Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Enhancements go to Brainstorm.

There are 3 entries related to portrait mode but none of them has solutions proposed that people can vote:

Implement portrait mode in Fremantle Media Player (audio)

Implement portrait mode for Fremantle Messaging

Implement portrait mode in Fremantle Maps

Note that the browser has been mentioned it here as a primary case but there is no brainstorm proposal related to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I think implementing portriat in individual apps is NOT the way to go. This is already allowed, and part of the problem I see coming if it isn't core to the OS. The ENTIRE UI needs to rotate, not just certain apps.

Doesn't everyone understand this is the gripe people have about the N900 so far? By it choosing which orientation it needs, the N900 is thinking for the user, taking the choice away from the consumer, instead of presenting the option of two aspect orientations and allowing each user to decide which is best.

I suggest the rotation of individual apps be abandoned and the UI rotation be the focus. I know I'm just "the guy that whines about everything", but has anyone asked whether rotating apps or the entire UI is the best solution?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
How about " Implement Automatic Screen Rotation mode in Fremantle "?

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
How about " Implement Automatic Screen Rotation mode in Fremantle "?
Kind of, but the framework part is already pretty much done. You can do it, for instance Phone or Conboy show it.

The work that is not done is the UI design and implementation work for each of the applications. That's why imho the design tasks per application make more sense. if we would just enable the ASR everywhere right now - i guess in theory we could - the UI would be a complete mess.

Also there is a lot of work for certain GTK components that don't automatically rotate well.

So you can write it like that, but that request is then almost meaningless.

The work is with the UI's of the applications (and the UI framework), and with the UI components.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There are 3 entries related to portrait mode but none of them has solutions proposed that people can vote:

Implement portrait mode in Fremantle Media Player (audio)
If it would be useful, I could sketch the UI design layouts for say Media player in portrait. It's quite quickly doable.

But then again, is the media player UI open source? If not, it would be a bit pointless exercise for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 273 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Note that the browser has been mentioned it here as a primary case but there is no brainstorm proposal related to it.
Done:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...reen_rotation/

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Done:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...reen_rotation/
Yes, it'll be better to wait and see what is FOSS and is not FOSS in Maemo 5.

But we can already open a page in the wiki to collect concepts make by community members for verticals UIs ?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The Media Player UI is closed source. Having a good solid UI concept with plenty of supportive votes does help influencing the product management plans, specially if it's true that the amount of work is small.

In a worst case scenario your UI concepts could be useful for a community OSS media player with the Media Application Framework (OSS) running underneath plenty of work is already saved.

Brainstorm is the place to submit UI concepts as solutions. You can attach images there as well. Nobody will stop you from publishing images and files in wiki or elsewhere and link from solutions but it's better to have everything self-contained.

Ah. Well. Then perhaps... Perhaps Canola would be working on this?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Deleting my long answer in the interest of getting back on topic.

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case