Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Hi,

Does anyone know what partition types are supported for the SD card on the N900?
I have inserted a card with two ext3 partitions, but the Settings app says it is corrupted. Mounting from the terminal works perfectly though.
In short, is this a bug or a feature?

Fat, Fat32, Ext2, and Ext3 are all partition types I've successfully tested on the NIT. Don't know about support for any others though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Fat, Fat32, Ext2, and Ext3 are all partition types I've successfully tested on the NIT. Don't know about support for any others though.
Thanks for the info.
Have you tried a card with multiple partitions? Maybe that is the issue here.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'm guessing it can be both... a bug and a feature

I've been experimenting some more. I can't get a SD Card with a single ext3 partition to auto-mount either. I've also tried a card with a single FAT32 partition and that did work!
Is there an official reference on what partition types are supported on Maemo 5?

Multiple partitions works, but Maemo looks at you kinda funny and gets a bit grumpy on the side because of it, but it'll handle it. At least it did when I last tested it.

cat /proc/filesystems on my n810 lists
sysfs rootfs bdev proc debugfs securityfs socksfs usbfs pipefs futexfs tmpfs inotifyfs eventpollfs devpts ramfs jffs2 mqueue msdos vfat

In addition, http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum....x/node12.html says that /mnt/initfs/lib/modules has the kernel modules.
In /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1, the following filesystem modules are present:
ext2.ko
ext3.ko
gadgetfs.ko (?)

It's of course possible to install and use other filesystems (Microsofts SMB, for instance) with the right packages, but this is (I think) what ships.

Tags
n900, partition, sd card