Active Topics

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What? No...?!?!

http://openmobileww.com/

and

http://www.myriadgroup.com/

I don't think its the same...think someone is wrong
I pulled my link direct from Jollas website mate.

I wonder if Jolla is going to surprise us with their phone tomorrow....
Maybe...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So just release it make us decide what device to run it on

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The UI demo starts in about two hours. 17.00 finnish time (16.00 Berlin, 15.00 London).

Its on the event stage and has different stream from the main stage stream. Direct link: http://slush.fi/stream/?view=event-stage#a

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
it seems like the event feed screen is not available

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by AGui View Post
Also, they kept some swipe gestures, but not the animations that made you understand it right away what you're doing. Here, when he swipes, there isn't any card following your finger out of the screen, like on the N9. It may be due to a Nokia patent, but I hope they will come up with a more intuite way.
Each time a swipe is done, there should be a simple, real-world-based intuitive animation for it. Don't forget transparency and configurability of the transitions...
I also think they lack a proper identity. When you see a squircle, immediately you think Harmattan/Symbian/Nokia. There, their icons have different shapes and styles, there is no coherence, and it could be any Android frontend.
I hope they will design a proper, sailfish-based theme - or several - which would not borrow icons from other operating systems. Squares (like square tile of Windows 8) or squircles (Harmattan/Symbian/Nokia) or circles (which mobile UIs use round icons-circles?) are not the only possible choices; what about shape and colour of fish's scale? Iridescent...
And it seems to me that many of the new concepts found in Sailfish are also in the new Blackberry OS, so I hope they won't fight each other with some patents.
Hope so. Unfortunately, Jolla is not even guaranteed to be safe from patent attacks by Nokia?
I am also a bit worried that there is no status bar. I like seeing all the time my battery state, my network...
Maybe, they moved the contents of the status-bar to lock-screen, so that you would not have to unlock the device to see them. I'm not sure how easy or difficult it is to go from an application to the lockscreen and then back.
I like having a notification icon for messages or updates whatever the application I am using at the moment.
In Fennec, there is such a thing as small transient alert box (they pop up and go away on their own) used to communicate things that the user should know, but doesn't necessarily have to make a decision about. Some examples: new tab opened in background, download started/complete, add-on installed, new update available. Clicking such an alert box can switch you to the screen with in-depth information about the event: such as, clicking "new tab opened" switches you to the tab without any hassle, clicking an alert about download switches you to download manager, et cetera. Would something similar integrate well with the existing UI?
It's good that they want to do something different, but they should be careful not to loose in usability.
They should make sure the employees use this OS for everyday activities, and speak aloud to others about any inconvenience. And then, make sure that beta-testers - preferably without prior exposure to smartphones - speak their impression of the real, almost-sold, device, so that finishing touches could be made.
I have a lot of hopes for Jolla, that's why I point out the negative aspects. But there are also a good number of positive ones. Android compatibility is a huuuge advantage over Harmattan. I also like a lot the idea of the UI adapting to the main colours of the wallpaper. The interactive tiles seems like a good idea to me, even if I'd like to use it myself to have a better idea.

They just presented the current state of their new OS, I am sure it will be improved over time. And I'm looking forward to being able to install that on my N9 for testing.
UI adapting to the main colours of the wallpaper does seem genius. It requires 'merely' analysing the wallpaper when it is set and writing down the colours in the config - no battery drain later. Though pernickety users will still wish to set the colours manually, so the automatic computation should have an option to be turned off or overridden.
Thank you. Everybody.

A small convention now?

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
I didn't like what I see (it's still early though)

looks a lot more complicated than Harmattan.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I see the videos of the OS are running on N950's.

I wonder will Nokia start looking for these devices to be returned, especially since Jolla are now a direct competitor of Nokia.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What? No...?!?!

http://openmobileww.com/

and

http://www.myriadgroup.com/

I don't think its the same...think someone is wrong
Myriad was on the list of partners if I remember correctly. And I was wondering where i had heard that name...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?