Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello,

Currently, I use my GV account through Gizmo SIP backend. Is there any known way to use Skype to use as outgoing call provider (with paid minutes)?

Thanks.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Yup. My app (qgvdial) can call out using skype. Links are in the sig.
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
I can't seem to find it from app-manager with extra repos installed. deb file from google code gives dependency missing error. What is the recommended way of installing this app? I recall installing this before and asking you a similar question

Once you've opened up access to the repositories, in xterm:
Code:
sudo gainroot
then
Code:
apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dbus libqt4-gui libqt4-maemo5 libqt4-network libqt4-phonon libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-webkit libqt4-xml libqtm-bearer libqtm-multimedia libtelepathy-qt4-0
After this browse to the project's downloads section and download the deb. If you're using microb, then it will ask if you want to open it in the App Manager. Click yes, and it should install without errors.

Btw: Just so that you can try this out: The desktop version of qgvdial is also able to use desktop Skype to call out.

qgvdial can call out:
1. Using Skype on Linux, Windows and Maemo5
2. Using SIP on Linux and Maemo5
3. Using your phone provider on Maemo5

Just root suffices for me. I have had to install 3 more packages to fullfill installation requirements. Sorry cant tell exact package names, terminal was closed mistakenly.

Anyways, I get qgvdial up. Now the question how to select Skype as backend. That would be great if this were to be integrated into the conversation widget. I like having all different call options listed on one place.

Non Maemo5 versions are good for those who doesnt have N900 yet

Originally Posted by gsever View Post
Now the question how to select Skype as backend.
Main menu -> Settings: has a combobox where you can select skype dial out. The entry is called "spirit" because thats what the skype call manager is known as on the n900.

I know the UI is really shitty right now - I'm aesthetically challenged.
There is a newer UI in the works, but it is still "not good enough".

That would be great if this were to be integrated into the conversation widget. I like having all different call options listed on one place.
That would require me to write a connection manager (like TOR). As of this instant I have no plans for doing that.
Yes I know it sucks not to have it all in one place, but I have a workaround: Use fcrochiks MyContacts. That widget allows dialing out using qgvdial.

Currently, spirit (hard to guess it is for skype ) it is spirit:undefined mode in my settings.

When I try to call a number it forwards me a xxxxxx0537 number, and then it pops up "Incorrect message". I could confirm it brings the skype screen showing my minutes.

In voice.google settings I forward my calls to Gizmo. I wonder if somethings need to be setup there?

I will try MyContacts, and see how it works...

MyContact is a bit different than the actual contacts app. I couldn't add a new contact throught MyContact window. For the Skype do you set it on call forwarding or call out # section?

Currently, spirit (hard to guess it is for skype ) it is spirit:undefined mode in my settings.

When I try to call a number it forwards me a xxxxxx0537 number, and then it pops up "Incorrect message". I could confirm it brings the skype screen showing my minutes.

In voice.google settings I forward my calls to Gizmo. I wonder if somethings need to be setup there?

I will try MyContacts, and see how it works...
Just to confirm: When you use spirit, does the number that you see on the skype screen have an international prefix? It should be "+1aaabbbcccc".
If it isn't then skype won't be able to call it and that is a bug in qgvdial.

Your voice.google.com callback settings don't matter to qgvdial - qgvdial will use the callback you have set up in qgvdial.
qgvdial will look at the registered phone numbers in the google voice servers - so if you add a number to GV using the web interface, you'll need to logout and login back in qgvdial so that it picks up those settings.