I jsut bought this phone off of CL's for 300. I have had the phone for over a month but I haven't been able to put it to use since it doesn't have a screen protector and no USB cord So tell me everything I can do with this wonderful phone.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
CL's -- is that a shop?
300 -- is that a currency?
unable to put it to use without a screen protector? were you hoping to use it as a coaster or something? I don't think there's an app for that...

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply....
How it happens you have no USB cord?
Well, you can still connect this device to the computer through Bluetooth.

Connection to PC (together with PC Suite installed on the computer) would allow you to download maps for Ovi Maps.

I hope you have some kind of Internet on it, then, if you cannot connect the device to the computer?

You can, with this device:
1. type commands in X Terminal (like: uptime);
2. turn on GPS (by opening some application which uses GPS: Ovi Maps, ModRana, Navit, Camera with geotagging enabled, location-test-gui (the program which tells you how many satellites it can see)) and get geographical position of the device (the GPS lock takes between 1 second and 15 minutes, depending on your location, weather, etc);
3. look through files in MyDocs directory (File Manager);
4. edit Settings:
choose theme to use (the look of the icons, colors of windows);
set date, time, timezone;
set brightness of display and backlight timeout (any number of seconds);
turn on/off touch screen vibration, virtual keyboard, word completition, have up to three different input languages (one on hardware keyboard and two on virtual keyboard);
switch between silent and general profiles, so that with silent profile even incoming telephone call will not be heard, and with general profile you can edit volume of touchscreen sounds, key sounds, system sounds, and alerts.
set language and region;
set notification light (for any alert, you can set your own special notification light: white, orange, green, red, blue);
connect to another phone with Bluetooth and transfer and sync some data, like contacts;
turn on/off FM transmitter/receiver (range of 76-108 MHz);
to use receiver, you need application FMRadio;
FM transmitter can be used by Media Player to transmit played music to a nearby (up to 3 meters) radio receiver (car radio, for instance), just in case the above-mentioned receiver has better speakers or is easier to control while driving;
set up default email client to check mail while connected to Internet;
check version of your operating system in "About";
turn on/off device lock (after n minutes of idling the device will require you to input your code in order to access it);
use a TV as a screen, if you have the TVout cable;
calibrate touch screen.
5. use the device as alarm clock (even if you switch it off, it will switch itself on when alarm time comes);
6. measure distance to an object with help of camera autofocus (beta feature, with Metre application);
7. look through all the images in MyDocs folder (Photos icon in the menu), rotate and crop them, change brightness and contrast, etc;
8. scan documents with your camera (Front View 900);
9. scan barcodes with your camera (mbarcode);
10. perform some basic calculations (default calculator);
11. draw (sketch, pen pen, my paint);
12. play audio/video/internet radio (default Media Player);
13. write documents (default Notes);
14. read PDF documents (default PDF reader);
15. manage installed applications (default Application Manager);
16. read User Guides (too short);
17. add tasks and notes into the Calendar;
18. play chess, blocks, marbles, makjong;
19. make backups;
20. make phone calls and manage contacts;
21. film photographs and videos with the camera;
22. read RSS feeds;
23. send/receive SMS and IM;
24. browse the web in MicroB/Fennec, check email in Modest, check weather in Foreca;
25. play PeQersi (and any other game you find: Destroid, Flobby, etc);
26. look at the stars with Orrery and Stellarium;
27. read and translate with your camera (phototranslator);
28. solve Sudoku;
29. control TV and Air Conditioner with N900 as infrared remote;
30. have Britannica and any other dictionary in your pocket (QStarDict).
31. use N900 as stopwatch;
32. boot MeeGo/Nitroid if you want to.
33. stitch your photographs into Panorama;
34. run OpenOffice.org if you want to;
35. reflash the device when by editing system files you made it not bootable;
36. develop your own applications/port applications from other platforms;
37. replace keyboard with handwriting recognition (cellwriter).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sub-Negro View Post
I jsut bought this phone off of CL's for 300. I have had the phone for over a month but I haven't been able to put it to use since it doesn't have a screen protector and no USB cord So tell me everything I can do with this wonderful phone.
Go to the store and buy any standard micro-usb cord.

Download the manual and read it.

Read this forum for a bit.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
@wikiwide, If I turn on the GPS, do I still need to connect to the internet to lock my location?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by kulas View Post
@wikiwide, If I turn on the GPS, do I still need to connect to the internet to lock my location?
No, you don't. You can get GPS lock without any cellular/internet connection, though it might be somewhat slower, because cellular or Internet connection might give additional information about satellites available so that the lock would be faster.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
No, you don't. You can get GPS lock without any cellular/internet connection, though it might be somewhat slower, because cellular or Internet connection might give additional information about satellites available so that the lock would be faster.
really? but unfortunately.. it wouldn't lock my location..

It needs time. It can hardly lock inside a building. The weather should better be non-cloudy.

Install application location-test-gui.
It will tell you how many satellites it can see and how many satellites it has locked to.
To get a GPS lock, you need at least four locked satellites;
to get four locked satellites, you need about four-ten satellites seen in the sky.

By moving from one point to another you can change how many satellites you can see (one, two, four, ten).
When you see eight-twelve satellites, you can stop and wait till you get GPS lock.

Check (in Settings->About product) what version of operating system you have.
It's said that the most recent version (10.2010.19-1) has faster GPS lock.
If you have older version, you should better update, though not necessary.

Inside a building nearby a window, getting a GPS lock can take half an hour. Don't worry; satellite signals are very weak, and interference due to multiple refractions from buildings doesn't make locking onto them easier.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
try leave the GPS on for 10mins to 30mins then it will be locked. Cold lock requires some time to get it working. Once you get it locked then next time it will be faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sub-Negro View Post
There is one great thing you can do, you can sell it me for $200

Last edited by somedude; 2010-10-22 at 01:54. Reason: *it