Thanks again - I bought a SmartQ7. Couldn't turn down the option to buy a new one for $215.

My impressions after having played with it a lot for three days now:
- Build quality is not stellar but it's better than I thought and no issue

- movies are a bit choppy but I'm hoping to switch over to Ubuntu soon and we'll see what player I can get working there

- battery life is indeed great!

- good wifi connection and really good browsing

All in all I like it a lot. The screen feels huge after switching from the N810 to it.

I was looking at getting either a netbook or a larger tablet for my coffee-shop-visits and I'm really happy I got this one. The price was right as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
um why don't you look into the newer smartv7 for a little more

http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/smartd...-c-41_2_5.html (if you really want it, its a better price than you found)

http://www.jiongtang.com/shop/smartd...c-41_2_25.html

for more pics and a review
http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/

edit: blast i missed that you already bought one... oh well i guess for those that come accross this thread the infos there

Last edited by qkall; 2009-11-26 at 08:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to qkall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
the new SmartQ V7 (with better CPU and HDMI output) just get released by DealExtreme for 275 US$.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
The V7 is so close, yet comes up a little bit short in every category.
  • 7" screen instead of 9" or 10"
  • 800x480 instead of 1024x600 (or the 1280x720 it can output on the HDMI port)
  • .25GB RAM instead of .5 or 1GB of RAM
  • 1 USB host/otg slot ... instead of 2 or 3, and while it mentions mouse support, no mention of keyboard support.
  • No dpad (nor even a trackball)
  • Proprietary charger, instead of a mini-USB client charge/sync port

I hope they put out a 9" or 10" model that fills in those gaps (and maybe has a faster CPU).
I also wonder if there's any way to order it without the Windows CE partition (hopefully nothing requires it, like for activation, firmware upgrades, etc.). Being able to reclaim that for expanding the Android or Ubuntu partitions would be nice.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
The V7 is so close, yet comes up a little bit short in every category.
  • 7" screen instead of 9" or 10"
  • 800x480 instead of 1024x600 (or the 1280x720 it can output on the HDMI port)
  • .25GB RAM instead of .5 or 1GB of RAM
  • 1 USB host/otg slot ... instead of 2 or 3, and while it mentions mouse support, no mention of keyboard support.
  • No dpad (nor even a trackball)
  • Proprietary charger, instead of a mini-USB client charge/sync port

I hope they put out a 9" or 10" model that fills in those gaps (and maybe has a faster CPU).
I also wonder if there's any way to order it without the Windows CE partition (hopefully nothing requires it, like for activation, firmware upgrades, etc.). Being able to reclaim that for expanding the Android or Ubuntu partitions would be nice.
Your complaints are valid, especially the part about the screen. However you can't deny that this is probably the cheapest device of its kind. I'd say it doesn't have a direct competition at all.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Right this minute? Probably true.

The several other 7" Android Tablets about to be released will probably change that...

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Right this minute? Probably true.

The several other 7" Android Tablets about to be released will probably change that...
Could you link to them? I'm in the market for such a device.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Agent 770 View Post
the new SmartQ V7 (with better CPU and HDMI output) just get released by DealExtreme for 275 US$.
i am not sure how much the cpu is improved, mostly it seems they have gotten a SOC with HD decoding on chip or something to handle the HDMI connector.

still waiting for a non-phone cortex device...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
i am not sure how much the cpu is improved, mostly it seems they have gotten a SOC with HD decoding on chip or something to handle the HDMI connector.

still waiting for a non-phone cortex device...
You just made me realize that I was a bit misled to believe that the V7 is powered by Cortex-A8. It isn't, it's a Telechips TCC8900 SoC, ARM11-based with some hardware HD video decoding and encoding. Should be quite good anyway.