Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi rotoflex,

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
On the page
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist

Lack of clarity... remains unclear to someone coming to maemo.org as to what a "blocker" is. It sounds more like a technical component found in code, but could be community slang for anything. The explanation should specifically state what it is maemo.org slang for:
I agree. This is a really good first opportunity to make changes in the wiki! I have taken a couple of your suggestions into account already, and modified the pages appropriately (I hope).

A "blocker" is "a bug which blocks the package from being promoted to Extras" - as such, only serious problems should block packages. These problems should cover filesystem corruption & systemic overuse, excessive power consumption in normal operation, legal issues, lack of a community reporting mechanism, and any non-edge-case crasher bugs.

I personally disagree with the "blocker" list on 2 points: not all crashers or incomplete features should be blockers, IMHO - if an application crashes when some unusual set of circumstances happens, then it should still get promoted; and I don't think we should be policing "missing announced features".

So if you would like to update the lead-in paragraph to elaborate on what is meant by a blocker, then I would be delighted! Just log in, click on the edit link beside the paragraph, and update. Everything is version controlled, so you have a safety net to roll back if you are unhappy with the result.

Good luck!
Dave.

Hi,

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
I'll gladly volunteer, but like other things, I can't figure out how.
Here to help (although as you can tell, I don't keep abreast of the forum very often).

First stop: our getting started in the wiki page, linked to whenever you edit a page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Contributing_to_the_wiki

You have a simple but multi-step process to follow to get on the first step:
  1. You need a Garage account first
  2. Then on the wiki, click on "Log in/register"
  3. Enter your username & password from Garage
  4. Go to the page you want to edit
  5. Either click on the "Edit" link beside a section heading you want to edit, or click on the "Edit" item in the "Views" section on the right-hand side menu
  6. Now simply update the content you want to update in the edit pane (here's a very simple overview of wiki page editing)

You can also edit the wiki anonymously, if you know how to do simple additions.

I hope this helps you get started!

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
I personally disagree with the "blocker" list on 2 points: not all crashers or incomplete features should be blockers, IMHO - if an application crashes when some unusual set of circumstances happens, then it should still get promoted; and I don't think we should be policing "missing announced features".
Of course, there's a difference between clarifying language/fixing typos and changing the meaning of the QA criteria used for testing apps. One of them can be done by anybody, the other requires consensus.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Of course, there's a difference between clarifying language/fixing typos and changing the meaning of the QA criteria used for testing apps. One of them can be done by anybody, the other requires consensus.
... or, at least, discussion (concensus is a bit harder to achieve).

Agreed. Just pointing out that I don't agree with all the things we consider blockers (and am on the record as saying that the extras-testing process places too much of a burden on app developers & packagers).

Just my opinion, of course.

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post: