Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
yes tried rebooting 4 times, what does apt-get update and apt-upgrade actualy do? thanx
apt-get update ensures your device's database is in synced with respective repository and apt-get upgrade "updates" out-of-date packages on the local device with new versions available on the repository. You'll need internet connection for this and make sure application manager is not running or apt-get will return error.

One good example is if you previously had pidgin extra plugin protocol for contacts and conversation installed, you'll notice another app called pidgin bonjour and sametime will be installed along with it. For some unknown reason bonjour and sametime will not be removed even after you uninstalled the pidgin extra plugins. apt-get update then apt-get upgrade can get rid of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hwong_pz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dbs11 View Post
i have installed this plugin and i think its great BUT, when i look in my N900 contacts and see the facebook contacts online i can not successfully merge the facebook contact to the device contacts.
for example: i log onto facebook chat (via VoIP and IM accounts > utilising conservations capability) and I see the contacts who are online. I can merge to their relevant contact profile (on N900) but, if i log out of FB, and then log back in, the FB chatters are no longer assigned to the relevant N900 Contact Profile. Merging becomes pointless because everytime i merge (from loggin in, and out) it adds another FB field into the N900 contact profile with the same details.

Is this something everyone else is experiencing??
(hope iv explained that ok).
Same here.
btw. Would it be nice if Hermes fetches the chat ID and merges it into existing contact?

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
Nice add on am sure it would be very usuful but I doubt i would be able to use because it problem doesnt support network proxy like 100% of the internet awared maemo applications out there

My Blog

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
Nice add on am sure it would be very usuful but I doubt i would be able to use because it problem doesnt support network proxy like 100% of the internet awared maemo applications out there
Why don't you try it first, hmm?

Did you every trying setting http_proxy in xterm or are you just going to moan continuously?

Originally Posted by jaxxstorm View Post
Did you every trying setting http_proxy in xterm or are you just going to moan continuously?
That only works with apps that use libcurls. and when you add your proxy to /etc/profile guess what would happen. The browser would cease to work. so yeah you might be able to get gpodder and maemo and some few apps to connect to the internet. your broswer would stop working. and to use the browser, you would need to open terminal and use vi to comment out the http_proxy line. reboot the device and then you can use the browser ( which would mean you wont be able to use any other app till you uncomment the http_proxy line and reboot the device again). you also have to do the same thing if you want to use a 3g network or use another wireless connection which doesnt require proxy.,. now if add proxy to /etc/profile fixes all the problem than i would be a happier man but it doesnt. it works with only apps that use libcurls which are much. so you still miss out on internet radio, qik, conversation and all the plugin (twitter,irc,yahoo, msn etc) wikitunes, mastory.
I have used symbian, windows, mac, iphoneOS, LInux (kde and gnome) and maemo has the worst proxy support I have ever seen in an OS. Appalling is an understatement

My Blog

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Why don't you try it first, hmm?
I have tried it and its still didnt work. I have a bug filed for like every internet aware 3rd party app I use because they all dont work with the system wide proxy settings you add to your wifi profile. I feel the pain so i know exactly what am talking about. 100% of 3rd party apps on maemo dont have proxy support. It has been a problem with the N810 but things just nose dived with N900. If you are behind a network proxy like your main connection is through a proxy (like many university students and cooperate workers) Just forget the N900 infact only the web browser and skype works.. no other core app works. no Internet radio, no gtalk, even though application manager works you need to use your proxy IP address instead of the hostname other wise the nokia repo wont load... Has if that is not enough.. you wont be able to use gpodder,mauku,qik,OMWeather,all the cool conversation pluggin, wikitunes .. i mean just think of any application that requires internet to work.. there would fail on the N900 if you are behind a proxy. and yeah I have filed a bug against almost everyone of them.. so am not just sitting down groaning

My Blog

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
once i added the facebook plugin and enabled the account I only see a few of my facebook contacts. why would this be. are there setting for plugin or in facebook that affect this?
Facebook only exports contacts which are online in their chat API, so the remaining ones will be added as soon as they log in to facebook.

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by hwong_pz View Post
Really? I always thought only MSN Protocol Plugin for Conversations and Contacts is part of Extra Protocol Plugins for Conversations and Contacts where both uses telepathy-butterfly for MSN, while Pidgin Protocols Plugin for Conversations and Contacts uses telepathy-haze on the other hand. Packages included in both "Extra Protocol Plugins for Conversations and Contacts" and "Pidgin Protocols Plugin for Conversations and Contacts" are different as well.
Check the dependencies of telepathy-extras (Extra Protocol Plugins For Conversations And Contacts):

Code:
Depends:account-plugin-haze, account-plugin-butterfly, account-plugin-salut
So, if you install telepathy-extras, you would have both telepathy-haze, and telepathy-butterfly.

The Following User Says Thank You to felipec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have tried it and its still didnt work. I have a bug filed for like every internet aware 3rd party app I use because they all dont work with the system wide proxy settings you add to your wifi profile. I feel the pain so i know exactly what am talking about. 100% of 3rd party apps on maemo dont have proxy support. It has been a problem with the N810 but things just nose dived with N900. If you are behind a network proxy like your main connection is through a proxy (like many university students and cooperate workers) Just forget the N900 infact only the web browser and skype works.. no other core app works. no Internet radio, no gtalk, even though application manager works you need to use your proxy IP address instead of the hostname other wise the nokia repo wont load... Has if that is not enough.. you wont be able to use gpodder,mauku,qik,OMWeather,all the cool conversation pluggin, wikitunes .. i mean just think of any application that requires internet to work.. there would fail on the N900 if you are behind a proxy. and yeah I have filed a bug against almost everyone of them.. so am not just sitting down groaning
If Skype works, Facebook should as well. They both use telepathy, so they should both be equally aware of proxies.

Tags
facebook chat n900 maemo