Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
This is the freerider's dilemma. What if everyone makes the rational choice to buy the cheaper tablet? That may jeopardise the project.
thay should have opted for telling people to buy that tablet(android one) after they published the os and asked people to donate 20-30$ for their hard work, im sure most of the FOSS community that would have used it would be glad to do it, but this is just greedy behavoiur

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Well it's not gonna program itself, is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to impact For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
charging alot of money for GNU/Linux that is supposed to be free(and here it costs as much as windows...)
That's a common misconception. Linux is not supposed to be free of charge. Anybody can sell it for any price. There are or were numerous companies that sell or sold Linux:
Red Hat, Novell, Oracle, Linpus, Xandros, LinuxXP, Caldera/SCO
(just to name the ones that come to my mind immediately)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That's a common misconception. Linux is not supposed to be free of charge. Anybody can sell it for any price. There are or were numerous companies that sell or sold Linux:
Red Hat, Novell, Oracle, Linpus, Xandros, LinuxXP, Caldera/SCO
(just to name the ones that come to my mind immediately)
those are free dists with paid SUPPORT

all of them "unsupported" free versions for non-corporate usage

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-08 at 19:38.

Originally Posted by impact View Post
Well it's not gonna program itself, is it?
actually they didnt develop it, not even 1% , are they going to share the money they earn with all the people that are developing linux for the last 20 years?

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-08 at 19:53.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Aaron Seigo's blog dated 2nd Feb gives a good explanation of the project.
He does say on the very subject you're debating now:
Q: Does that mean I will be able to install Plasma Active on a C71 device I purchased elsewhere?
A: Yes, that's all in the spirit of openness. However, if you break it, you get to keep both pieces. Keep in mind that by purchasing a Spark you will help drive development of Plasma Active, Mer and the push towards an open ARM ecosystem.
Which is why I'm inclined to pre-order from them. This isn't just about buying a tablet; it's about trying to help back a new open device era.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Aaron Seigo's blog dated 2nd Feb gives a good explanation of the project.
He does say on the very subject you're debating now:

Which is why I'm inclined to pre-order from them. This isn't just about buying a tablet; it's about trying to help back a new open device era.
yeah...if this goes anywhere ill donate a sum of money to them that i consider fair, maybe even multiple times, depends on how long they continue to update the device...but im sure as hell not buying a device from them for this price and than risking to get stuck with an OS that is going nowhere...

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-08 at 20:10.

thay should have opted for telling people to buy that tablet(android one) after they published the os and asked people to donate 20-30$ for their hard work, im sure most of the FOSS community that would have used it would be glad to do it, but this is just greedy behavoiur
You can always donate on your own.

But to call it greedy is likely to completely fail to understand what it's like dealing with a chinese OEM. I suspect part of the price may be in paying the OEM the ransom they're demanding for the kernel, combined with direct shipment of a low volume of tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
You can always donate on your own.

But to call it greedy is likely to completely fail to understand what it's like dealing with a chinese OEM. I suspect part of the price may be in paying the OEM the ransom they're demanding for the kernel, combined with direct shipment of a low volume of tablets.
its 125$ shipped when ordering just one piece from retailer...it can just get lower than that when ordering more than one

for instance this tablet costs 88$ when ordered in quantity of 501 or more

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-02-08 at 20:17.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
those are free dists with paid SUPPORT

all of them "unsupported" free versions for non-corporate usage
You won't get RHEL for free without support. I tried two years ago. The same goes for SLES and Oracle.
LinuxXP is shareware that wil stop working after 30 days unless you buy a license.
Linpus and Xandros (stand alone) have never been available in binary form without buying them.
Caldera is discontinued.

bottom line: You won't get any of the distributions I mentioned in binary form without paying for it, regardless whether you want support for it or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: