@MarvFlynn
If you want, this mod can be applied easily through N9quicktweak.
You can download it from here:
http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ad.php?t=80600
The mod is Tweak G.

Last edited by TheN9er; 2012-12-28 at 05:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheN9er For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by colin.stephane View Post
Hi all,

After clarifications, here is a patch taking care of all remarks I found in this thread (auto Day/Night Mode, Traffic option enabled and properly refreshed button) :

Stable (Enable Traffic + Auto Switch Day/Night mode) :

- Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3.diff

Unstable (Enable Traffic + Auto Switch Day/Night mode + Time To Destination + Show traffic on map) :

- Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3+ETA-UNSTABLE.diff

How to apply patch :

- First, switch to 'root' user with 'devel-su' command (enter your password if changed, default to 'rootme').

- Mandatory, verify you have installed 'wget' in 'settings' -> 'security' -> 'developer mode' -> click on install icon for 'utilities'.

- Mandatory, your device need to be connected to Internet !!!.

- Mandatory, verify you have installed 'patch' utility using this command line :

Code:
clear && ID=$(id -un) ; if [ ${ID} != "root" ] ; then echo "You are not 'root', please use this command line as 'root' (devel-su) ..." ; else echo "Ok, you are 'root' ..." ; if dpkg -l patch 2>/dev/null | grep -q ii ; then echo "Patch utility is already installed, you can continue with the procedure ..." ; else echo "Patch utility is not present, installing now ..." ; wget http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/harmattan/free/p/patch/patch_2.6-2+maemo7+0m6_armel.deb -O /root/patch_2.6-2+maemo7+0m6_armel.deb && dpkg -i /root/patch_2.6-2+maemo7+0m6_armel.deb && sync && echo "Done, you can continue with the procedure ..." ; fi ; fi
- Use this console command line to install the Stable patch :

Code:
clear && ID=$(id -un) ; if [ ${ID} != "root" ] ; then echo "You are not 'root', please use this command line as 'root' (devel-su) ..." ; else rm /root/*.diff 2>/dev/null ; wget http://bigbob.fun.free.fr/N9/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3.diff -O /root/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3.diff && apt-get install -y --reinstall nokia-drive-qml maps && sync && patch -p0 -i /root/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3.diff && sync ; fi
- Use this console command line to install the Unstable patch :

Code:
clear && ID=$(id -un) ; if [ ${ID} != "root" ] ; then echo "You are not 'root', please use this command line as 'root' (devel-su) ..." ; else rm /root/*.diff 2>/dev/null ; wget http://bigbob.fun.free.fr/N9/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3+ETA-UNSTABLE.diff -O /root/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3+ETA-UNSTABLE.diff && apt-get install -y --reinstall nokia-drive-qml maps && sync && patch -p0 -i /root/Patch-to-enable-traffic-and-day-night-autoswitch-in-drive-for-N9-PR1.3+ETA-UNSTABLE.diff && sync ; fi
Can someone apply it and report if all goes well ?

How to revert patch :

- It's always the same procedure for Stable & Unstable, just use this console command line to revert back to default files :

Code:
clear && ID=$(id -un) ; if [ ${ID} != "root" ] ; then echo "You are not 'root', please use this command line as 'root' (devel-su) ..." ; else rm /root/*.diff 2>/dev/null ; apt-get install -y --reinstall nokia-drive-qml maps && sync ; fi
A++

- Edit #1 : Commit changes from mbanck on post #143 ...
- Edit #2 : Like mbanck stated on post #146, reverting back, the time he can propose something more usable (correct refreshing of Distance/ETA).
- Edit #3 : Ok, to avoid troubles, managing a new full patch containing lasts changes about Estimated Arrival Time support from mbank on post #149.
- Edit #4 : Commit latest patch from mbanck on post #152 to Stable & Unstable since it doesn't hurt ...
- Edit #5 : Commit latest patch from mbanck on post #162 to Unstable (Refreshing & Cosmetic for TTD Time To Destination) ...
- Edit #6 : Commit to Unstable, latest patch from sony123 from IRC live session to keep users clean of questions and add the most awaited functionality, the switching option from Distance to Time To Destination when guidance is active.
- Edit #7 : Commit to Unstable, latest correction from sony123 on post #221 to properly show TTD whenever the time showed in h:min ...
- Edit #8 : MY mistake !!! Commit to Unstable, mbanck patch revert on post #198 and added also the fix he provided on post #226.
- Edit #9 : Look like there is many good feedback about last treasure found by sony123 with patch on post #273, so I commit this one to Unstable and also updated the commands to install & revert the whole thing without troubles.
- Edit #10 : Commit latest patch from sony123 on post #293 to enable the traffic details page in the Unstable patch.
- Edit #11 : Commit latest patch from tenchman on post #327 to transform the 2 state button "TTD, Distance" into a 3 state button "TTD, Distance and ETA" in the Unstable patch.
- Edit #12 : Commit latest patch from tenchman on post #355 to add an additional Button MUTE into the speedwarner setting screen in the Unstable patch.

Please report it worked properly on your device then I can remove the Unstable section to keep only one full patch as Stable.

Also, don't forget to thanks :

- sony123.
- nieldk.
- Arie.
- mbanck.
- nailwood.
- jd4200.
- thedead1440.
- tenchman.

Because nothing can be done without all these guys working on their free time to debug, fix & enhance Nokia Drive application for our precious ...

A++
Thank you for your excellent work, all of you who have been involved in this mod.

Just applied with the above instructions and it went really smoothly.

Only glitch so far I found is that the map becomes blank if you go to settings and come back.
But can easily be fixed by going back into settings and selecting 2D, 3D or SAT.

Traffic works here in Finland.
Will test auto day / night when I leave home from work tonight.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time Linux/BSD enthusiast and Nokia user. I have the N900 and the N9 64GB, among many other Nokia phones.

With my N9, I have decided to avoid enabling developer mode at all costs. This led to me having to make several Debian packages for the N9 in order to achieve certain tasks.

I have registered now so that I may share a Debian package that I have made using the unstable patch (Enable Traffic + Auto Switch Day/Night mode + Time To Destination + Show traffic on map) that was so graciously put together by colin.stephane, et al--thank you all for your effort!

This package will enable all of the mods from the unstable patch listed above, without needing developer mode. In fact, you simply need to install it after enabling "Settings->Applications->Installations->Allow installations from non-store sources".

I have also included the original, unpackaged contents of the .deb, so that you may view the control, postinst, and postrm files and what they will do.

Explanation of what I did:
  1. I have taken the drive and map files in question and patched them first. They are packaged in this .deb.
  2. The postinst file simply makes a backup of the original files in their original location with a ".bak" suffix (this will incur a slight redundant usage of space, but I would rather the original files not get lost!) AND THEN copies over the patched files that are contained in the .deb package.
  3. The postrm files simply renames all of the backup files to their original names. NOTE: This means that uninstalling will restore whatever state the Drive and Map applications were in before installing this package!

Some points:
  • I am not liable for any problems encountered by using this...use at your own risk!
  • Probably best used with unmodified Drive and Maps.
  • If something goes wrong, simply uninstall and then reinstall Drive and Maps (OR, if root, use: apt-get install -y --reinstall nokia-drive-qml maps).
  • Feel free to use the tar.gz unpackaged files to fix and/or improve this package, which enables some functionality that we all deserve to have!

The files (let me know if they are no longer available):

Drive Mod Enable 1.1 package:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lbs4k2118p...enable-1.1.deb

MD5: 42f15c93124201afc5e27c4251ff7d94 drive-mod-enable-1.1.deb

Unpackaged Drive Mod Enable 1.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpi10vl6x5...ble-1.1.tar.gz

MD5: 7a93a44e0ae4df1c0a4beebe8c6314bf drive-mod-enable-1.1.tar.gz

This has been tested on my unmodified phone by installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling, etc. I hope that someone finds it useful and convenient.

TL;DR The .deb above will enable the following modifications to the built-in Nokia Map and Drive apps (from colin.stephane's unstable patch):
  • Enable Traffic
  • Auto Switch Day/Night mode
  • Time To Destination
  • Show traffic on map

Best wishes,
Mubuntu

P.S. Nokia executives: Please don't take legal action.

Last edited by mubuntu; 2013-02-08 at 08:55. Reason: Added MD5 sums, etc.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mubuntu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by mubuntu View Post
I have registered now so that I may share a Debian package that I have made using the unstable patch (Enable Traffic + Auto Switch Day/Night mode + Time To Destination + Show traffic on map) that was so graciously put together by colin.stephane, et al--thank you all for your effort!
Thank you for this! I attempted to install it but I keep getting an error. "Installation failed. Process interupted." Any idea why this would be? I have never encountered this error before.

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Thank you for this! I attempted to install it but I keep getting an error. "Installation failed. Process interupted." Any idea why this would be? I have never encountered this error before.
Hello,

Thanks for trying this!

Did you enable installation from non-store sources? That is the only thing I can think of currently, but I hope to get more feedback from other users. Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, as I am not a developer (I was just a Linux/BSD sysadmin years ago).

Maybe also try the proverbial reboot if the above doesn't apply.

Also, MD5 of the package should be:

42f15c93124201afc5e27c4251ff7d94 drive-mod-enable-1.1.deb

I hope it works!

Hello,

Thanks for trying this!

Did you enable installation from non-store sources? That is the only thing I can think of currently, but I hope to get more feedback from other users. Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, as I am not a developer (I was just a Linux/BSD sysadmin years ago).

Maybe also try the proverbial reboot if the above doesn't apply.

Also, MD5 of the package should be:

42f15c93124201afc5e27c4251ff7d94 drive-mod-enable-1.1.deb

I hope it works!
I have enable installation from non-store sources and i get the same error "Installation failed. Process interupted" when i try to install drive-mode-enabled. Installation starts but stops after a few seconds with the error message.
I don't have activated developer mode.
I have PR1.3 product code 339 for sweden

Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
I have enable installation from non-store sources and i get the same error "Installation failed. Process interupted" when i try to install drive-mode-enabled. Installation starts but stops after a few seconds with the error message.
I don't have activated developer mode.
I have PR1.3 product code 339 for sweden
Well, sorry to hear that.

I don't really know what the problem could be. Did any other users have this problem? I hope others would also chime in if it worked for them. If it worked for others, we may better understand what is causing this error.

Maybe check your free space on the /home partition (since it expands the files there temporarily). Also, try installing the .deb from both /home/user/MyDocs and /home/user.

Please provide the following information:
-Have you EVER activated developer mode?
-If yes, have you installed inception or similar?
-Have you EVER changed any folder permissions?
-Have you ever uninstalled/reinstalled Drive or Maps?
-What is your free space on /home (in terminal do: df -h /home)?

I hope to get more input, both working and non-working installation attempts.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
mubuntu,

If you use terminal to check for space why not simply install it via terminal and get the output? That would be much useful IMO...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
mubuntu,

If you use terminal to check for space why not simply install it via terminal and get the output? That would be much useful IMO...
True, but without developer mode, you cannot install from terminal via dpkg -i, etc. I have terminal installed, but never enabled developer mode.

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Please provide the following information:
-Have you EVER activated developer mode?
-If yes, have you installed inception or similar?
-Have you EVER changed any folder permissions?
-Have you ever uninstalled/reinstalled Drive or Maps?
-What is your free space on /home (in terminal do: df -h /home)?

I hope to get more input, both working and non-working installation attempts.
I have developer mode enabled. No inception or open mode. Never changed folder permissions. Never un or reinstalled maps or drive. I have 1.3g available. Hope that helps.

I have never installed anything via terminal. What is the command?