Notices

Oh wow, sorry I wasn't paying attention for edits. :P

Is the N810 still feasible? The much faster N900 is barely holding ground as a smart(phone) device, and second hand price is dropping like it's hot.

feasable? Yes. The Opera browser did add life to the device and NAVIT was a godsend over Maemomapper (and now OviMaps which I tried out on the road today. No turn warnings and no live rerouting. Absolute fail). You can do a lot but it's slow as hell and the newer features on FB etc. lack of a functioning twitter app just got on my nerves after a while. I do miss that relatively HUGE screen though. It was the first difference I noticed (aside from the fact that this 900 is huge). I bought the 900 'cause the phone I was using to tether was starting to go south so I decided if I was going to lay out for phone then it was either an iPhone or N900. I may still regret the decision, but I figure I am deep in Apple (Macbook, iPad, Tower) that I can keep up with IOS stuff (which I need to do professionally) but still use this as my linux/unix escape. That and I enjoy not having to carry around a mess of devices. I had an 800 and had to buy a special carrier for the external GPS, phone and tablet. I don't miss that at all. I bought the 900 off ebay for much less than 1/2 it was retailing for. I refused to pay the retail price for this given how Nokia has had a habit of dropping support quickly and the app developers (not all) essentially drop all updates. Honestly had someone created a FB widget/client that supported places and a twitter client/widget for the 810/Diablo I'd probably have not bought the 900.

But this is waaaay off topic. lol
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Thanks for sharing anyway. I didn't realize you have all those Maemo devices. I'm a professional signature ignorer.

simpler instructions than managing sources with fapman:

echo "deb http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/ unstable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/navit.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-navit navit navit-graphics-qt-qpainter navit-gui-qml

Some time ago I had a somewhat working navit configuration, including text-to-speech svg-icons and OSD, mostly scrounged together from this forum. Then an update came and navit crashed on start. I got it running again by removing my custom configuration files. But no map, no OSD, not even GPS. I was able to fix gps and map, but the rest is still broken.

Does anyone have a working configuration for navit on the n900?

Is it not possible to distribute a working configuration for navit on the n900 together with the navit package?

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ germany
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
simpler instructions than managing sources with fapman:

echo "deb http://bokomoko.de/~rd/maemo/ unstable/" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/navit.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-navit navit navit-graphics-qt-qpainter navit-gui-qml
Hi

Trying to install today I get the following error:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
navit: Depends: navit-data (= 0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4772) but 0.2.0~svn2916+dfsg.1-1maemo1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Any way I can solve this would be appreciated - Thanks

mykey

Would someone pleeeeeeease show me how to use garmin maps on navit... am a noob so step by step please...

i installed navit from repos and navit-dbg and downloaded a bin map and put it in navit_maps folder in MyDocs and pointed maps.xml to that bin file and it worked but when trying to use garmin it's a hell of mess.

when i try to download libgarmin the way this site http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Garmin_maps says to xterminal says "svn not found".

so i tried to find this libgarmin some other way and finally after some long search i found a deb file that installs libgarmin svn-20080313
i installed it and did what the above site says about editing maps.xml and navit.xml but garmin map still doesn't appear in navit..

help me please ASAP..

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by mykey View Post
Hi

Trying to install today I get the following error:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
navit: Depends: navit-data (= 0.2.0+dfsg.1-1maemo1~4772) but 0.2.0~svn2916+dfsg.1-1maemo1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Any way I can solve this would be appreciated - Thanks

mykey
I think the problem is that you have still old navit packages from the extras repository installed.

I suggest to remove first all navit packages. Maybe

apt-get purge navit navit-data navit-dbg <and other packages you have installed>

To find packages you have installed, list the navit packages by

apt-cache serach navit

Then

apt-cache show <package-name>

should tell you, if the package is installed.

it's not exactly maemo/n900, but:

is there a way to configure navit to show a marker for the location it shows? ie, when i search for a street, navit shows a map of the area -- but no indicator where in the area shown the street is!
for larger cities with many streets this means that the search is nearly useless, since i am unable to locate the street (no name shown) and when zooming i might as well move away from that street.

Having problems launching navit. fap installed all well but when i launch navit from the terminal line it gave me following message:

navit:main_real:trying /home/user/.navit/navit.xml
plugin_osso: osso_navit: error initiating osso context
navit: plugin_load:can't load '/opt/navit/lib/navit/osd/libosd_core.so', already loaded

any idea? if i try to start it from icon, it breaks..

greets

matthias

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap