Active Topics

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my N900. I let it sit on my desk for a while (about 3 hours) and did not use it. The 2G/3G coverage is excellent (all bars).
I was sitting in the same room when I received a SMS from my provider about a missed call 1 minute earlier. This is just weird. The phone was not ringing and the person on the other end told me that it said "the subscriber you've called is not available".

I've already had this three times now in an area with great 2G/3G coverage. The phone was not connected to the internet, it was idling around doing nothing. The battery is fully charged.

Is there anyone here who already had this problem? Any ideas? I don't see any suspicous messages in dmesg.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
i am 99.99% sure that this is an issue with your provider, not the n900. a new sim card might help.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Did you see if the n900 switch frequently between 2G and 3G network?
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
i am 99.99% sure that this is an issue with your provider, not the n900. a new sim card might help.
I've already contacted my provider about this. They said everything is fine on their side. The only thing they did was re-provisioning my SIM card, which did not seem to help.

Originally Posted by m750 View Post
Nope. I set the phone to 3G only in the "Settings", because we have full 3G coverage in my area. Receiption does not seem to be an issue.

OK,
for me it is better not to take forced the 3G network: the signal level is not indicative of quality.
However you can try to cleaning the SIM contacts, and check that the SIM slide put a good pressure.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
I had this problem when my n900 was set up to autoselect between 2G and 3G. It is network problem despite of what you've been told. Try to setup yours to be connected to 2G only and check if the problem remains. And as a bonus you will get much better battery life .

Originally Posted by m750 View Post
...of course, if the phone switch continuosly between 2G and 3G coverage (and viceversa), is better to force to 2G network

Thanks for the hints. I find forcing my phone to 2G somewhat problematic because:
  • mobile internet is too slow
  • less security than 3G (eavesdropping, ...)

I just cleaned my SIM card (the contacts looked pretty good by the way) and I'll try to reproduce this. If it is still an issue I'll try another SIM card and report back.

Thanks everyone. At least it does not seem to be a common N900 problem