Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Btw, do you know if Ovi Maps has 3d buildings in N900? If so, could you provide a screenshot?

http://maemo.nokia.com/features/ovi-maps/

Seems like 3D buildings are included..

The Following User Says Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
The N900's GPS chip is the TI Navilink 6.0 (the same as Omnia HD), which provides Bluetooth, FM receiver/transceiver, A-GPS and supports 802.11 b/g/n.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Default, 2D view:
3D view, toggled via the on-screen compass:
Thanks. But that seems to be an angled map, and not a first person perspective like on a TomTom:

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by generationally View Post
http://maemo.nokia.com/features/ovi-maps/

Seems like 3D buildings are included..
Interesting, but up so far I've not seen any report from any device holder.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Btw, do you know if Ovi Maps has 3d buildings in N900? If so, could you provide a screenshot?
There's toggle On/Off button with an icon of a building on it, but it does not make little 3D buildings appear on the map though, no.

The closest alternative appears to be satellite view:

Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
Thanks. But that seems to be an angled map, and not a first person perspective like on a TomTom...
I'm not arguing Ovi Maps has features equal to TomTom or any other competitor. I'm just trying to answer questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
There's toggle On/Off button with an icon of a building on it, but it does not make little 3D buildings appear on the map though, no.
I would imagine it would work like in Ovi Maps on S60, i.e., only selected well-known buildings/landmarks are shown in 3D. What if you try the city center of some major city like Barcelona or London?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by generationally View Post
I would imagine it would work like in Ovi Maps on S60, i.e., only selected well-known buildings/landmarks are shown in 3D. What if you try the city center of some major city like Barcelona or London?
Ah, I see, though I don't see the utility. Anyway, I tried two of the preloaded searches: the Empire State Building and Oxford Street, London. No little buildings. Perhaps they'll be coming later in an update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
Thanks. But that seems to be an angled map, and not a first person perspective like on a TomTom:

That's just an angled map too, isn't it?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Although the performance of the GPS on the N900 has been sublime when an internet connection is available, it has been terrible without one. I have taken my N900 on a three day trip abroad and have not been able to get a fix once. Can others confirm this?

As for the 3D buildings, they are there on my device. The attached screenshot is shows the city hall and stock exchange of Brussels.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joenix For This Useful Post: