Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I think it's a bit cheeky for the Chinese firm to use Maemo, unless they are in partnership with Nokia and that the two firms work together rather than against each other.
It's only cheeky if they've forked it and don't release their changes.

Why would they have to be in partnership with Nokia (apart from the technical problems and assumption in the current Maemo codeset)? It's in Nokia's interest to get other parties using Maemo - even without their involvement; which is why Maemo is open source.

The pitch for Maemo is to build a portable UMPC/Internet Tablet OS out of open source components, whilst that's tied to Nokia hardware and software releases, it'll never take off. A cheap UMPC using the same OS, however, would be wonderful.

Maybe the Maemo platform will become that little bit more hardware agnostic, the very issue which blighted the transition from 770 to N800.
Indeed.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS. Why the separate thread? With the old version of the software, the news announcement would have gone into the existing thread. Any chance they could be merged?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
it's powered by PXA 270 CPU 520MHz, not too bad, I wished that my N800 have that cpu instead.
I believe the OMAP2 320Mhz CPU in the N800 to be superior to the PXA270 520Mhz - they're different architecture generations and you can't compare clock directly. The OMAP2 2420 also has better hardware support - IVA, PowerVR MBX and DSP - I just wish Nokia made better use of them, or at least provided the information so that non-Nokia developers can help (bl**dy NDA's).

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
It's only cheeky if they've forked it and don't release their changes.

Why would they have to be in partnership with Nokia (apart from the technical problems and assumption in the current Maemo codeset)? It's in Nokia's interest to get other parties using Maemo - even without their involvement; which is why Maemo is open source.
Yes, avoiding a fork - that's pretty much what I meant by being in partnership I guess, a poor choice of words. Anyone who uses Maemo should agree not to fork it, although that isn't possible to prevent if someone is determined to do so.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
By the time the N900 is out, SDHC cards will be 16GB or more in size - why wish for power sucking HDDs when you can store all your data in battery friendly flash?
Good point.

Also consider the Bluetooth/WiFi equipped HDD companion devices such as the Bluonyx that will allow you to carry your data in centralised storage.
Yeah. If I had the time to put in to it, I'd look into getting an NFS server on the PMA430 and an NFS client on the 770, so I could basically do that. No reason it wouldn't work, although given that I sometimes get my Internet connectivity via WiFi and sometimes via Bluetooth, arranging for the NFS link to be stable no matter what network I was on would be complicated.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd be all for a harddrive in the N900... just make sure the OS boots off of internal memory and that the HDD is smart enough to stop spinning when not in use. Perfect for saving juice when need be.

Or back to my original stance of releasing battery powered hardware modules that work either via bluetooth or USB. (Want storage? Plug it in. Want a webcam? Plug it in. Don't want either? You'll still buy the base device. Everyone's happy.)

... of course that idea won't make it into the N900 which, by my calculations, should be released in two weeks featuring the amazing improvement of ultrablue LEDs under the buttons.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
... of course that idea won't make it into the N900 which, by my calculations, should be released in two weeks featuring the amazing improvement of ultrablue LEDs under the buttons.
Hah! Feeling sarcastic, eh?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
I'd be all for a harddrive in the N900... just make sure the OS boots off of internal memory and that the HDD is smart enough to stop spinning when not in use. Perfect for saving juice when need be.
From what I've read over the years, HDDs use the most power when spinning up in which case the constant stop/starts that could result from powering down the HDD as often as possible may counter intuitively run down the battery faster than if it were left spinning longer to reduce spin up events.

Flash memory all the way... it's the future!

Exciting ! Does it run ITOS2008 ?...

Flash all the way is the only thing that makes sense. You can _replace_ flash, _upgrade_ flash, and it's inherently infinitely safer (try shaking your precious hard disk device, don't forget to pray).
With the HD stopping and starting all the time you get latency when opening files and starting applications (when the apps. are on the HD). This has been tried before, e.g. Palm Lifedrive (now discontinued, as a lot of people said would happen because it used a HD).

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Why would anyone copy the Hildon prison, we are so desparetly wanting to break out of?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Why would anyone copy the Hildon prison, we are so desparetly wanting to break out of?
<gratuitous_reference_to_classic_movie_mode>

Here's your glove and ball, Mr steve McPenguinbait.

</gratuitous_reference_to_classic_movie_mode>