Closed Thread
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
its awsome and i would like the edges as picture

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I just found this thread.

OMG it's awesome!

I'll definitely want one!
Thanks a lot - I'm really honored, that someone skilled enough to participate in creating such awesome things as Open Hardware computers/phones (and Neo900 soon, hopefully) likes my humble work, here.

With engraved Neo900 and/or OpenPhoenux logo instead of Nokia Nseries!
No problem You may have missed it in the thread (I must admit, first post deserve cleaning and summing important info there), but pre-ordering people, amongst other things, receive free custom logo/text engraving (basically, whatever one feel fancy, as long as it's possible to engrave using CNC mill), as a way of saying "thank you" for supporting early.

BTW, development of this project - despite delays - says much about how awesome this Community is. It's only thank to supporters who donated and/or pre-ordered, that I was able to upgrade and tweak my CNC machine, in order to make it up to the task. I would be *never* able to finance all necessary purchases on my own financing, so again, kudos to all of you, gals and guys.

I suppose Neo900 project could offer some "premium option" with that case

Keep it up!
Frankly, I though about it, but was to shy to talk about it at loud If it would happen, I'm all for it.

Thanks for kind words, again!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I for one am happy to leave the finish and colour up to you. Great to see you're nearly there. Hopefully you'll be somewhere close to full body replacement when the neo900 boys have done their stuff. It would be awesome to own such a unique piece of hardware.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
I just found this thread.I suppose Neo900 project could offer some "premium option" with that case
I just imagined that too, and only these words came to my mind: "Neo900 - Terminator Edition" :P

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Looks nice, I'm currently studying to become CNC-machinist, so I have appreciation to the workmanship. Too bad my N900 gave up the ghost ages ago.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
Just imagine this on Neo900

I want to preorder (order) one full body replacement, one day i will hopefully use it on Neo900. Now it's "just" new cool suit for my beloved N900. Price doesn't matter, but i hope it will not be more than $200.

The "own design" option is just awesome, thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Congrats, Estel, on this mock-up milestone!...

It's great to see this concept moving from idea to reality....been following your progress over the past year or so on this in this forum thread...

Like the idea of the flat surface for the back cover, very practical to be able to lay N900 down flat against a desk or table surface if one wants to.

As for the edges or corners, I do recommend that they be radiused a bit as I think 'sharp corners' will tend to wear off the nice anodize color faster.

Like the idea of anodized black color for myself, but think I idea of some other colors is a fun idea.

Look forward to seeing further mock-up updates.....and ordering one soon!

Thanks for doing this!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArchiMark For This Useful Post:
Have any 3D models or CAD drawings? I'd love to mess with making my own, or something similar... Or even just seeing what I can come up with.
(18650 li-on batteries instead, anyone? )
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lexik View Post
Just imagine this on Neo900

I want to preorder (order) one full body replacement, one day i will hopefully use it on Neo900. Now it's "just" new cool suit for my beloved N900. Price doesn't matter, but i hope it will not be more than $200.

The "own design" option is just awesome, thanks!
Thanks a lot for your support - expect PM in few minutes

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Congrats, Estel, on this mock-up milestone!...

(...)

Like the idea of the flat surface for the back cover, very practical to be able to lay N900 down flat against a desk or table surface if one wants to.

As for the edges or corners, I do recommend that they be radiused a bit as I think 'sharp corners' will tend to wear off the nice anodize color faster.

(...)

Look forward to seeing further mock-up updates.....and ordering one soon!

Thanks for doing this!
Thank you Of course, corners *will* be rounded "a little", we don't want anyone get hurt by new backcover (the type of "airplane aluminum" I'm using can be surprisingly sharp when took raw from CNC milling) and indeed, it's mandatory for proper anodizing.

I'm glad, that most people seems to be fine with "flat" (apart from rounded corners) finish - it allows to use even more sturdy kickstand variant, that will nicely hide itself in cover.

BTW, just for the record - it is not a mock-up (unless we're thinking about different things when using this phrase) - photo is absolutely real, albeit took on quite "raw" (raw from CNC), early stage. It's not "fake" 3D model or "artistic concept".

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Have any 3D models or CAD drawings? I'd love to mess with making my own, or something similar... Or even just seeing what I can come up with.
(18650 li-on batteries instead, anyone? )
Sure, I'll put g-code files next week, alongside photos (it will have kickstand and separate parts for rotary camera cover incorporated). As for 18650, it is "hot" topic alongside few pages of this thread, and I've evaluated it (~7Ah batter power *is* something worth evaluating ) - impossible for backcover only (using standard N900 body), there is just not enough room due to camera and stuff - at least, until you want to make N900 3-4x thicker, or do some voodoo with putting battery outside cover.

But, it's viable option for custom (whole) body replacement phase, where I can shuffle things around a bit more. It *will* require even more thickness than mugen cover, so I'm not sure if someone else will be interested in such variant, but I'll probably do it anyway, if only for myself Then, I'll present results here.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-09 at 09:45.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well now, I'm glad I happened to find time to swing by this forum again now, of all times. As always, I feel particularly bad whenever I am unable to focus on this forum/community.

Every once in a while I checked in a lurking fashion, some of the stuff going on here, this being one of those things. I really look forward to hearing how the consultations about the radios go. One thing I've been meaning to mention, somewhere in a thread I read you mention a few months back how you were thinking that it might end up being the case that you could not use the wifi at the same time as the 3G, and vice-versa. I just wanted to note that I really hope that can be avoided. After all, don't forget that using one's phone as a wifi hotspot and tethering over mobile internet IS a fairly common use case. Furthermore, you may want to occupy your wifi radio with wifi hacking activities, and still get internet access over 3G at the same time.

Of course, if that's how it has to be, that's how it has to be. But I really really hope the ability to use both at once is retained in the full body replacement.

Also, if you wanted to make wooden back covers and body replacements too, like you suggested earlier, I think that too would be worthwhile. Obviously it seems there's more demand for the aluminum than the wood (and personally I prefer the former), but I presume it wouldn't be too expensive to make wooden ones for those who wanted to buy those, and as you remarked in the past, it would look rather nice and I'm sure some people would prefer that aesthetic.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see this finally being so close to coming to tangible fruition. (And am glad to hear people injected more funds. If I could have I totally would have donated more as well.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel