Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
3Mb? Dang, that's a quite fast I2C, particularly via a B2B-connector or whatever they use. Where from you got that 3Mb figure?
And 3Mbps/8 = 375kBps (w/o overhead for protocol) if my math isn't weak. Doesn't sound like a too decent framerate to me (like 1fps on a 8bit grayscale 800*480), but then... e-ink probably has low res and low bpp, so even 8fps b&w, or awesome 32fps on a 400*240 b&w

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-20 at 07:23.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
3Mb? Dang, that's a quite fast I2C, particularly via a B2B-connector or whatever they use. Where from you got that 3Mb figure?
And 3Mbps/8 = 375kBps (w/o overhead for protocol) if my math isn't weak. Doesn't sound like a too decent framerate to me (like 1fps on a 8bit grayscale 800*480), but then... e-ink probably has low res and low bpp
Yes, I mean hey you are not going to play action games on it wot??
By decent framerate I mean something better than 2Hz

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Please elaborate what you have on mind?
What do you consider first grade and what second grade?
I'm not up-to-speed on what are currently considered the best IQ/performing eInk displays.
But for augments sake, lets assume the tech used by Amazon's latest eReader is currently "best of kind".
And lets assume it not proprietary, & hence usable for a 3rd-party Other Half OEM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...xth_generation

Yes, that's close to ideal case.
Anyway, let's not extrapolate... Time will tell

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I'm not up-to-speed on what are currently considered the best IQ/performing eInk displays.
But for augments sake, lets assume the tech used by Amazon's latest eReader is currently "best of kind".
And lets assume it not proprietary, & hence usable for a 3rd-party Other Half OEM:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...xth_generation
Okay, so the neatest Kindle has 6" dispaly with (758×1024) 16-level-grayscale pixels.
Now, assuming that the size of the OH display would be same as the one on the front side, that means with the same pixel density we get about 42% of the total pixels, that is about 326kpix.
For 16 grayscale levels we need 4bits/pixel, so it totals to about 1.3M raster clock. This is for full update of the display. If you really want to run live video on it (which is quite pointless on e-ink anyway) with any decent motion-compression scheme the required bandwidth is sufficent.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Thanks for doing the math I was too lazy to do....
So, it does indeed sound like a eInk display of the same calibre as Kindle's latest/greatest is feasible.
I'm not sure if Kindle's latest offering is in fact the best eInk tech out there...

But assuming bandwidth requirements would be quite similar for the best offering.
It seems we could (theoretically) have a "world's best" eInk display available as a "Other Half".
This could be quite the marketing coup, if done well....

Personally I prefer my eReader to be a discrete device & about 7", but I'm sure others would like this approach.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-20 at 08:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
too lazy to read the entire thread (at the risk of getting flamed :P)

1. some kick-*** awesome speakers with a kick stand
2. a proper second screen (flip it out and it would combine with the main screen to form a device with a big screen?)
3. an irda module (for a universal remote control)
4. larger capacity battery that also packs an extra micro-sd slot and a dual-sim slot??
5. a wifi booster with antenna (so your device can become a super duper hot spot? :P)
6. a transparent lcd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afI3MG65Z7Q) so you can for example flip it out and put your jolla on the table as an alarm clock!

*runs away and hides*

Last edited by droll; 2013-09-20 at 11:08.

1: no audio, latency of I2C too high, no realtime
2; not feasible, see above 10 posts
3: works
4: depends, I2C doesn't support battery. needs power pins. uSD sloooow on i2c. dual-sim next to impossible.
5: impossible as plain booster (no antenna pin), sloooow as additional pimped WiFi chip, since again i2c bandwidth. See above posts: bw=300kB/s, while WiFi needs 5MB/s
6: see 2.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Thanks for doing the math I was too lazy to do....
again: where from comes that 3Mb/s figure? IIRC standard I2C has 400k, not 3M
/j

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
4: depends, I2C doesn't support battery. needs power pins. uSD
IIRC, the Other Half specification listed on the finish preorder page lists power pins as being available.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo