Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi
does Maemo 5 support left-handed users?
Fortunately, unlike the N810, the N900 hardware (buttons) doesn't
seem to be optimized only for right-handed users any more.
But how about the UI?
For instance, can I swap the position of the X (window close button) or is that hardcoded?

Thanks

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Is that a lefthanded, righthanded thing?

I´m lefthanded, as is my wife, my parents, my younger brother and both sets of my grandparents. Never heard of that before

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
As a left handed, I'm a bit worried about the right side space bar and having my left hand over all the left side sensors ... proximity mostly?

We'll see how this goes...
(on the n810 i keep dimming the light of the screen as my left hand darkens the light sensor!)

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
Funny, I thought the N8XX series favored lefties because the D pad is on the left side.

But I think 5 should be better, screen-wise for left handed people, since there's no more scrollbars. That was the main reason I never bothered with Windows touch interface... there's no way to use a stylus in you left hand without covering up the window.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eric G For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Funny, I thought the N8XX series favored lefties because the D pad is on the left side.
Not if you're using the stylus with your left hand. Then you have to switch the stylus to the right hand or hold it in some non-optimal fingers of your left hand while using your thumb on the D-pad.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
Not if you're using the stylus with your left hand. Then you have to switch the stylus to the right hand or hold it in some non-optimal fingers of your left hand while using your thumb on the D-pad.
years ago i had an IBM 730te ..one of the best things about it was that all the buttons were designed to be...get this... pressed with a stylus. Being a lefty and having mainly had pen based products for years I have just gotten used to dealing with unadaptable software .
Course it is also sad that the handwriting recognition on Windows 3.11 with pen extensions was so much better than Nokia has ever been.
Still using a Tablet designed for a right-hander is still better that ever using a spiral notebook left-handed again and the lack of ink smeared on my hand is a plus

Last edited by n9ots; 2009-10-14 at 02:32. Reason: idiocy