Not sure if anybody else over here got a response, but here it goes

Dear Nokia,

It has been well over two weeks since the release of PR1.1 (2.2011.39-5_PR_RM680) of the MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan operating system for the Nokia N950. As required by the GNU GPL v2 which the Linux kernel is licensed under, please would you publicly release the source code for Linux 2.6.32.39-dfl61-20113701 which is the version of the kernel that came with PR1.1.

Due to the restrictive security policy in Harmattan, many developers must build their own kernel in order to develop in Open Mode. I'm sure you can appreciate that this delay is impeding many community developers who need to develop in Open Mode.

I fail to understand why there has been any delay in releasing the source as I believe you are in violation of the GPL as long as the source continues to be unavailable. Please ensure that in future you release the kernel source code simultaneously with any kernel updates.

Thank you for you time and attention.
RESPONSE

Hi,

The sources we are obligated to release according to the licenses they are under, should be all available here: http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/...an-beta3/free/ Please let me know if something’s missing and we’ll look into it. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Henri Tanskanen

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sabresh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Show your uname -a (2.6.32.39-dfl61-20113701) and state that it does not match kernel_2.6.32-20112910+0m6.tar.gz - it should definately be 20113701 instead.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I got 2 DVDs with source code of software from Nokia. One with Maemo5 and one with Harmattan. I did not checked all tarballs, but it seems to be same source code as in both SDK repositories...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sabresh View Post
Not sure if anybody else over here got a response, but here it goes

Dear Nokia,

It has been well over two weeks since the release of PR1.1 (2.2011.39-5_PR_RM680) of the MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan operating system for the Nokia N950. As required by the GNU GPL v2 which the Linux kernel is licensed under, please would you publicly release the source code for Linux 2.6.32.39-dfl61-20113701 which is the version of the kernel that came with PR1.1.

Due to the restrictive security policy in Harmattan, many developers must build their own kernel in order to develop in Open Mode. I'm sure you can appreciate that this delay is impeding many community developers who need to develop in Open Mode.

I fail to understand why there has been any delay in releasing the source as I believe you are in violation of the GPL as long as the source continues to be unavailable. Please ensure that in future you release the kernel source code simultaneously with any kernel updates.

Thank you for you time and attention.
Hmmm, that email looks remarkably similar to the one I wrote to them here.

Anyway, here is the reponse I got when I pointed out that the Beta 3 kernel source doesn't match the PR1.1 kernel source.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I got 2 DVDs with source code of software from Nokia. One with Maemo5 and one with Harmattan. I did not checked all tarballs, but it seems to be same source code as in both SDK repositories...
Just to confirm then, for Maemo5/N900 development, it's just as good to use the SDK. Where as, for Harmattan on should apply to Nokia in writing?

For those who do wish to obtain the source discs from Nokia, where is the info on what to include in the correspondence? Apologies if it's in the Wiki - I couldn't find it under "source", "source code" or "obtain source".

From a personal perspective, although it's a bit of a hassle to use traditional mail, as opposed to electronic means, there's something to be said for having a physical entity; To me, it's like for reference books: having a physical copy of a is better than just the e-version. Also, if you edit the source (intentionally or by accident), the original isn't going to change if it's on read-only media.

Interesting point made by Pelago on that post in the meego forum about how sources need to be available for every binary released. Perhaps updates to source should be available electronically, otherwise Nokia might going to run out of stamps!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Hmmm, that email looks remarkably similar to the one I wrote to them here.

Anyway, here is the reponse I got when I pointed out that the Beta 3 kernel source doesn't match the PR1.1 kernel source.
Yes, that was the source of my mail. Just wanted to put in some added pressure to ensure action . Thanks for starting it though.

Next step - they're going to provide sources as text physically printed on paper, in form resembling phone number books. Hand-written copies of source code, are waiting to be introduced in new year. It's a new way of keeping Nokia workers occupied, thus ceasing lay-off's.

Nokia is really becoming hopeless beyond point of triple facepalm.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Next step - they're going to provide sources as text physically printed on paper, in form resembling phone number books. Hand-written copies of source code, are waiting to be introduced in new year. It's a new way of keeping Nokia workers occupied, thus ceasing lay-off's.

Nokia is really becoming hopeless beyond point of triple facepalm.
They're fully allowed by the GPL to distribute this way. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html and this is the way that's noted in the device guides. Section 3, paragraph b.

That said, medium customarily used for software interchange -- some of you might not be old enough, but printed on paper source code used to be perfectly normal..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-12-01 at 07:07.

Of course they're allowed to do so. Still, that doesn't mean it's optimal, not only for receivers, but - IMO - also for them (Nokians).

That said, lets leave alone laughs @ nokia - I'll be happy, as far as we can get correct source codes. Even printed on paper
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Since this thread is showing up in Google searches, I'll post a link to the PR1.1 open kernel that was finally compiled from correct sources:

http://maemo.cloud-7.de/HARM/N9/openmode_kernel_PR1.1/

And here is the thread to watch for developments.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: