Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
Why does one need to exist? Browser is full Firefox engine. maps.google.com should render nicely on the N900.
Yes, but layout and controls are not optimized on the default google maps site. Try my version and see what I mean.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by 0Dark Knight0 View Post
so is there going to be a solution 4 this???!!
Yes. In my "lab", I currently even have a version running with Streetview :-)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
I'm curious about this as well. I was considering only getting a data/web plan from Tmobile. I heard there might be one for $10 a month. If this is true, it might be possible using Skype and Google Voice to get all your SMS and voice calling via a cheap data plan on the N900. That would rock to only pay $10 for unlimited data only, and still get voice and SMS.
I have tried XMPP voice calls over EDGE on the N900, but sound is choppy and there is too much latency. This is due to the limitations of EDGE though. I don't know how well it works on 3G networks.

Skype and XMPP voice work really well on wireless though. The sound quality is very high. I've had a few incoming Skype calls that did not connect properly (no sound), but then I just dial back.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Moving right along. What can be sent out over the USB port? Scenario I'm thinking of here is if I want to build a dock (since Nokia is not going to have one available as a standard accessory), I've got the USB port on one side, the AV port on the other. Can I pipe A/V out through the USB, or would that require USB host or USB on the go, (which when I last searched was either not available or couldn't be certified because the certifying agency will not certify a port to charge and be host).
When you connect the N900 to a PC over USB, the device pops up a question whether to connect as a mass storage device or in PC-suite mode.
The PC-suite mode turns the N900 into a CDC Ethernet device. For example, on Ubuntu it shows up as the usb0 network interface.
From there you can do everything you would do over a usual network, like SSH, VNC, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joenix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peio View Post
Hi

I have 2 questions about "issues" in media player and phone app, that maybe have been solved in the newer firmwares:

1. In the Artists view of the media player, is there a column of letters on the right to scroll directly to the artists beginning with that letter? (like in contact view where you scroll by groups of 3 letters if I remember well)

1. Has "smart dial" been implemented in the phone app in portrait, taking advantage of the T9 keyboard?? It seems silly that it's only working in landscape

thanks!
Up please?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
In short, "yes". No receiver. (There are some other differences too but that's the one that matters. For a remote control you would have to load the codes to change channel etc. by other means, instead of programming it through a receiver the way I can with my Palm T3).

Has it been confirmed that there IS no receiver?
People have been using irda ports for some time to send consumer IR signals. If there really is no receiver that would make the N900 very unique. No other Nokia phone has ever had a IR transmitter only (always a receiver/transmitter combination).

I know the manual says the port is not IrDA compatible, but I don't think that necessarily says anything about the hardware.
I'm under the impression that IrDA is a combination of hardware and protocol support. The fact that a device doesn't have any software to support these protocols, makes the device NOT IrDA compatible.
Has anybody seen pictures of the insides of the device? You should be able to tell if it is only a transmitter or receiver/transmitter combination.

Well, as you say, the manual says that "the infrared port is not IrDA compatible". It also says that no software on the device uses it, but that 3party software could. To me this sounds like the _hardware_ isn't IrDA compatible, and to several of us this is understood as there's no receiver.

I guess we'll know for certain shortly.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
i made one for you, have a look here.

it stopped when i tested to manually focus (must've pressed the camera button all the way, the camera application started).

edit: actually searching for "n900" on qik.com reveals a lot of videos taken with the n900. perhaps there's another lesson to be learned here as well?
Sure, the lesson is from the tone of this thread. People who want to see enthusiastic comments about the N900 from people who already have one don't SEARCH enough, haven't read the 'tidbits' that are out there all over the place, and are mostly out of their mind.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Posts regarding shipping N900 shipping dates have moved to "OPK: N900 deliveries have now started!!" Please keep all such posts in that thread. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
qik video streaming, sparta