is wrong with you people?

I just wonder is there none of you whiners that actully has ontibuted to Maemo in some way!?

I am not that good myself in contributing but atleast I have tried..

and this dicussion about free devices first of they are not free. next dont you think it important the best devs get an device to start develop new apps? Ohh I forgot, dumb me, if they dont get a device there will no be apps so then people can start complain about lack of apps instead

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-08-05 at 00:09.

I'm not currently on the council, but I tried to explain why the council shouldn't be expected to do the heavy lifting of coming up with the concrete steps to "save" Maemo.
maybe you should leave to the council the decision and assessment of what they want to or won't do?

or are you telling the council what it should or shouldn't do?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
maybe you should leave to the council the decision and assessment of what they want to or won't do?

or are you telling the council what it should or shouldn't do?
I'm real late to the game today... but as it stands, it's sorta odd that people like Jaffa have to explain themselves over and over and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

So let's go down the line.

The council isn't being silent. They're speaking on the community's behalf. If anything, we need to find ways to be more constructive than ever before.

The assessments, they're just starting to come in. Nobody knows what's next, so passing judgement on incomplete data is rather foolhardy.

I'm not seeing anybody come down and say horrible **** to the community. The fact that it was the Linux Foundation that's created this situation is as much of a surprise as anybody else. So give it time... who knows. Maybe somebody will come up with a solution that avoids the fears of patent trolling as well as other concerns.

Now... what I find real ****ing weird... is that I'm all of the sudden a voice of reason...

Commentary will invariably happen. But if it doesn't resolve or add to the solutions, we might not be commiserating here for long.

And no... I have no clue to any idea that would even help out. So I'm just trying to calm down the negative chatter, see if somebody actually can do something...

For me, it's all about Maemo. It was the little mobile OS that "could". Now? It's becoming the little mobile OS that never got a chance to shine. MeeGo, same thing.

I'll hush up now. Just thought I'd chime in, shine some uncharacteristic positivity, share my lovely smile... toodles for now.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
There are three routes to chose from.. a single enthusiast, a new leader body or extending the mandate the council has. Somehow we need to organize something that now mostly function as in anarchy. There is no clear leader or body of leaders. I am not aware of any organization which can function without any type of leadership. So that need to be sorted out first. When it is done that new body could later organize how everything should be done.

A singular enthusiast is something anybody can be. It just needs to be somebody who is committed enough. The downside is if that enthusiast later loses interest. It would be preferable if the enthusiast also knew how to make a home page, register a domain name and administrate the services. Though the community could help with parts of this. This would be the easiest route for funding as well. It wouldl be up to that enthusiast how to sort it out. Best would be if it was a trusted member of this community. The community would pretty much build up around this person and this persons word would be law.

A new leader body could be chosen for the task. An election could even be held and administrated here at TMO with the help of the council. This election would also need some charts (rules) on how the board/organization should operate and how the board later will be replaced annually. The main obstacle here would be legal issues. This would need more than one enthusiast and preferable from the same country. Funding would rely on those enthusiast and their intentions. Trust could become an issue here. They would need to register as an organization in their country. This is also how the councils mandate could be extended. But this would mean that an re-election should be held for the council as the current members did not sign up for this.

The best and democratic solution in my mind would be a leader board but which would also be the most difficult to accomplice. It would need the most work. It would mean more than one need commitment and has enough trust from the rest of us. It would need someone to take the initial plunch and be extra committed. A very unlikely scenario in other word.

The easiest way would be if someone registered a domain and then let everyone pinch in. Growing it gradually. Managing a repository would not be too demanding. The rest of the services could though. Like the auto builder. It would be a lot of work initially. This could build and eventually become a leader board and body.

Another obstacle is hardware. If we can't find new hardware to exist on this is futile. I think the Cordia project are interesting in this regard. It shows that parts of Maemo is not locked to one device. It might be possible to put Maemo on an Adroid or WebOS device too. But is it worth it? Well, that question is something someone need to decide upon and then go to work. Without that person this discussion is pointless. Someone need to step up and take the lead.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The way i see it, this community needs a council that is actually capable of listening to it's members and have the knowledge and determination to go forward in the area it's members want them to go NOT where they think they should go.

Nobobdy on the current council either has the determination or the will to move in a positive direction towards Maemo simply because they feel it is a lost cause i am sure.

I have said my piece many times on here to know from the responses i get it is full of gutless people who lack determination and the ability to pull Maemo from a dying situation to a living one.

Maemo will die under these circumstances and as for Maemo.org, it will change name for sure obviously so all in all this has been a totall waste of peoples time and energy especially when bridges have not been crossed.

LF is a waste of time and of no use to Maemo at all in my opinion, so either find someone who has ability or give it all up.

Unless i see something positive i am done with all this now.

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down