Active Topics

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
Thank you for the offer of the scud batteries. I really appreciate it but for now I'm going to wait and see how Mugen responds.

Side note: you don't owe me a thing. Glad to send it your way; you made a great review. I might pay you to fashion a scud duo for me if Mugen acts like a douche about the battery business. If they complain about my dropping it I'm going to cite their false advertisement. If they don't take it back then I will try to repair it and thereafter test the battery, post my findings (which will obviously match yours) and then the company can't refute their false advertisement.

We shall see how this plays out.
Ok but the offer is on the table, let me know what happens.
And yes mugen has some explaining to do, both on the capacity and if it can get disconnected inside (between circuit and battery) when dropped then that is shameful build quality on par with some of the fake battery's i tested.

And the scuds i have i did not pay for, Lucia Lui's Store gave me the sample because of the tests, also good advertisement for the store, since it is the one that is linked to.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2012-02-10 at 22:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Old Abe View Post
I already contacted them this morning. My first thought was actually the same you mentioned (contacts) but I don't generally tinker with batteries.
Could check if there's voltage on it? That's not tinkering really.
If no voltage something has gone faulty inside.

Also consider if the contacts on the device are slightly misaligned, this could possibly cause some makes of batteries to work and other not.

Just got the first email back from mugen, and what a load of S*IT i just got, it sounded like they did not even know what they where making (battery's), also they can't see a problem with the price of their battery, i must say after going over it, and reading alot of users here having problems with their mugen battery over the years, say that the quality of this XL battery is not very good compared to others like our beloved SCUD that only cost 25$ for 2x to make a 3000mAh XL battery.

But they have one more reply and it better be VERY good.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
i just got my 3 ordered scud batteries from lucia lui today.

I must say i used one battery alone and measurement gave me 1648ma - this battery IS powerful!

i am now doing the measurements of the assembled double battery - playing a video for more than 3 hours, and the device seems to have much more power to hold on...

The original battery became too weak so i decide to go with this thread's suggestions and tips.

Thanks for this great forum and amazing people that makes all this crazy stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
damm mugen are just trying to discredit me, also they did not read a fu*king word of the email i sent, they actually think i used the N900 to test the battery's!!!

They are really p*ssing me off, to the point that i would almost ask my fellow maemo users to send them mails.

Dr. Frost,

I am currently in "litigations" with Mugen. I will keep you updated with developments. I will be shipping my battery back to them tomorrow. We will see how that plays out.

Please keep us updated with what you find. If they mess with me about this battery I am going to post my own findings of underpowered Mugen batteries.

Regards,

Abe

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post:
I read the battery guide, very useful indeed

Now I have a question: those batteries (specially polarcell and scud) are so good considering other parameters more than the capacity? I'm speaking of things like overheat, durability, possibilities of damaging the device after long usage.

Since they are not original products I'm a bit scared of; you know, now I got two batteries and to be sure of getting a genuine Nokia BL-5j, I buyed a broken 5230 on ebay

Originally Posted by enne30 View Post
I read the battery guide, very useful indeed

Now I have a question: those batteries (specially polarcell and scud) are so good considering other parameters more than the capacity? I'm speaking of things like overheat, durability, possibilities of damaging the device after long usage.

Since they are not original products I'm a bit scared of; you know, now I got two batteries and to be sure of getting a genuine Nokia BL-5j, I buyed a broken 5230 on ebay
SCUD and Polarcell are recommended cause of top build quality and top capacity, the same goes for Japod, and of course Original BL-5J battery, you can buy a scud, no problems there.

This is also why i included a Best Battery list of the top 5 in capacity, where i recommend SCUD, Polarcell and Japod

i am trying to recalibrate the N900 to my dual scud battery according to Estel's great guide (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=846)

After VDQ=1 (battery is full) I disconnect the charger and run "stop bme".
After a minute I run the "bq27200.sh" script and make sure that VDQ=1 (I also did that a few times during the discharge process in order to make sure that everything is still OK).

At some point during the discharge (approx. at half way), I can see that $RSOC%=0 and the battery is still far from being empty. After this time, running "bq27200.sh" shows VDQ=0 and so - I cannot get the phone to fully discharge and recalibrate (to get to EDV1=1 just after VDQ=1).

How can this be solved?

[Update]

i've see Shadowjk' post at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=888 but failed to understand it - this answer was given to the exact problem i'm having.

Shadowjk said "if it runs for too long" - what is he referring? what is running for too long? i tried to charge until the charging led became green and then waited ~10 minutes more before disconnecting the charger, but still had this problem.

does the explanation means that RSOC becomes 100% before the charger's light is becoming green? does charging to reach the green light is the cause to the VDQ=0 before discharging ends?

Last edited by impeham; 2012-02-20 at 22:49.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
As I mentioned before, I've had good luck with Mugen over the years.

My impression is that a comparatively ignorant customer service type handles most of the correspondence. Treating him as if he is Mugen is kind of like treating me like I'm Dr. Frost and talking about how poorly informed maemo.org is.

That's not to excuse Mugen, but my experience with several of their batteries over several years has been good.

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc