Hello,

I have to go on a plane for 12 hours or so, and am looking for a way to extend the usable life of my n810.

One solution would be to buy extra batteries and either a wall charger or charge them in the device itself.

I have seen the battery pack for nokia devices (essentially a battery on the end of a cable), but they are not available in Australia yet, and the pre-orders price suggest they won't be cheap.

What other options do I have? What is the status of power on planes? Last time I checked, you had to get a "special" charger from the airline, on board, for a stupid amount of money for what is essentially a cable.

Cheers,

Paul

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Back in February I flew from London to San Francisco, so I bought myself a cheap battery extender taking 4 AA cells. I reckon it managed one good recharge and then slowed down the discharge rate after that. By the time I arrived in San Francisco it said it had less than 1 hour remaining and wasn't showing any signs of recharging. I think that's the biggest problem with such chargers: if I put my phone onto a charger which isn't able to source enough current the phone display says 'not charging' but the n810 just looks like it is charging even though it isn't getting anywhere. What I don't know is whether Nokia's own battery extender will actually work any better than a cheap noname clone.

Anyway, 4 AA's saw me through a long flight playing Curse of Monkey Island. Forget about using the n810 to watch movies on a plane unless you have noise cancelling headphones, you just don't get enough volume (at least not in cattle class).

I've found that the Ultimate Ears superfi 5's work nicely with the Nokia N810 for isolation and any movie's I've encoded I've boosted the volume with Allok video converter.

My battery solution is pretty basic. Just bring a couple of extra batteries with me on the road and a cheap charger I purchased off of Ebay.

What is the risk with those batteries that the ebay chargers come with? Is it that they may just not perform very well, or could they actually damage the n810?

I tried out the knockoff battery that came with that Ebay charger and it registers for 3 hours of use compared to Nokia's 7 hour run time. I don't know about actually damaging the N810 because when it's running, other than the reduced battery life, there's very little to show that it is affecting the Nokia N810 in a negative way. For 10 US dollars ( battery and charger ) I wasn't expecting much from the battery, but the charger works fine with the normal retail Nokia batteries.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Just be careful to get a good battery.
LI-ION goes bang.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Just be careful to get a good battery.
LI-ION goes bang.
Li-Ion != Li-Polymer

The N8x0 uses Lithium Polymer. Li-Ion has higher performance but occasionally one catches fire. Li-Polymer is fairly safe. Unless the battery is improperly discharged there's negligible risk of 'bang!'

As for the OP's power issue, I remember seeing a Nokia airline charger. But a quick google search didn't bring it up. However Airline->car-lighter adapters run < $20. One of those combined with a car charger would do the trick...

Cheers,
kernelpanic

Mugen Power now offers 2 types of extended batteries for N810, 1800mAh and 3600mAh. Their are well known for good batteries, I personally used 2 PDAs with their extended batteries and all worked fine. here is the link:
Nokia N810 1800mAh battery
Nokia N810 3600mAh battery

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
GOOD FIND -
twice the capacity, but does the Nokia N810 3600mAh battery come with a different cover or is that just a photoshop cover?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
would be nice if they had the option for the n800