Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I know of a *possible* additional device. There were hints. But whatever it is/was/may be, it was kept much, much better hidden from the Nokia rank and file than Rover (RX-51) was. My queries went nowhere.
Thanks for giving us, unworthy, a bit of hope

Only a very small bit. In corporation of Nokia size there are many study devices which will never see light of day from corporate dungeons.

Me? Probably waiting for Harmattan, Q4 2010...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
IIRC RX-71 may well be that top-secret device. Details were locked down tighter than Nokia's support for Ovi.
please be careful. i'd like for you to stick around here, even with your 'quiet time' is technically over.

thanks for the puzzle pieces. i've got a much clearer idea now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
My summary of this "leak":
  • A repeat of cool stuff we learned about 8 months ago at the Summit, mixed with a few extra cool things we learned 6 months ago from the Alpha SDK.
  • Some limp extra specifications and release dates that don't sound exciting at all.
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I still think this is not true. Especially since we had no idea about the voice coming so soon. The only problem i see is with texrat's comments
Things that sit wrongly with me:
  • The documents refer to the "flagship" device; we've always heard it called the "lead" device by Nokians.
  • No mention of RX-anything.
  • There just isn't anything new in here. All the "new" stuff is, as others have pointed out, more like the N97 than the N810.
  • Voice? While nobody came out and denied voice for Fremantle, I got the impression that voice was being saved for Harmattan.
  • "Rover"?!
  • No mention of stuff we know would be in there, like the GPS and the accelerometer. Those were added in later, as an oops! "update". Suspicious!
  • The specs just seem so boring and "phone-like" that it doesn't feel like the kind of thing the Maemo people would release for us.
Originally Posted by davidgro View Post
Your sarcasm is not strong enough: Our N800s have up to 64GB (I suppose only half of that would be "external" by some definitions, but it is all removable)
I was just commenting on the N800 I was holding in my hand at that moment, the one that I was using to type the comment. But you're right; I should have used "up to" specs, like in the "leak".

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
T-mobile 3G, and T-mobile launch: While I'd have bet on this before, I didn't really believe it. Very good news
Yeah. Really lovely for Canada.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
(Honestly, it says a lot about the N800, released over two years ago, that even though this new device is definitely in the top tier of new hardware, we're still seeing it as being a step downward in many ways. I just wish they could come out with something that's as awesome today as the N800 was back then, instead of just staying in the top tier.)
Amen, brother.

UPDATE:
Ok, ok, so "Rover" is the real name, and Texrat has confirmed the specs. Sigh. Shrug.

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-25 at 17:06.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
please be careful. i'd like for you to stick around here, even with your 'quiet time' is technically over.

thanks for the puzzle pieces. i've got a much clearer idea now.
I think I'm careful enough, thanks. Nokia can't do anything to me-- in a couple of months I'll be filing for bankruptcy. Can't sue a guy for what he no longer has.

Reggie is a different story though...

EDIT: I said that in haste, sorry.

I don't intend to be a cause of concern for Nokia. There's no chance of being hired back due to the business changes but I'm not going to use that as justification for being a troublemaker. I apologize to the community and to Nokia employees for being flippant.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-25 at 19:21.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I think I'm careful enough, thanks. Nokia can't do anything to me-- in a couple of months I'll be filing for bankruptcy. Can't sue a guy for what he no longer has.

Reggie is a different story though...
Actually nokia should be thankful of texrat. Its only because of him(rx-71) that we are still in this forum.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
I thought an Internet Tablet is what we are all waiting on? There is a 159 page 1,581 posts thread called “What would you realistically like to see in the N900?” How many times was there a request for a 3.5” screen?
Well, there were, I believe, quite a number of requests to make it smaller. It's smaller now.

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
That's the thing. NONE of us are getting any younger.
Sure, but I'm only aging at about 365.25 days a year -- when my eyesight appreciably deteriorates (several device-lives down the road), then I'll worry about large-print handhelds. Or maybe I'll have my eyes fixed with the advanced technology we'll have then.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
is there any reason why they'd stick with 800x480 on such a small screen? it already was luxury on the current tablets, but seriously: which kind of application would benefit from such a high dpi value? I don't see the point of it any longer. very confusing.
To avoid breaking a bazillion apps? To display poorly-designed web pages fairly correctly? To display text without annoying chiclet-pixels? Actually, what kind of application is hurt by higher DPI? Resolution-independence makes apps DPI-neutral, and all common resolution-dependent problems induce breakage on reduced pixel count, but just display "too small" on a smaller screen with the same pixel count.

Besides, 800x480/3.5" is not particularly high density for a top-end mobile. You're just accustomed to the lameness that is the mobile industry outside Japan. They're all over WVGA (800x480 and wider) on 3" screens, and a few even smaller.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
So there you have it... How many people believe this... and how many not...

I can certainly understand people reaction to the smaller physical size, including screen. I had similar reaction when I first saw the specs...

Since then I have had time to digest the idea, and lately I do like the idea of new tablet being smaller. Since it also appear has cellular voice capability, I can think this being my "one and only" easily pocketable device I carry with me everywhere. The current N810 is just a bit too big to be carried in jeans pocket... Personally I welcome the new tablet.

It is not too difficult to see this being marketed by T-Mobile (USA) as an competitor to iPhone. I can only hope the tablet is not locked for T-Mobile... but in order to compete with iPhone sales terms (reduced purchase price) I can not see way around this. I'm sure there will be network unlocked versions that you can buy directly from Nokia or other Nokia authorized resellers.

On the other hand, now there iwill be new market for a tablet with a bigger screen... Maybe the RX-71?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yeah. Really lovely for Canada.
Come on, do you think you could afford one of these on a Canadian carrier?

Stateside, T-mobile seems to be the least evil, by a good margin, of the national carriers. From what I've heard of Canada, I'm not sure there is such a thing as "least evil".

But I think I heard that Rogers has some AWS spectrum, too, so there should be some hope...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I guess Nokia's future is back to being just phones...

Bummer.

NOK closed @ 14.66 on Friday after climbing slowly out of its hole at the beginning of March (below 9). Lets see how she looks this time next week.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is by no means remotely official (I didn't know about the TMO plans) but consider that Nokia has had a great relationship with Rogers, so anything is possible...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile