Does someone remember Meego Rescue initrd? I can't find related files link since Meego is down and Tizen up.

The interesting thing was it was a kernel and initrd image loaded into ram over usb and the flasher tool. I don't know what the maximum size is that could be loaded like that but wouldn't it be nice to have the Debian-Installer that way? I was thinking about having keyboard and wifi support, and then install debian nativly without chroot on an empty (or in installer partioned) sd-card. Basically something like Debian-Netboot.

This isn't a request, nor do I know how-to myself. Just thinking about something nice and sharing that thought.

Edit, added some Debian things:
Extract and modify the initrd.gz

Now we are ready to extract the initrd.gz, modify it and bring the changes back to an initrd.gz. We know that there are different ways to modify the initrd.gz file, like concatenating another .gz to it, but we like to know what we are doing and why things work like they do. Create a folder called "initrd" under our "netinstaller" folder. To this folder we will extract the contents of the initrd.gz from the Netinstaller.

Code:
mkdir ~/netinstaller/initrd
To extract the initrd.gz use the following command.

Code:
cd ~/netinstaller/initrd && zcat ~/netinstaller/cd/install.amd/initrd.gz | cpio -iv
Copy the extracted firmware to the extracted initrd

Now, after we extracted the initrd we can copy the firmware into it.

Code:
cp -Rpv ~/netinstaller/bnx2x/lib/firmware ~/netinstaller/initrd/lib
Copy the Preseed file to the extracted initrd

If you like to integrate a d-i Preseed file you can add it to the / (root) of the initrd. Please note that the Preseed file must be named preseed.cfg!

Code:
cp -v <yourpreseedfile> ~/netinstaller/initrd/preseed.cfg
Recreate the initrd.gz

After we made the changes in our initrd we have to recreate the initrd.gz

Code:
cd ~/netinstaller/initrd && find . -print0 | cpio -0 -H newc -ov | gzip -c > ~/netinstaller/cd/install.amd/initrd.gz
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/

Last edited by Eno-Desu; 2015-08-03 at 18:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eno-Desu For This Useful Post:
With regard to ti drivers, anyone know if "Xorg driver build (SUPPORT_XORG=1) not supported. " in the release notes means we can't use it with xorg (ie wayland only)?

Edit: Window system sections seems to drop X11 from v5.x onwards.

Last edited by Android_808; 2015-08-03 at 18:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Eno-Desu View Post
Does someone remember Meego Rescue initrd? I can't find related files link since Meego is down and Tizen up.

The interesting thing was it was a kernel and initrd image loaded into ram over usb and the flasher tool. I don't know what the maximum size is that could be loaded like that but wouldn't it be nice to have the Debian-Installer that way? I was thinking about having keyboard and wifi support, and then install debian nativly without chroot on an empty (or in installer partioned) sd-card. Basically something like Debian-Netboot.

This isn't a request, nor do I know how-to myself. Just thinking about something nice and sharing that thought.

Edit, added some Debian things:

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dist...mages/netboot/
I can't say I remember MeeGo Rescue initrd.

I have actually thought about how I could make the installation more accessible to increase interest in the project. My main idea was to make install_debian.sh runnable on the N900 itself under Maemo, package it up and upload it to Extras. It would need to install a pre-built kernel but that would be trivial to provide.

The main show stopper is the incompatibility between Maemo's kernel and Debian's glibc which prevent on-device chroot. There are ways to work around this. sulu's patched glibc for EasyDebian is one option. Installing that might be problematic without a chroot. I would prefer to patch it in-place during the Debian installation process but that would require more work. Another option would be package a recent kernel (3.x/4.x) for Maemo, upload that to Extras and make it a dependency.

My main problem right now is lack of free time. As usual, any help would be welcomed.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
With regard to ti drivers, anyone know if "Xorg driver build (SUPPORT_XORG=1) not supported. " in the release notes means we can't use it with xorg (ie wayland only)?

Edit: Window system sections seems to drop X11 from v5.x onwards.
The X11 driver is available in Debian:

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/x...org-video-omap

It requires a kernel with DRM support (I will update the kernel build script for this at some stage).

What's not clear is what they mean by "not supported". Is it the building of the X11 driver that's not supported or is it that pre-built X11 drivers (like the one provided by Debian) are not compatible with the binary SGX drivers? It's probably the latter and that might explain why I couldn't get it to work.

Anyway, nicely spotted. It's something I missed. At some stage I'll try it again with v4 SGX drivers.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Thought I'd share a little update on my work towards hildon on gtk3.

I finally tracked down a few (of the many) segfaults in libhildon meaning HildonFindToolbar now passes tests. get_allocation_size IIRC returns NULL so replaced with get_allocated_height. HildonPannableArea had lots of code relating to scrolling that I didn't feel was needed to I replaced it by inheriting GtkScrolledWindow. jump_to() was easier to sort out, scroll_to() would be 1 second fix if some of the private functions from gtkscrolledwindow and gtkadjustment were public. It still needs lots of work, especially theme/style wise.

Hildon-Desktop wise, I've made a little more progress. The menu file is actually loaded now which has fixed the inability to exit the menu. Unfortunately task switching is still broken. You can view task switcher but not select any running tasks.

Hildon-Home has some initial work done. Gtk3 port is done in as much as it runs but is still pretty unusable due to remaining issues in libhildon.

At some stage I might try to sort out a vid to demo the status and problems.

Today I've been cleaning up my source and have started to upload some of the projects to github (https://github.com/android-808?tab=repositories) So far libhildon, libhildondesktop and hildon-desktop are done but some other key bits (matchbox) I still need to go over. Please note that cairo, gtk, matchbox, clutter, mx etc are all completely new to me before starting this so I expect I may have made a few errors.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Android_808: Great! I wish I had some spare time to help you, but unfortunately I don't expect to have until maybe the mid of September (when I hopefully will update cssu-thumb as well as the other projects I have suspended)

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
There are quite a few extra hurdles to overcome before anyone else can build it due to the Mer packages for mce+dsme. I will try to give option of building against a mce based on cssu version at some stage.

I'm considering next stage at the moment, regarding clutter ui toolkit.
Option 1 is to stick with mx and fix it.
Option 2 is to follow libchamplain? (think thats right) who went back to tidy and update + cut down to only have the bits we need.
Option 3 is to follow the evolutionary route the forks, ie tidy>mx>st (gnome shell toolkit).

Last one is the only true upstream maintained option, so gonna give it a shot.

This was actually the reason for todays source upload. It was becoming a mess of quilt patches against cordia version. Gives me a clean, reproducable base to work with. There is one commit on hildon-desktop that needs sorting as it's a real hack to disable a chunk of dsme related code that needs if MER/ if MAEMO define to sort it out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What is N900 specific in these scripts? I'm about trying this out on my N950.

I've already done some kernel adaptation, see https://github.com/marmistrz/debian900

@Android_808: What if we started with Gnome3 shell instead and ran native N900 apps there? Maybe it'll be easier.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2015-09-07 at 16:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What is N900 specific in these scripts? I'm about trying this out on my N950.

I've already done some kernel adaptation, see https://github.com/marmistrz/debian900

Apart from the kernel, other N900 specifics are the console and X11 keyboard layouts, possibly the WI-Fi firmware (you'll need to check this, I think the N950/N9 also uses TI firmware which is probably provided by the same package so you might be okay here), the device names for things like swap may be different, the touchscreen device and calibration in xorg.conf will be different, the wlan0 workaround might not be necessary, it might need different modules loaded in the initramfs, the device tree will be different, the U-Boot configuration script and the trigger that updates the the uInitrd image automatically won't be compatible (I'm assuming Ubiboot uses standard images for the kernel and initrd). Other than that, the rest is pretty generic.

The N950 is a beautiful device and I would have supported installation on it and on the N9 a long time ago if it wasn't such a dead-end platform. The kernel project was abandoned a long time ago and no effort was made to mainline the patches. As a result, you're stuck with using a 3-year-old kernel. Looking at the your kernel-n950.conf, you'll want to remove the OverlayFS support. Probably LXC too, some of the config option names have changed and some features will be missing entirely in that kernel. When I get some free time (won't be for a year) to put my full distro together, it will make substantial use of modern kernel features so unless someone bothers to bring the N9/N950 kernel into today's world, you can forget about it ever running on these devices.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
The N950 is a beautiful device and I would have supported installation on it and on the N9 a long time ago if it wasn't such a dead-end platform. The kernel project was abandoned a long time ago and no effort was made to mainline the patches. As a result, you're stuck with using a 3-year-old kernel. Looking at the your kernel-n950.conf, you'll want to remove the OverlayFS support. Probably LXC too, some of the config option names have changed and some features will be missing entirely in that kernel. When I get some free time (won't be for a year) to put my full distro together, it will make substantial use of modern kernel features so unless someone bothers to bring the N9/N950 kernel into today's world, you can forget about it ever running on these devices.
Hmmm... If the patches were properly sent upstream, wouldn't this mean we could use any (recent enough) mainline kernel on N9(50)?

If it's the case, I'll try to get in touch with the one who did the kernel upgrade job.

How modern kernel do we need? At least 4.0?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7