Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Let this be a place to collect watchface ideas and spark watchface creation for Asteroid OS.
It got unnecessary quite around Asteroid Os since the dire demise of the not project related "ConnectWatch" and its creators sad runoff.

I am kind of proud to present my very first ever public code contribution to Asteroid OS. You all know me as a humble coding noob, so any suggestions to existing watchfaces are highly appreciated.
Since i developed some kind of fun in the process, i am also looking for creative ways how to display time according to Asteroids UI guidelines.
So if you have an idea, describe, create mockups or code snippets and someone might finish it in collaboration.

My unofficial-watchfaces repo

official - AsteroidOS/unofficial-watchface repo to pull against

my collection as of 2018-02-01

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Hi Mosen,
those look wonderful!
I hope to publish one or two I've been making next weekend. But they're not as good as yours.

edit: would you be willing to try mine before I make a pull request? I only have a dory watch and don't know for sure if they look ok on other models.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2018-02-01 at 13:00. Reason: p.s.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by velox View Post
edit: would you be willing to try mine before I make a pull request? I only have a dory watch and don't know for sure if they look ok on other models.
Would love to see yours!
I can test on dory and lenok(LG watch R) wich has higher resolution and round display. I got aware of lineheight problem in my day-clock-24h that way beause it was/is set parent.height related

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
I had some time to sort of finish the second one, so I pushed them tonight.

kitt

Well, it's supposed to look like a watch from an old tv series.
Initially, the dial was supposed to be a compass. But I didn't get any readings, so I scrapped that. It has a battery indicator, though, and shows BT connectivity via the white icon below the LCD.

arc

Arc is the second one, but with it's variants it's (currently?) eight watchfaces.
The variants are different in colour (light/inverted), draw style (pie chart/arc) and seconds (visible or not).
It has a barely visible battery indicator as the centre circle background.

Same thing as with mosen:
My unofficial-watchfaces repo

and a link to the official repo, as well

@mosen Thanks for checking it out!
___

Last edited by velox; 2018-02-01 at 23:35. Reason: +arc battery indicator

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Coool!

The kitt is very nice because you took the effort to make it transparent.
Will dig into your battery reading code and play around some more when it gets quite again.

Arc on round watches will look very pretty imho. i am going to make a photo from the actual g watch running it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
After trying some of your watchfaces, I must say I like the "contemporary digital rings" best.
It's a bit like a much more cheerful version of my arc.

Also, I like "worte" a lot. But maybe consider changing the second "true", because it shows as "fünf nach drei uhr" instead of "fünf nach drei".

Another thing I noticed: I think it would be better if you tried to put the various get-screenshot.sh outside of the project directory and remove it from the repository. While useful, it does not really belong there IMHO. Perhaps some of it would be nice to have in the README.md…?

Regardless of my bickering: Great job!

Oh, and "my" battery reading "code" is hardly anything, just some imports and two QML elements directly taken from the asteroid launcher itself. Feel free to take anything you need.

cheers!

edit: fixed a thing on arc I missed yesterday where Qt Creator sometimes inserts 0 at font sizes and made it less noisy at start up (journalctl).
___

Last edited by velox; 2018-02-02 at 20:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Will be back home tmrw morning and test yours on lenok.
the scripts are a result of my lazyness.
Initially i wanted to do one script that recieves parameters from commandline so you can choose the folder the scripts operates in, but yeah, 15 minutes later i just copied the script to every watchface folder. lol. not quite professional.
I am going to remove them and try again to do a decent script for the readme! Thanks for the hint.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Greetings !

any suggestions on the best (current) watch to try this on ?
https://asteroidos.org/install/
seems to indicate DORY has the fewest issues,
but is that a fair assessment ?

Are there any reports of someone running AsteroidOs
on one of the cheaper types we find in Asia ?

I could see buy a cheap one,
but if someone has already had luck with something
I would start there.

seeing this makes me think I can make a watch
that runs a derivative of
TAI

which is a killer app for me

thanks

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2018-02-04 at 15:47. Reason: edit add thoughts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
seeing this makes me think I can make a watch
that runs a derivative of
TAI
which is a killer app for me
thanks
woot! Go for it

Hw wise, if you seek low price entry, go for dory which you can snatch for ~50-70€ used but good condition.
downside of dory is low display resolution, tiny battery and lack of wlan. (not supported now anyway)
lenok has nicer and brighter display but is not quite as good maintained afaik.
Owning both i will go for bass next as it seems to combine nice hw and support. Also Jolla choose bass for theyr stuff so maybe if jolla ever releases something smartwatch related, bass is the likely candidate. anthias, wran, sprat, swift & tetra seem to be initial ports with much work to do, but i may be wrong and would love to hear contrary reports from users!

Last edited by mosen; 2018-02-04 at 16:10. Reason: typos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by velox View Post
@mosen Thanks for checking it out!
finally testing.

So much wow for the kitt!!
generally the screenshots can not quite deliver the same feel as the actual watchface but the kitt is another level especially the gradiant lcd background is very convincing! Totally worth the effort to try again with gps imho Didn't i see a tweet of an actually working unreleased compass app for asteroid?
I learned much about svg usage and will update my day clock soonish.

From the arc concepts i most like the idea of combining fixed digits with the advancing arcs for good readability. my attemps now seem quite "overdone" after looking at yours.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: