You should be able to edit documents in Google docs, provided that the browser is capable.

I find it funny that people with the n9 here request features that are already present in WP7, but yet complain about WP7 lol.

I can confirm that editing docs in google docs doesn't really work, and that's using GApp. Grumble.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dockman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
Is Gnumeric available for the N9 yet? It can save spreadsheets as that crappy MS format, so it should be able to read them too.

Originally Posted by hotnikkelz View Post
You should be able to edit documents in Google docs, provided that the browser is capable.

I find it funny that people with the n9 here request features that are already present in WP7, but yet complain about WP7 lol.
But there's more to a smartphone than editing MS Office docs just as there is more to life than a smartphone.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
No gnumeric yet I wanted to try and install the deb from the n900 version, just to see if it worked, but haven't been able to find it.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stuttgart, Germany
[...]I find it funny that people with the n9 here request features that are already present in WP7, but yet complain about WP7 lol.
Have you ever tried to copy a office-file to your WP7, without sending it to yourself via eMail or hacking the registry?
I think you get my point...

(sorry for OT)

medri

The Following User Says Thank You to medri For This Useful Post:
@SamGan
No doubt about that. Not seeing your point though.

@medri
My point still stands. I rather have the ability with a VERY easy 'workaround' than not having the option at all. I have no need to do all that you mentioned. I just have my documents in skydrive. If you're not sure how to use the device you shouldn't comment on its shortcomings

@Dockman
If google docs doesn't work, it MAY be an issue with browser compatibility? What is the issue? rendering? Google usually uses open standards, so i ASSUME google docs is mostly html5 based with ajax. May be it'll come to the n9 browser with an update. Does Windows Live Office apps work? I'm not sure if Microsoft uses silverlight in there, if so then it'll be a no go as well. Worth the try I suppose.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
It should be able to edit MS Office files which is the main point of an Office editor. Creating an entire document on a phone screen is a bit of a pain don't you think?
Yea, if it is a major production you are better off using a pc to make MS office document. A major part of the problem is that a significant portion of the screen has to be taken up with the VKB. So only minor editing makes sense in general. I just happen to realize that if you measure the diagonal made by the bottom corner of n900 keyboard to upper opposite corner of screen you have about 4.5 inches. This is about the size of the latest high end phones screen (albeit with an different form factor). The effective 4.5 inch screen you get (compared to a phone with no HWKB) makes editing a document more bearable and probably sets a lower limit for how small a screen should be to have reasonable productivity (at least for me). The Galaxy Note has a 5.3 inch screen. It comes with an editor called Polaris. I don't know much about that editor. I'm supposed to get mine Thursday.

Another option (and my favorite!) is if Latex could work on N9. That would be great as the entire document is made by editing a tex document that, after it is processed, can be viewed as a pdf.

@SamGan
No doubt about that. Not seeing your point though.
My point is that nobody will cast off their N9 for a Lumia just because of the ability to edit MS Office docs. It is just not a deal breaker.

I didn't say anything about Lumia....Lumia sucks.

Anyway on topic. Has anyone tried using the n9 on windows live office apps to see it they work?

The Following User Says Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post: